MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what's the difference between cancel courses and drop courses? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-16-2012 10:09 PM
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

Res & courses. Help please

Old 05-23-2013 at 08:52 PM   #1
sbarbs

Liked: 1 Time

Res & courses. Help please
I will be attending Mac for life sci this fall & when I went to the open house it is to my understanding that one does not pick the Rez of their choice rather the room style in which they wish to be in. My question is if anyone has put in a special accommodation for a specific room type and was accommodated to it appropriately? I do have some special reasons as to having a washroom in my room and I'd like to know what would be the possibility, opinion based. Of getting it? Has anyone gotten what they requested in their circumstances?

Also, if its not bother for those who are willing to answer, how did you come about to picking your first year courses???! Wee bit stressed haha
Old 05-23-2013 at 09:56 PM   #2
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

When it comes to first year life sci, there are a lot of courses that you're required to take. That only leaves you with a few spaces for electives. Pick electives based on your own interest, not because someone said it was easy :(.

I'm not sure if you can have a special accommodation for a specific room, like you "need" to have a suite, or a single, or anything like that. The only accommodation I've heard of is a longer bed for tall people.
Old 05-23-2013 at 10:37 PM   #3
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

Hey I know how stressful and scary first year can be but honestly it will all work out for the best! You do choose your room style but it is basically all a lottery system unless your special request is a valid one. I was SO WORRIED about the bathroom situation and I ended up with my last choice...a traditional double in Mckay. But i can honestly say i wouldn't change it if I could!! For Mckay (and alot of the other residences) it isn't a communal bathroom but for every 4 rooms there are two bathrooms. They are cleaned daily and i can guarantee you will NEVER have to wait to use a washroom. They are private, single washrooms.

As for your program, make sure you look into the second year programs and have an idea of what you want to take! Theres so many options anything from BioPsych to BioChem to Neuroscience, Psychology and Behaviour, to just Honours Life Sciences...which is the one im going into. You don't have to choose right away just figure out what courses you have to take to be eligible to enter into that program if you so choose. http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...ife-sciences-1 gives you a general overview of the courses you can take.

Now my personal opinion: I have looked at the tentative Master Schedule for the following year for level 1 Life Sciences (my cousin and friend are both going into it) and I wrote down what semester to take which course in and which prof I would recommend

Chem 1A03: Term 1 GET DR BROCK IF YOU CAN --everyone loves him, great prof, really approachable and helpful
Chem 1AA3: Term 2 I had Dr Lock and she was GREAT but either her or Dr Brock are a good choice!
Bio 1A03 --TAKE TERM 2 with kajiura! I had a split class between her and the other prof, and kajiura was by far better. She is great at explaining things and makes everything crystal clear so there is no room for misinterpretation.
Bio 1M03---TAKE TERM 1... I had Quinn/Evans in second semester and it was honestly such a hard course compared to my friends who took it in the first semester with the other professors. The first midterm over 75% of the class failed...and that wasn't because the material was hard.
Psych 1X03 and 1XX3 you dont have a choice..the only prof is Dr Kim!
Math 1LS3 - get lovric! --or you can take Math 1A03
Physics 1L03 (if you havent taken grade 12 physics) term 2- Nejat is the only option here
but if you have taken high school physics and want to take Physics 1B03 go for Hughes as a prof.
These are most likely your 8 main courses you will take and then you will have the option to take 2 electives!

Hope this helped ease some of your stress! Hopefully you choose Mac next year because it really is an amazing school!

etehranz, rosalia, sbarbs all say thanks to LauraV for this post.
Old 05-23-2013 at 11:47 PM   #4
etehranz

Liked: 0 Times

I am a future student going into life sci first year aswell! This post was a great help
Thanks so much!
I just have one question: Whats the difference between Math 1LS3 and Math 1A03? I took grade 12 calculus already so Do I need to take both? or does it depend on the program i want to specialize in first year
Old 05-23-2013 at 11:50 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

math 1a03 covers new topics most kids havent seen before (integration). math 1ls3 is mostly gr 12 review. you only need to take 1. 1a03 is more beneficial if you take future math/physics courses

sbarbs says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 05-23-2013 at 11:59 PM   #6
LauraV
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 11 Times

Glad to help!!! 1LS3 is the "life science" route and deals with more application based questions of calculus. many people think its "easier". 1A03 deals alot more with concepts and equations and newer material you may not have covered in high school. You can take either one of them it doesnt really matter. One doesnt come before the other you just have the option of taking either.
Old 05-24-2013 at 11:37 AM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

They're usually pretty good with accommodations...I know someone who had stomach issues and was throwing up frequently, and so requested a room with a bathroom so that she would have quick/easy access. I also know someone claustrophobic who requested a room with a high ceiling (eg, Les Prince 1st and 6th floor have higher ceilings than floors 2-5, and other buildings also probably have some rooms with high and low ceilings).
Old 05-24-2013 at 07:00 PM   #8
sbarbs

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraV View Post
Hey I know how stressful and scary first year can be but honestly it will all work out for the best! You do choose your room style but it is basically all a lottery system unless your special request is a valid one. I was SO WORRIED about the bathroom situation and I ended up with my last choice...a traditional double in Mckay. But i can honestly say i wouldn't change it if I could!! For Mckay (and alot of the other residences) it isn't a communal bathroom but for every 4 rooms there are two bathrooms. They are cleaned daily and i can guarantee you will NEVER have to wait to use a washroom. They are private, single washrooms.

As for your program, make sure you look into the second year programs and have an idea of what you want to take! Theres so many options anything from BioPsych to BioChem to Neuroscience, Psychology and Behaviour, to just Honours Life Sciences...which is the one im going into. You don't have to choose right away just figure out what courses you have to take to be eligible to enter into that program if you so choose. http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...ife-sciences-1 gives you a general overview of the courses you can take.

Now my personal opinion: I have looked at the tentative Master Schedule for the following year for level 1 Life Sciences (my cousin and friend are both going into it) and I wrote down what semester to take which course in and which prof I would recommend

Chem 1A03: Term 1 GET DR BROCK IF YOU CAN --everyone loves him, great prof, really approachable and helpful
Chem 1AA3: Term 2 I had Dr Lock and she was GREAT but either her or Dr Brock are a good choice!
Bio 1A03 --TAKE TERM 2 with kajiura! I had a split class between her and the other prof, and kajiura was by far better. She is great at explaining things and makes everything crystal clear so there is no room for misinterpretation.
Bio 1M03---TAKE TERM 1... I had Quinn/Evans in second semester and it was honestly such a hard course compared to my friends who took it in the first semester with the other professors. The first midterm over 75% of the class failed...and that wasn't because the material was hard.
Psych 1X03 and 1XX3 you dont have a choice..the only prof is Dr Kim!
Math 1LS3 - get lovric! --or you can take Math 1A03
Physics 1L03 (if you havent taken grade 12 physics) term 2- Nejat is the only option here
but if you have taken high school physics and want to take Physics 1B03 go for Hughes as a prof.
These are most likely your 8 main courses you will take and then you will have the option to take 2 electives!

Hope this helped ease some of your stress! Hopefully you choose Mac next year because it really is an amazing school!
You're a life saver thank you so much!!!