MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course at Another University Banshee Academics 1 07-10-2010 12:04 PM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM
How is University? adam1993 General Discussion 42 03-11-2009 05:56 PM
Sad Truth About Relationships marauderlove General Discussion 2 03-24-2008 10:51 AM

Relationships in a University

Old 09-08-2010 at 03:45 PM   #16
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
Oh, I see. o-o; Well, I will try to do that, then. It's just that since I am socially awkward, I get really shy and it's often difficult for me to just approach people. D:
i beg to differ
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:49 PM   #17
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
i beg to differ
Well, being shy, it's hard for me to approach people. o-o;
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:50 PM   #18
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Take off your steel toed boots dude!
Ha ha ha ha! Nice one.
Old 09-08-2010 at 03:54 PM   #19
fresh prince

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
dont sprint before you can crawl
lol, deep stuff ^

Yea I guess there are more of us in similar situations. Sometimes it seems like its easier for girls to make friends O.o or thats what it looked like yesterday. Being a guy, I always think its weird talking to new people when I introduce myself. The worst thing I can imagine is introducing myself only for the other person to just ignore it.. D:!
Old 09-08-2010 at 04:02 PM   #20
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh prince View Post
lol, deep stuff ^

Yea I guess there are more of us in similar situations. Sometimes it seems like its easier for girls to make friends O.o or thats what it looked like yesterday. Being a guy, I always think its weird talking to new people when I introduce myself. The worst thing I can imagine is introducing myself only for the other person to just ignore it.. D:!
There are like 20,000 people at Mac, and if its ignored, nothing is lost? It might be kinda awkward to not be heard or look like a dork, but who cares? Life is too short to miss out on opportunities just because you think you'll look silly or whatnot.

Gabriella*, lorend, Richa like this.
Old 09-08-2010 at 04:02 PM   #21
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
lol, deep stuff ^

I noticed something similar.

Girls have it easier making friends. Not being sexist or anything, but that's how it generally is these days. Guys usually have it somewhat harder.
Old 09-08-2010 at 04:12 PM   #22
fresh prince

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
There are like 20,000 people at Mac, and if its ignored, nothing is lost? It might be kinda awkward to not be heard or look like a dork, but who cares? Life is too short to miss out on opportunities just because you think you'll look silly or whatnot.

I know ):
Well we'll just have to see how things work out over the next couple of days as we get settled in?
Old 09-08-2010 at 04:14 PM   #23
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Quote:
I know ):
Well we'll just have to see how things work out over the next couple of days as we get settled in?
Yup. But the most major thing is WHY people want a girlfriend.
Old 09-08-2010 at 05:49 PM   #24
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
Yup. But the most major thing is WHY people want a girlfriend.
my answer to that would be relatively 18A, so ill leave it out.

Best thing to do is in a tutorial or lab or even lecture, ask someone what something says on the overhead, easy and simple, not to mention it opens to door to make a comment about what the prof is saying; its not an ice breaker but it cracks the ice enough to the point of breakage (id draw a pic to represent the state of ice breakage but i really want to go grab a drink for the comedy show so I won't)

Also, join a club, theres postings everywhere, join the gym. In a tutorial, ask someone beside you for help or lend a hand if someone looks like their stuck on something (of course make sure its allowed; not smart to introduce yourself and offer math tips during a math exam).

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

fresh prince, lorend, Maegs like this.
Old 09-08-2010 at 06:25 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It's all about time management. I had boyfriends through most of my undergrad, and I managed fine. You've got to prioritize what the most important things are, and use your free time to your advantage.

As for making friends during WW...I'm going through the same thing right now in grad school. I found making friends at Mac much simpler than I have so far at Carleton. It's about approaching people and breaking the ice. So long as the other person isn't an ass (and I met very few of those at Mac), they should respond to you and the conversation can go from there. As mentioned previously, a lot of your ability to meet people can be facilitated through going to activities where there will be other people: welcome week, general meetings for clubs, intramurals etc.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-08-2010 at 06:49 PM   #26
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I feel like highschools must be telling students that you don't have much spare time in university, because I've seen lots of posts lately asking "Will I have enough time for friends? Will I have any time to have a social life?" etc.

You definately have time for a relationship! I think university is where a lot of life long relationships are built (boyfriend/girlfriend and friends). I don't think you should rush yourself into finding a girlfriend, but don't worry - when that moment comes in university, you'll definately have enough time for it

Crzyrio says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 09-08-2010 at 07:09 PM   #27
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the help.

And yes, high schools are evil - they tell me a lot of BS that actually turned out to be fake. University is not as bad as they said.
Old 09-08-2010 at 07:18 PM   #28
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Social anxiety is not necessarily definitive of you as a person. Let me explain:
You express that you're shy but a part of you evidently has hopes and dreams that you want to pursue - but the anxiety limits that freer part.
Why not define yourself by the dreams instead of the limitations?
You have the capacity to overcome your anxiety and make of your life what you wish.
Social anxiety is also overpowering but not a life sentence - social exposure eases the anxiety with time, just as spending more time looking out of the windows of skyscrapers helps ease the fear of heights.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

0t10, justinsftw, nerual like this.
Old 09-08-2010 at 07:22 PM   #29
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Social anxiety is not necessarily definitive of you as a person. Let me explain:
You express that you're shy but a part of you evidently has hopes and dreams that you want to pursue - but the anxiety limits that freer part.
Why not define yourself by the dreams instead of the limitations?
You have the capacity to overcome your anxiety and make of your life what you wish.
Social anxiety is also overpowering but not a life sentence - social exposure eases the anxiety with time, just as spending more time looking out of the windows of skyscrapers helps ease the fear of heights.
couldn't have said it better myself. Great analogy

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 09-08-2010 at 07:24 PM   #30
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

You're right. Thanks!