MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
teriyaki place at student center mk90 General Discussion 19 10-18-2011 11:44 PM
Rehabilitation center andrewjdg Athletics & Recreation 7 10-21-2010 01:03 PM
Student center power plug? cjdzl Academics 13 10-16-2010 06:45 PM
So SOCS meet at 9:00 am tomorrow in the student center??? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-05-2010 06:26 AM
How to Request a Course Waiver goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-20-2010 09:01 PM

request to fix the lighting in student center

Old 11-29-2011 at 12:55 AM   #1
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

request to fix the lighting in student center
Is there anywhere that I can send a request to fix the lighting in the student center 2nd floor cubicles?
I study in the cubicles quite often especially late night and i always get so frustrated with the lighting Because the half the lights are off and the other half are flashing
and from what I remember from my gr.9 business class this isn't a very ergonomically friendly place for a student to study in lol
i know i might sound selfish or something but i'm dead serious about this
any help?
Old 11-29-2011 at 01:22 AM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
Is there anywhere that I can send a request to fix the lighting in the student center 2nd floor cubicles?
I study in the cubicles quite often especially late night and i always get so frustrated with the lighting Because the half the lights are off and the other half are flashing
and from what I remember from my gr.9 business class this isn't a very ergonomically friendly place for a student to study in lol
i know i might sound selfish or something but i'm dead serious about this
any help?
I've forwarded this post to the MSU President. MSU controls half of MUSC corporation alongside the University and as such we can send out an email/call to MUSC to fix it asap.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

cjdzl, lawleypop, resh.jyoti all say thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 11-29-2011 at 01:24 AM   #3
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 201 Times

Hey I will go to the MUSC manager tomorrow and bring this up, and see when it can be fixed for. Thanks for posting, and Huzaifa for relaying the message!

cjdzl says thanks to MD-L for this post.
Old 11-29-2011 at 08:00 AM   #4
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

The university controls half of MSU or MUSC corp? Will anyone start caring about the 1280 waiters/waitresses designating all of a party's bill as their "tip" and collecting 30 dollar tips personally several times a day?
Old 11-29-2011 at 08:14 AM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleStorm View Post
The university controls half of MSU or MUSC corp? Will anyone start caring about the 1280 waiters/waitresses designating all of a party's bill as their "tip" and collecting 30 dollar tips personally several times a day?
Unless these issues are brought into light like right now, how do you expect people to fix them?
Old 11-29-2011 at 08:57 AM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Could you elabourate? Are you forced to tip?
Old 11-29-2011 at 09:09 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-L View Post
Hey I will go to the MUSC manager tomorrow and bring this up, and see when it can be fixed for. Thanks for posting, and Huzaifa for relaying the message!
Does the msu have any role/influence in lecture hall matters? The motor for the large screen in tshb128 is broken, there are projector issues recurrenty in itb ab102, flickering lights in jhe 376, broken chairs and fold-out desks in tshb128&itbab102, and who knows how many other random issues in classrooms I don't have lectures in.. can't the msu do something to get phys plant or whoever to keep the campus lecture halls in tip-top shape?

icecubz, JonC89 like this.
Old 11-29-2011 at 09:28 AM   #8
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
MUSC is split between MSU and McMaster, but McMaster and the MSU are each wholly separate.
Old 11-29-2011 at 09:56 AM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Could you elabourate? Are you forced to tip?
I think he's saying that, instead of the waitress ringing in the bill, she just pockets the cash.
I could be wrong, but that's what it sounded like.
Old 11-29-2011 at 01:29 PM   #10
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I think he's saying that, instead of the waitress ringing in the bill, she just pockets the cash.
I think what he's trying to say is that when he pays for the food, he isn't given back change or is even offered change back and the waitress just walks away not that she pockets all the money
Old 11-29-2011 at 02:22 PM   #11
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Yup, more or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttk View Post
I think what he's trying to say is that when he pays for the food, he isn't given back change or is even offered change back and the waitress just walks away not that she pockets all the money
No, what I'm saying is on several occasions (I know exactly what they are doing, I've worked in restaurants) I've had waiters ring in our food, get the proper total, and when it comes time to pay they would switch the total over to "tip" and take the entire bill as their tip. They'd give me proper change and charge me the proper amount, I wouldn't get screwed or anything. But they are stealing from MSU, which bothers me. I can tell management or whatever at 1280 is pretty lax so this isn't very hard for them to pull of. However, large amounts are being stolen. Pay attention to your bill next time and you will see its a common occurrence.
Old 11-29-2011 at 02:26 PM   #12
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Generally with university inquiries if you are not sure whom to call... just call extension 24740 and talk to them... they will redirect you to the proper place for this.

Last edited by apples12 : 11-29-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2011 at 08:28 PM   #13
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Last I was in musc the power outlets in like a good portion of the cubicals on the second floor weren't working...and they've been not working since last year. If those haven't been fixed, could they also please be fixed? It's really annoying, especially when the people who do have working outlets are douchbags about sharing

Old 11-29-2011 at 09:15 PM   #14
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 201 Times

Hey thanks for bringing up this issue. If you could actually email me a description of what took place and possibly any proof (ie the bill). Email me at [email protected] r.ca

In regards to the building issues Apples gave some good info and I will also ask about the outlet situation in 2nd floor MUSC.

Honestly the more issues the better, over the summer I mentioned to the MUSC board of management that the gooseneck of the water fountain on the 1st floor was broken and after mentioning it, it was switched over to the new design. So we can get these things fixed, just let me know.

crazyfree says thanks to MD-L for this post.

RyanC likes this.
Old 11-29-2011 at 09:44 PM   #15
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Does the msu have any role/influence in lecture hall matters? The motor for the large screen in tshb128 is broken, there are projector issues recurrenty in itb ab102, flickering lights in jhe 376, broken chairs and fold-out desks in tshb128&itbab102, and who knows how many other random issues in classrooms I don't have lectures in.. can't the msu do something to get phys plant or whoever to keep the campus lecture halls in tip-top shape?
That unfortunately is a bigger issue, The University has the ability to take infrastructure funding transferred to them for other purposes in their budget; a concept known as deferred infrastructure maintenance. At McMaster the estimated backlog is at a few hundred Million Dollars and over a Billion Province Wide. At the MSU we have made it a priority to bring up this backlog issue with our provincial MPP's in every single meeting we've had with them last year. It remains to be seen if there is any movement or appetite from the new "minority" provincial government.

However, I was also planning on doing a petition/awareness campaign with the student body via my committee next term on this issue. Where for example students will submit their horror stories and pictures that we can then forward to the government and McMaster.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

MD-L, resh.jyoti all say thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.