MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence Move-In Dates Finalized! jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 14 09-04-2010 07:11 PM
Residence move-in Allana:) Residence & Housing 6 08-06-2010 02:25 PM
Residence Move-In Linh Residence & Housing 1 07-18-2010 09:17 PM
Residence Move-In fuzzyskittle Residence & Housing 28 09-01-2009 02:01 PM
residence move in dates joannasmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-14-2009 12:29 PM

Residence/SOCS Move-in Talk

Old 08-24-2009 at 12:13 PM   #61
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

I've been away from home for an extended period of time before. Adjusting is not really an issue at first. Most people don't really realize their parents are out of their lives until weeks and weeks after they've been dropped off. At least, in my experience, that's how it worked.

There will be too many new things to 'adjust' to, that the adjusting is kind of forced. It won't seem like a big deal until you actually run out of things that are new.
Old 08-24-2009 at 07:46 PM   #62
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Hi, so I have a question about move in day that seems a little silly to me. So after we unpack everything up in the rooms..there's going to be a lot of extra cardboard and plastic boxes and whatnot. How would I get everything back to my parent's car if they've parked across campus..
Old 08-24-2009 at 07:50 PM   #63
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
Hi, so I have a question about move in day that seems a little silly to me. So after we unpack everything up in the rooms..there's going to be a lot of extra cardboard and plastic boxes and whatnot. How would I get everything back to my parent's car if they've parked across campus..
I recycled cardboard boxes (although I only brought like 1-2) and I stored my plastic box (I only had 1) in my closet as well as my suitcase (I only had 1).

Even if I didn't, there would have been no problem bringing back 1 plastic bin to the car. Plus it allowed me to pack early instead of waiting for my parents to come and then pack at the end of the year.

If you are bringing like 4 suitcases and 2 plastic bins then you are definitively over packing.
Old 08-24-2009 at 07:54 PM   #64
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I recycled cardboard boxes (although I only brought like 1-2) and I stored my plastic box (I only had 1) in my closet as well as my suitcase (I only had 1).

Even if I didn't, there would have been no problem bringing back 1 plastic bin to the car. Plus it allowed me to pack early instead of waiting for my parents to come and then pack at the end of the year.

If you are bringing like 4 suitcases and 2 plastic bins then you are definitively over packing.
ah, thanks! yeah I only have like three or four really reusable bins/ luggage. but I was wondering bout the boxes from my fridge, printer, fan etc. ah packing makes it so much more real =)
Old 08-24-2009 at 07:56 PM   #65
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

There are dumpsters outside the rez building for recycling and garbage where you can get rid of all that.

etoilex3 says thanks to syaseen for this post.
Old 08-24-2009 at 08:32 PM   #66
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
ah, thanks! yeah I only have like three or four really reusable bins/ luggage. but I was wondering bout the boxes from my fridge, printer, fan etc. ah packing makes it so much more real =)
I was able to put my suitcase in my plastic bin.

You might want to keep your fridge box if it has handles. It makes transportation a lot easier. But you don't need a box for the other things. For the printer you just have to load it at the top when you leave residence.

etoilex3 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:37 PM   #67
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Where would you keep the plastic bins in residence though =/ Is there enough space for it?
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:01 PM   #68
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Where would you keep the plastic bins in residence though =/ Is there enough space for it?
I kept my 1 plastic bin in my closet. There was enough space at the bottom of my closet, meaning I also had shirts hanging.

Plus, I'm pretty sure you can put one plastic bin in another so in the end it would be like having one plastic bin
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:30 PM   #69
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Ooh awesome, I might even use them for storage or clothes or something XD. Oh! And there's also these plastic set of drawers I saw at Wal-mart today, would those fit anywhere, something like this, but a bit smaller: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...t_id =8282897
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:37 PM   #70
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Ooh awesome, I might even use them for storage or clothes or something XD. Oh! And there's also these plastic set of drawers I saw at Wal-mart today, would those fit anywhere, something like this, but a bit smaller: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...t_id =8282897
Not sure about those ones, they might fit under the desks (depending on which residence you are living in).

They are a hell of a lot cheaper than the ones I got last year: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows... B5-drawer.jsp

Well, it's not the exact one I got last year but it's pretty close. I think I paid somewhere in the 20s for it.

Didn't you go on Welcome Day to see your residence?
Old 08-24-2009 at 11:50 PM   #71
crucif3x

Liked: 21 Times

Well at least for the Bunk & Loft rooms in Moulton, the closets are huge. I'm sure you could fit an average sized plastic box in it no problem Both me and my mom could walk into one during Welcome Day.
- Moulton Hall
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:09 AM   #72
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I know! The closets were huge, but I didn't look at which closets belong to whom, A,B and C. So I'll be pretty screwed if I get one of those plastic storage things, and I don't get one of the huge closets :S
Old 08-25-2009 at 08:16 AM   #73
person33

Liked: 53 Times

I was in a Moulton bunk and loft last year so i can answer that... A and B both get one of the large closets. i had the exact same plastic drawers that you are thinking of getting and that fit perfectly in my closet in Moulton

bunk c (which is the loft) has all of its storage within the confines of the loft

hope this helps

~*Sara*~ says thanks to person33 for this post.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 08-25-2009 at 10:19 AM   #74
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Luu_ View Post
Lucky you people have parents to help you out. I'm doing this all myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskie View Post
:( Why?
My parents think I'm mature enough to do it myself.

Although I could use some help, but they couldn't free up a few days off from work.
Old 08-25-2009 at 10:26 AM   #75
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
You don't have a bed at home? That's the one I'm using. No way in hell am I paying for a second bed, lol.

I almost didn't even get to come back to Mac this year b/c 5 days ago my parents were like, "Turns out we don't have any money to help you pay this year."

So I sure as hell can't afford furniture at this point. Honestly though, the prices for furniture are OUTRAGEOUS. All I want is a simple freakin desk that I can put my laptop on and slide my chair over to where I put my textbooks and work. And I can't even find something like that for like, less than 100 bucks. I need to go check out Canadian Tire and Walmart.

I'm the only person in my family to ever go to university, and my family lives a minimum of 6 hours away. :(

I dunno, all I really need in terms of cutlery is a pot, fork, spoon, plate/bowl, and a strainer since the only thing I can cook is pasta.

Go to Value Village and look for deals on second hand items. If you're lucky, you can find new things for insanely cheap prices. You may even find a nice drafting desk for $20 (some fold up and are easy to transport). Winners isn't too bad either if you don't want used things. Lorend's article discusses some good ways to save money.

Marketplaces are great, especially when recent graduates need to unload their unwanted school supplies and want to make quick money before they move back home. My previous school's student government had a goldmine website that served this purpose. Unfortunately, I don't know of any similar websites that cater to students in Hamilton.

You shouldn't have too much difficulty finding deals as long as you're patient and not overly picky (i.e. everything must match).