MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Currently at 165 on the wait list Psyclone Residence & Housing 4 07-20-2013 03:24 PM
Residence Wait List GregKendall91 Residence & Housing 1 07-03-2013 09:33 PM
Residence Wait List jessicalynn Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 17 06-28-2011 04:54 PM
TA Wait List Smithd37 Academics 3 05-18-2011 05:49 PM
Wait list! surena Residence & Housing 12 05-05-2009 06:02 PM

Residence wait list

Old 05-20-2014 at 03:08 PM   #1
LCampbell

Liked: 0 Times

Residence wait list
hey i'll be attending next year in the social science program i was excited that i got into MAC it was one of my top choices, however i look passed the fact i wasn't guaranteed a stop on res i was curious if anyone in older years was in the same position as me and could tell me if they ended up getting into res or if i should start off campus house hunting?
Old 05-20-2014 at 05:46 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Start off campus hunting. You may or may not make the cut for residence, it's better not to take the gamble. I lived off campus in Hamilton first year with a high school friend of mine, and it was an enjoyable time. At the time, we both weren't as outgoing as we are now, but there were still plenty of opportunities for us to take advantage of. We were in the know regardless though, as word does travel.
Old 05-21-2014 at 08:14 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Hey Olivia! Congrats on choosing McMaster, and welcome to the MacInsiders community

Those accepted to McMaster who meet the Residence Admissions cut-off average (82%* for the 2014-2015 Academic Year) are guaranteed a residence space provided they meet the application and deposit deadlines.

If you're below that threshold and aren't guaranteed a spot in residence, then it all comes down to what your average is. If you have a higher average, you get a higher spot on the waiting list. It'll become more clear once people start to see their positions on the list and start posting them on MacInsiders you'll get an idea where you stand and get a better idea of how many people are on the list ahead of you. If you're really low on the waiting list then you should start looking at off-campus housing options then.

But right now it's pretty early to tell.
Old 05-21-2014 at 08:27 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I've posted more info for you here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...5#p ost401795

LaurelK says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 05-22-2014 at 06:17 PM   #5
LaurelK

I posted my picks in the residence picks 2014 post. what are my chances getting in?
Old 05-22-2014 at 06:18 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

See here

Quote:
What to do if you're NOT guaranteed:

First year students who do not receive a guarantee are welcome to apply to the waiting list, and are not required to make a deposit until contacted and instructed to do so.

Non-guaranteed students applying to residence before the application deadline will be placed on the waiting list in descending order based on admission average. Applications received after the deadline (June 2) will be ordered on the waiting list according to date and time the application is received. Students who have met the application deadline will be notified of their waiting list position one week after the residence application deadline.

For all students applying after the deadline, waiting list positions will be posted within 5 business days.

Students can view their waiting list positions on the online Residence Portal (they will be posted later in the summer).

What are the chances of getting an offer for residence? This is difficult to predict as an offer can only be made when spaces becomes available. There is no way to determine the timing of cancellations/withdrawals.
Old 10-12-2014 at 05:28 PM   #7
arshiachima

i hope you got rez! i am in the same situation