MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course at Another University Banshee Academics 1 07-10-2010 12:04 PM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM
How is University? adam1993 General Discussion 42 03-11-2009 05:56 PM
Sad Truth About Relationships marauderlove General Discussion 2 03-24-2008 10:51 AM

Relationships in a University

Old 09-14-2010 at 04:09 PM   #91
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
Why do you pretend like there is no innate scale of attractiveness built in all of us. Every person can roughly agree as to which guy/girl is hot, which is average, and which is ugly. See, this right here, this is what ignorance is, acting like humans aren't superficial creatures. We're designed to be superficial, we're designed to mate with attractive people, going against that would be going against your natural urges, you are in essence fooling yourselves. If you want to settle for mediocre and ugly people, and trick yourself into being happy and finding them attractive out of cognitive dissonance, then that's none of my concern, I just want you to know, you did not get to this place out of your own will, you got here because of drawing the genetic short stick.
I did not pretend that there is no innate scale of attractiveness built in all of us.
However, you are so absorbed into what the media portrays as "hot" and "attractive" that you find you must put numbers on people in order determine whether or not they are hot.

The "1-10" scale varies from person to person.
So, I must ask you this, if Person A views Person C as a 9, but person B views Person X as a 5. Does that make Person C attractive? or Mediocre?
In the end, your opinion doesn't matter. Because the only person who needs to find Person C attractive, is his/her significant other. In the end, a person could be several different numbers, but does it matter if they are together anyways?

And please, don't try to argue that we all find the same person equally attractive.
Old 09-14-2010 at 04:09 PM   #92
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
oh im sorry i never knew that in a forum grammar is the most essential thing :o i was under the impression that most ppl at this point in time in life would have that basic congnative function of being able to read what sumone wrote and make sense of it without there having to be PERIODS. but then again there are those few ppl without those basic functions im truly sorry if it took every ounce of your knowledge to comprehend what i wrote poor kid stay on the topic of this discussion thread must be tiring being hated all the time
LOL! And people call me a troll.
Old 09-14-2010 at 04:38 PM   #93
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
I did not pretend that there is no innate scale of attractiveness built in all of us.
However, you are so absorbed into what the media portrays as "hot" and "attractive" that you find you must put numbers on people in order determine whether or not they are hot.

The "1-10" scale varies from person to person.
So, I must ask you this, if Person A views Person C as a 9, but person B views Person X as a 5. Does that make Person C attractive? or Mediocre?
In the end, your opinion doesn't matter. Because the only person who needs to find Person C attractive, is his/her significant other. In the end, a person could be several different numbers, but does it matter if they are together anyways?

And please, don't try to argue that we all find the same person equally attractive.
You're right, me arguing about this on some small forum is not going to have an influence on anybody. People aren't all of a sudden going to wake up from their self induced brain-dead states once they read my posts. My measures of attractiveness are somewhat influenced by the media, but then again, yours are too. What you find attractive is influenced by both your genetics and the environment. There are, however, universal attractiveness traits, symmetry, big eyes, big lips and small noses, nice skin, breast size, waist to hip ratio, etc. These traits are universal across most cultures. In men these traits include height, jawline and muscular definition.

At the end of the day, the point I've been arguing all along is that people of similar attractiveness levels (based on the traits I described above) end up with each other, studies have shown time and time again that this is the cold hard truth. Don't get mad at me, my advice to everybody is take an introductory psychology course.
Old 09-14-2010 at 05:50 PM   #94
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
You're right, me arguing about this on some small forum is not going to have an influence on anybody. People aren't all of a sudden going to wake up from their self induced brain-dead states once they read my posts. My measures of attractiveness are somewhat influenced by the media, but then again, yours are too. What you find attractive is influenced by both your genetics and the environment. There are, however, universal attractiveness traits, symmetry, big eyes, big lips and small noses, nice skin, breast size, waist to hip ratio, etc. These traits are universal across most cultures. In men these traits include height, jawline and muscular definition.

At the end of the day, the point I've been arguing all along is that people of similar attractiveness levels (based on the traits I described above) end up with each other, studies have shown time and time again that this is the cold hard truth. Don't get mad at me, my advice to everybody is take an introductory psychology course.
I'm not mad, really, I'm not. You said to debate, I'm debating, but in the end it's all opinion which isn't worth much. Because as "factual" as we can get, it's going to be 1) bias, and 2) still an opinion.
Old 09-14-2010 at 06:09 PM   #95
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

God damn...This thread started all nice and well, and now it became an argument between Souldier and a few people.

