MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice mfattal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 01-02-2011 05:27 PM
Advice arathbon Academics 16 05-22-2010 04:22 PM
A little Advice Commie8507 General Discussion 2 05-12-2010 08:51 AM
Any Advice? pink_cupcake Academics 8 06-28-2009 10:41 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM

Residence Advice

Old 04-27-2011 at 05:00 PM   #1
kittykath45

Liked: 0 Times

Residence Advice
Heyy! So I have been offered admission to McMaster for Life Sci, I accepted it and now I am filling out my residence preference form. I am very interested in either being in Wallingford or Les Prince. If anyone has any pros/cons (eg.wallingford is boring, les prince is waay too far etc etc) of these rez's that would be great!
thank you!
Old 04-27-2011 at 05:08 PM   #2
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Seems like you know the cons already, anyways I lived in Les Prince and it was a bit of a walk to get to classes yes but I enjoyed the residence notheless. i liked having my own bathroom and my own section of the double room. If you are the type of person that will enjoy staring at your roommates every move then you can move the dividing cupboard (replacing it to its original position before move out of course).
I believe you can get your own washroom in other residences too but its not guaranteed that you will get this.

Wallingford is an all girls residence so you select that option if you just want to live in a residence full of girls rather than a coed residence like les prince. Wally is pretty central you are close to most classes, mymini mac, bistro, go buss terminal etc.
Also you said you are in life sci, your classes will most likely be in bsb, itb, abb, mdcl and wally is close to that, if you lives in les prince then you best be getting up early for those 8:30am classes n booking it to abb or itb

Then again you do not pick the specific res like les prince

Last edited by kimzy : 04-27-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2011 at 05:08 PM   #3
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

i dont think you get to pick which building you're in, mac assigns you a building and it's random
Old 04-27-2011 at 05:47 PM   #4
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamalf View Post
i dont think you get to pick which building you're in, mac assigns you a building and it's random
there are strategies you can use to narrow down where you may be placed. e.g. allergies will put you in an apartment style or something, as well if you would like to be in an all girls its
wally or moulton
Old 04-27-2011 at 06:00 PM   #5
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Wally: pretty, great location, tight-knit little community with lots of nice people. Gorgeous tea-room with an even more gorgeous baby grand piano. A pianist's dream, but not so great if you end up living directly above the tearoom and get bombarded with never-ending renditions of "Too Late to Apologize", "Fur Elise" and "Heart and Soul". The bathrooms are unnaturally cold in the mornings. Quiet building with lots of hard-working girls, definitely not a "party res".

Old 04-27-2011 at 06:19 PM   #6
kittykath45

thank-you for everyones responses so far! wally sounds very cute, i loved the tea room on the tour! I don't mind a quiter/hardworking atmosphere and a nonparty rez but jw are they some parties? like just once in a while?
Old 04-27-2011 at 06:28 PM   #7
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykath45 View Post
thank-you for everyones responses so far! wally sounds very cute, i loved the tea room on the tour! I don't mind a quiter/hardworking atmosphere and a nonparty rez but jw are they some parties? like just once in a while?
If you look hard enough you'll always find people down to party.

Last edited by Eternal Fire : 04-27-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2011 at 06:31 PM   #8
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Isn't there a "double room plus washroom" option? I think I recall choosing that one when I was applying... If so, that would typically put you in Les Prince (depending on your place in the lottery system or if you have free choice). I don't think that option includes residences like Mary Keyes or Bates where residents have a semi-private bathroom, because my friends with free choice who selected "double room plus washroom" were all placed in Les Prince. I'm not sure about "single room plus washroom," because it seems like Keyes and Bates would fit that description... Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

I loved Les Prince. I don't like public bathrooms, so that was the main reason I went for that building. It's pretty far, which can suck on those really cold and windy days, but overall I think it's worth it. The rooms are big, and if you keep the wardrobes in the middle, it's a decent amount of privacy if you don't like being in constant contact with your roommate, or if she sleeps with her eyes open (like mine did) and you don't want her staring at you while you sleep.

If you get a room facing the football field instead of the forest, your room can get really hot (I don't know if they still turn the air conditioning off in September, but they did when I was there), so it's worth bringing a fan. In all honesty, the distance is not a huge deal. It's what, 30-60 seconds further than Hedden? People complain about it, but I'm lazy as hell and I didn't think it was bad whatsoever.

Last edited by alh24 : 04-27-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2011 at 06:32 PM   #9
ashwin319

I agree... you can always find people to party

I don't think Les Prince is ideal as its location isn't all that great
Location-wise I'd say anything but Les Prince
Old 04-27-2011 at 06:42 PM   #10
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykath45 View Post
Well, there are parties in the sense that there were "cookie-baking parties" and "work-out parties" and "let's-work-on-chem-quizzes parties" (a.k.a. CHEM MADNESS! w00t). IRC was actually great for planning excursions like rock-climbing and stuff. But if you wanna get crunk you'll have to go out to Brandon or something. I can count the number of times I've seen drunk people in Wally on one hand.

Old 04-27-2011 at 07:05 PM   #11
kittykath45

awee that sounds cute! i love chem haha and cookies thanks for everyones help
Old 04-27-2011 at 07:09 PM   #12
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

i'd gladly walk a few extra minutes just so i could use my own washroom every morning, and it's not really that far away from everything

alh24 likes this.
Old 04-27-2011 at 08:40 PM   #13
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Just some advice, maybe kind of off topic since it isn't answering your question. Don't have your heart set on just two buildings. You're not guaranteed either one in any way (Even if you have a 95... that guarantees you a single room, not what residence you get, as far as I know). I just don't want you to be disappointed is all. Cause when I found out my res, I was very upset. But I ended up really enjoying it despite the fact.
Old 04-27-2011 at 09:14 PM   #14
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragon View Post
Just some advice, maybe kind of off topic since it isn't answering your question. Don't have your heart set on just two buildings. You're not guaranteed either one in any way (Even if you have a 95... that guarantees you a single room, not what residence you get, as far as I know). I just don't want you to be disappointed is all. Cause when I found out my res, I was very upset. But I ended up really enjoying it despite the fact.
It isn't limited to a single room. You have free choice of whatever type room you want - you just can't specify residence (e.g., you can say "double with washroom" and get Les Prince, but if you say "double" you can be put in any residence). My roommate had a 98% average and was able to pick any room type she wanted.
Old 04-27-2011 at 10:10 PM   #15
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

i;m pretty sure if you say single with washroom you're still gonna get LP ?

alh24 says thanks to TheBrickWall for this post.