MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence Move-In Dates Finalized! jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 14 09-04-2010 07:11 PM
Residence move-in Allana:) Residence & Housing 6 08-06-2010 02:25 PM
Residence Move-In Linh Residence & Housing 1 07-18-2010 09:17 PM
Residence Move-In fuzzyskittle Residence & Housing 28 09-01-2009 02:01 PM
residence move in dates joannasmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-14-2009 12:29 PM

Residence/SOCS Move-in Talk

Old 08-23-2009 at 04:25 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Packing and unpacking is more of a pain :(. Moving is actually pretty fun, in a weird way
Moving is not fun... I had to move my family friend out of her apartment because she graduated from Loo (pew pew XD). I had to carry everything down 3 stories: desks, bed frame, air conditioner, tv, etc.. Really the only thing that sucked was the bed frame, it was heavy and awkward. Another thing that sucked was walking up and down those stairs a dozen times...

At least in residence you have elevators (except for Edwards and Wallingford) and you don't have to move in a bed frame or even a bed.
Old 08-23-2009 at 04:27 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Haha , wow it sounds so much worse the way you put it. So true, we don't have to worry about actual furniture. Lucky? XD

Hmm, maybe that's why it sounds do fun
Old 08-23-2009 at 05:50 PM   #18
tiger
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Why are some people moving-in tomorrow?
Old 08-23-2009 at 05:56 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Why are some people moving-in tomorrow?
That was posted yesterday, meaning they moved in today (Sunday). They are CA and have to do orientation before the first years arrive.

tiger says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-23-2009 at 05:58 PM   #20
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
At least in residence you have elevators (except for Edwards and Wallingford)
Actually no elevators in Matthews hall either...
Old 08-23-2009 at 06:14 PM   #21
tortorf

Liked: 1 Time

Oh man im in matthews!! Also can i bring my own chair??(for my desk)
Old 08-23-2009 at 06:17 PM   #22
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortorf View Post
Oh man im in matthews!! Also can i bring my own chair??(for my desk)
Yes you can.
Old 08-23-2009 at 06:23 PM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Not only have I not thought about packing yet, but I don't even know when I'm planning to move in AND I don't even have furniture or cutlery or anything like that.

All I have is a bed.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-23-2009 at 06:25 PM   #24
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Not only have I not thought about packing yet, but I don't even know when I'm planning to move in AND I don't even have furniture or cutlery or anything like that.

All I have is a bed.
Im in the exact same situation minus the bed.
Old 08-23-2009 at 06:29 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

All I have is a bed.
You should ask your relatives or even family friends if they have anything they aren't using, especially if they have kids that just finished university.

I got some plates and utensils from family friends as well as a bed, chair and desk from a family friend that just graduated.
Old 08-23-2009 at 06:33 PM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen View Post
Im in the exact same situation minus the bed.
You don't have a bed at home? That's the one I'm using. No way in hell am I paying for a second bed, lol.

I almost didn't even get to come back to Mac this year b/c 5 days ago my parents were like, "Turns out we don't have any money to help you pay this year."

So I sure as hell can't afford furniture at this point. Honestly though, the prices for furniture are OUTRAGEOUS. All I want is a simple freakin desk that I can put my laptop on and slide my chair over to where I put my textbooks and work. And I can't even find something like that for like, less than 100 bucks. I need to go check out Canadian Tire and Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You should ask your relatives or even family friends if they have anything they aren't using, especially if they have kids that just finished university.

I got some plates and utensils from family friends as well as a bed, chair and desk from a family friend that just graduated.
I'm the only person in my family to ever go to university, and my family lives a minimum of 6 hours away. :(

I dunno, all I really need in terms of cutlery is a pot, fork, spoon, plate/bowl, and a strainer since the only thing I can cook is pasta.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 08-23-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2009 at 06:36 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
You don't have a bed at home? That's the one I'm using. No way in hell am I paying for a second bed, lol.

I almost didn't even get to come back to Mac this year b/c 5 days ago my parents were like, "Turns out we don't have any money to help you pay this year."

So I sure as hell can't afford furniture at this point. Honestly though, the prices for furniture are OUTRAGEOUS. All I want is a simple freakin desk that I can put my laptop on and slide my chair over to where I put my textbooks and work. And I can't even find something like that for like, less than 100 bucks. I need to go check out Canadian Tire and Walmart.

I'm the only person in my family to ever go to university, and my family lives a minimum of 6 hours away. :(

I dunno, all I really need in terms of cutlery is a pot, fork, spoon, plate/bowl, and a strainer since the only thing I can cook is pasta.
Canadian Tire actually has a corner desk for 90$. I saw it in the flyers today. They also have a simpler desk for the same price... You can probably find cheaper ones.

I also remember IKEA had cutlery for pretty cheap... I can't remember the name though or if it's even on sale anymore.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-23-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2009 at 07:03 PM   #28
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:

Go to a second-hand store. I bought two dressers, two night tables, a footboard and headboard as well as two different cans of paint for less than $150. You can check out places like Value Village, Goodwill, or a Community re-use store, which is where I went.

My parents wouldn't buy me anything new because of the cost...basically they said they didn't want to pay for "good" furniture until I'm done school (which actually makes sense).

I wrote an article about it, here. You can also see my rather obnoxious-coloured furniture.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-23-2009 at 07:06 PM   #29
syaseen
Elite Member

Quote:
My bed at home is a queen, to bring it would mean renting a truck. I think my landlord said something about our house being semi-furnished so i think he provides the desk, chair and bed. My lease starts in September so I have to wait a little to find out what i get with the place.
Old 08-23-2009 at 07:11 PM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Go to a second-hand store. I bought two dressers, two night tables, a footboard and headboard as well as two different cans of paint for less than $150. You can check out places like Value Village, Goodwill, or a Community re-use store, which is where I went.

My parents wouldn't buy me anything new because of the cost...basically they said they didn't want to pay for "good" furniture until I'm done school (which actually makes sense).

I wrote an article about it, here. You can also see my rather obnoxious-coloured furniture.
Very true, my parents don't want to buy anything new either. I really don't care as long as it's functional.

P.S. I really like your green drawers, they are pretty cool ^-^