Could you people PLEASE stop fighting?

@Souldier, GET THE HELL OUT. YOU ARE KILLING THIS THREAD. FFS...
Old 09-14-2010 at 06:53 PM   #96
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

It's better to rent than to buy. No headaches; no drama.

reeves likes this.
Old 09-14-2010 at 07:03 PM   #97
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
It's better to rent than to buy. No headaches; no drama.
Clearly, you'd have some bad relationships for you to say that.
Old 09-14-2010 at 07:26 PM   #98
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
Clearly, you'd have some bad relationships for you to say that.
Narrow minded, eh. Last time I heard something like that was when jehovahs came by and I said, "I don't believe in god," and they replied with, this is verbatim, "oh you must have had a very troubling life."

I abhor these types of people.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-14-2010 at 07:35 PM   #99
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

Umm to reply to the original post (and to ignore the other random stuff going on which I only skimmed over), I think you can most definitely have a relationship in university and still meet the goals you set. Not so much in first year, because I think people should make sure they have lots of time to meet new friends. After that, I think it's definitely possible, as long as you always keep in mind to make time for friends, and not be "consumed" with spending time with the SO. Otherwise, when you graduate, you have regrets for not spending enough time with your friends, some of whom may stick around for life, whereas the person you were in a relationship in might only stick around for a little while.

I was in a relationship when I started university and I ended it quickly because I wanted a chance to meet new people and actually spend time with them. I didn't want another one since I wanted to focus on getting into veterinary school, but ended up going out with the guy who lived next door to me in res. I really really needed to keep a high average and really really needed to spend as much time as possible getting experience in veterinary clinics, so at first I was doubtful, but it actually worked out really well, and we helped each other do better in school and get involved in more activities. Plus we ensured we made time for our independent lives with different friends. We've both moved on to different things so we're just best friends now but I am very glad he happened to live next door to me .. getting into vet school would have been a very different process without him.

Anyway sorry for the long essay - I'm done at Mac, haven't posted here in ages, but I came back to MI to see who won the WW cup this year and wanted to post here since I feel strongly about the topic, lol..

Old 09-14-2010 at 07:47 PM   #100
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Narrow minded, eh. Last time I heard something like that was when jehovahs came by and I said, "I don't believe in god," and they replied with, this is verbatim, "oh you must have had a very troubling life."

I abhor these types of people.
Uh, I was just guesstimating, since normally it'd take a bad experience to generalize that relationships are all drama and headaches. It takes a bit of time to find the right relationship. But I am not narrow minded. I respect people who prefer dating or whatever else as opposed to relationships. Didn't mean to offend anyone.
Old 09-14-2010 at 09:08 PM   #101
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Oh and lol @ Tailsnake in this thread, I'm one of your facebook friends BJ, I've seen your girlfriend, not only are you both on EXACTLY equal levels of attractiveness, you guys actually look like you can be brother and sister.
LOL @ Not Being able to tell black ppl apart
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:26 PM   #102
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I'd like to also add to the aid in tips on meeting people of the opposite sex (couldn't care less about the huge arguement going on...although I admit its hilarious and entertaining)

Confidence. This is quite the double edged sword in that, you have to be happy with yourself bla bla bla but if your doing it wrong, you look like a cocky dumba$$. Just smile (as previously stated) and be humble.
Don't be arrogant.

Ps. I'm awesome.

(How to talk to women easily for under 10 bucks? a mickey of rum. or a couple of beers, confidence in a bottle)

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 09-14-2010 at 10:35 PM   #103
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
I'd like to also add to the aid in tips on meeting people of the opposite sex (couldn't care less about the huge arguement going on...although I admit its hilarious and entertaining)

Confidence. This is quite the double edged sword in that, you have to be happy with yourself bla bla bla but if your doing it wrong, you look like a cocky dumba$$. Just smile (as previously stated) and be humble.
Don't be arrogant.

Ps. I'm awesome.

(How to talk to women easily for under 10 bucks? a mickey of rum. or a couple of beers, confidence in a bottle)
I am royally screwed, then - I have zero confidence.
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:37 PM   #104
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
its not so much confidence as it is being comfortable and happy with who you are.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 09-14-2010 at 10:41 PM   #105
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Fake it.

I don't know why that isn't obvious.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.