MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence Turks First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-30-2011 04:33 PM
Residence Rep loats14 Residence & Housing 6 01-27-2010 04:14 PM
Residence saigalhz General Discussion 13 04-10-2009 09:44 AM
Residence 09/10 FJEAN Residence & Housing 6 01-28-2009 11:46 PM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM

Residence Co-ed

Old 03-10-2012 at 10:55 PM   #1
Unregistered

Residence Co-ed
I know that the many of the on-campus residence are co-ed but can the rooms also be co-ed. Basically both me and my girlfriend of 3 years both accepted into mcmaster and were looking to live either on-campus or off-campus.

But we were wondering if we both pick each other and the same preferences when filling out the application for the residence is it possible to both get the same room, or if we want to get one of the apartment/suite style things would it be possible to get into the same suite.

Thanks for any help
Old 03-10-2012 at 10:56 PM   #2
MasterFett
Account Locked

Liked: 31 Times

I don't think its possible to get the same room. However, I'd check out West Village suites. Seems ideal for your situation.
Old 03-10-2012 at 11:29 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

campus does not allow coed rooms, coed dorms they do
Old 03-10-2012 at 11:43 PM   #4
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

you cannot live co-ed in campus residences. but its easy enough to find a house if you guys want. i currently have a couple living in the master bedroom together at my place and they are pretty chill.

off-campus first year has its pros and cons
- first its cheaper and you wont have to deal with having to buy the full meal plan, but you should still fill it up with some money cus its useful when you dont want to cook
- second its further from classes so you cant really wake up 10min before class and still prep and be on time
- third you wont be able to meet new people all that easily, campus living first year is a great way to meet others in your year and program

- but then again you and your gf do get more freedom off campus, you get used to the lifestyle, quicker, and its a great learning experience
- also if you do decide to live off-campus than start looking now cus all the good places go fast. and you should always clarify with your landlord that its 2 of you living together (either in one room or in 2 separate) as a couple.
Old 03-11-2012 at 10:32 AM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I know that the many of the on-campus residence are co-ed but can the rooms also be co-ed. Basically both me and my girlfriend of 3 years both accepted into mcmaster and were looking to live either on-campus or off-campus.

But we were wondering if we both pick each other and the same preferences when filling out the application for the residence is it possible to both get the same room, or if we want to get one of the apartment/suite style things would it be possible to get into the same suite.

Thanks for any help
No, the rooms and suites/apartments are not co-ed. I'm not sure if they make exceptions (my guess is probably no but I'm really not sure), you should email and ask.
Old 03-11-2012 at 12:42 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

ur gona be off campus most likely year 2 anyways, may as well start now. u should start looking now cause the signing season started january and the nicer ones go first
Old 03-11-2012 at 04:02 PM   #7
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

definitely email the res admissions office, and get your girlfriend to do so too.
Old 03-11-2012 at 09:44 PM   #8
IIkingdrewII

Liked: 3 Times

I was in the same situation and decided to live at the WestVillageSuites, it's a great option if you're both interested in living in a nicer environment than some of the student houses in the area. You'll find pricing to be a little higher than a number of houses in the area but you'll love to atmosphere that's for sure.
Old 03-11-2012 at 10:25 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

You're definitely not allowed to have Co-ed rooms, suites or apartments. But I agree, it doesn't hurt to email and see if an exception can be made. There's a lot of places off-campus if you choose to go that route though!
Old 03-12-2012 at 11:24 AM   #10
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

if you want to stay in rez and be near your girlfriend, choose a similar style housing. most of the single/double/triple buildings are clustered together, while suite and apartment style are close
Old 03-12-2012 at 11:33 AM   #11
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

They made an exception for a colleague of mine, but it was a royal pain for him to push the right buttons to make it happen. He was 35 years old, and got a room together with his wife for all 4 years that he did his undergrad.

I don't suspect they would allow that for someone younger, or short of marriage.
Old 03-12-2012 at 11:34 AM   #12
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

off campus is your only real choice. I only see residence even considering an exception if you were married. As it is they dont want to deal with the clean up if you two broke up mid way through the year.
Old 03-12-2012 at 11:42 AM   #13
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

I'm going to assume that because you both just got accepted that you're doing your undergrad and are likely 18 or 17 years old at this time.

I don't think they'd ever make an exception for someone at your age (if this is the case). It would lead to an influx of first years/upper years attempting to live with their current significant other in residence and I really don't think housing wants to deal with that regardless of how long you've been together. It's well known that many relationships don't last the first year of university or living together generally. That said, housing would not want to hear complaints once/if students broke up and wanted to switch rooms. It's just not feasible.

After all of that said, look off campus. There are definitely land lords that would be open to students sharing a room and you could always look at a one bedroom apartment or live together in West Village Suites.