MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course at Another University Banshee Academics 1 07-10-2010 12:04 PM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM
How is University? adam1993 General Discussion 42 03-11-2009 05:56 PM
Sad Truth About Relationships marauderlove General Discussion 2 03-24-2008 10:51 AM

Relationships in a University

Old 09-14-2010 at 10:42 PM   #106
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

I am not really comfortable with who I am, either.

How do you fake confidence...?
Old 09-14-2010 at 10:44 PM   #107
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
I am not really comfortable with who I am, either.

How do you fake confidence...?
It's called acting. Every social situation requires it.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-14-2010 at 10:45 PM   #108
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Well, I am not exactly good at acting and/or faking stuff. >.>; I guess I'll just have to do it the hard way, suck it up and try to bring my confidence out.
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:08 PM   #109
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Well, I am not exactly good at acting and/or faking stuff. >.>; I guess I'll just have to do it the hard way, suck it up and try to bring my confidence out.
Who da man? YOU da man.
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:11 PM   #110
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Who da man? YOU da man.
Lolwhut? Okay, time for me to go sleep. lD
Old 09-14-2010 at 11:55 PM   #111
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Quote:
Oh, I see. o-o; Well, I will try to do that, then. It's just that since I am socially awkward, I get really shy and it's often difficult for me to just approach people. D:
You are, by far, not the only person who feels this way. University can be a tough place to be for shy people like us, but luckily there are tons of opportunities inside and outside of the classroom to hone your social skills - tutorials, living in res, joining even just one club or society, etc. Hopefully Welcome Week at least helped to bring you out of your shell. As the year goes on and you become familiar with the new territory, you'll impress yourself by how outgoing and friendly you can actually become.

But with that said - don't put too much pressure on yourself to make friends/find a gf, or else the exact opposite might happen. I honestly believe shyness is a good quality to have ; often shy people are also good listeners, modest, hard-working and cautious. Stop calling yourself "shy" and "socially awkward" like it's a bad thing, and stop bringing yourself down with the "I have no self-confidence" nonsense. The more you say it, the truer it becomes, and it won't do you any good. As mentioned already - try pretending that you have confidence. People will believe you and start treating you like a person who has confidence. And then that will give you some confidence. It's an awesome cycle. How do you fake confidence in the first place? - that's what university is for... it's all a learning experience

Personally, just working hard at school and fulfilling my own goals was what helped me to gain confidence... but you'll find your own thing that makes you happy... I'm not giving legitimate advice here or anything, just speaking as a peer who's been there... but maybe focus on reaching your own personal goals (academic, friendships, social skills) before venturing into the [not totally necessary] dating world... remember, baby steps Keep your chin up and smile.

lizziepizzie says thanks to marcie for this post.

Old 09-15-2010 at 12:09 AM   #112
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Fake it.

I don't know why that isn't obvious.
I agree. Just listen to the song 2legit2quit a thousand times, and then be like that.

Also, a drink or two helps (not to the point where your head is spinning though).
Old 09-15-2010 at 08:03 AM   #113
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcie View Post
You are, by far, not the only person who feels this way. University can be a tough place to be for shy people like us, but luckily there are tons of opportunities inside and outside of the classroom to hone your social skills - tutorials, living in res, joining even just one club or society, etc. Hopefully Welcome Week at least helped to bring you out of your shell. As the year goes on and you become familiar with the new territory, you'll impress yourself by how outgoing and friendly you can actually become.

But with that said - don't put too much pressure on yourself to make friends/find a gf, or else the exact opposite might happen. I honestly believe shyness is a good quality to have ; often shy people are also good listeners, modest, hard-working and cautious. Stop calling yourself "shy" and "socially awkward" like it's a bad thing, and stop bringing yourself down with the "I have no self-confidence" nonsense. The more you say it, the truer it becomes, and it won't do you any good. As mentioned already - try pretending that you have confidence. People will believe you and start treating you like a person who has confidence. And then that will give you some confidence. It's an awesome cycle. How do you fake confidence in the first place? - that's what university is for... it's all a learning experience

Personally, just working hard at school and fulfilling my own goals was what helped me to gain confidence... but you'll find your own thing that makes you happy... I'm not giving legitimate advice here or anything, just speaking as a peer who's been there... but maybe focus on reaching your own personal goals (academic, friendships, social skills) before venturing into the [not totally necessary] dating world... remember, baby steps Keep your chin up and smile.
So basically, I need to be more optimistic about myself... Yeah. I try to. And hey, I am a good listener. But these days, it's hard to find someone worth listening to.
Old 09-15-2010 at 08:04 AM   #114
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I agree. Just listen to the song 2legit2quit a thousand times, and then be like that.

Also, a drink or two helps (not to the point where your head is spinning though).
Right, so I just have to fake everything... And according to her, acting is required for all social situations, which ultimately kinda sounds bad.
Old 09-15-2010 at 09:10 AM   #115
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Right, so I just have to fake everything... And according to her, acting is required for all social situations, which ultimately kinda sounds bad.
I'm really sorry, bt I don't agree that you should fake anything. Be who YOU are, not somebody else. Learn to be confident about yourself, but that might take time. I anything, that confidence should be genuine. Peole can tell if its not. Plus, I'd be totally turned off by a gy who was half-loaded talking to me. Or even by a guy who seemed super confident at first... but then as time went on, I learned what he's really like. But I do agree with Marcie, there is NOTHING WRONG with being shy. Its who you are. No, people aren't going to come to you. But you need to be happy with yourself, whoever that is, before you can really make any lasting, strong friendship OR relationships. If you're going to care for someone else, you have to be able to care for yourself, first.
Old 09-15-2010 at 09:53 AM   #116
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
If you think that social situations don't require acting, confirming, following rules, then you're delusional. It doesn't sound bad, that's how life is.

Show up to a 5 star restaurant in sweat pants and hobo hair and talk about how you just got a blow job in an alley.

You obviously hate yourself, so I'm telling you DON'T BE YOURSELF. Social situations don't require it anyways.

If you're a habitual nose picker in private, are you going to pick your nose constantly in public while trying to meet new people? Probably not.

Old 09-15-2010 at 10:12 AM   #117
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Adel put it this way even if you try act confident and screw up on meeting someone....so what? there are like 30 thousand other ppl left to try talking to and honestly screwing up when you talk to someone is not a big deal it happens to everyone and its good experience you learn from it so just go out and talk to random students (even thou we were taught not to talk to strangers :o) yu'll meet new people definatly and ur confidence will surely increase. hey even thou we acutally havent met i already like you as a friend ^^

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 09-15-2010 at 10:15 AM   #118
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
Adel put it this way even if you try act confident and screw up on meeting someone....so what? there are like 30 thousand other ppl left to try talking to and honestly screwing up when you talk to someone is not a big deal it happens to everyone and its good experience you learn from it so just go out and talk to random students (even thou we were taught not to talk to strangers :o) yu'll meet new people definatly and ur confidence will surely increase. hey even thou we acutally havent met i already like you as a friend ^^

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ely-31366.html

plzread.

xxsumz says thanks to lawleypop for this post.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 09-15-2010 at 10:17 AM   #119
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Lol. I had a feeling this was gonna come.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 09-15-2010 at 10:21 AM   #120
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:

ROFL hahaha im so sorry is that one of yur pet peeves XD?