MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
residence GraceChoi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-21-2010 12:27 PM
RESIDENCE waitlist EMERGENCY candacee Residence & Housing 11 06-19-2010 08:14 PM
any upper years on the waitlist for res this year? macbaby07 Residence & Housing 0 04-29-2010 04:54 PM
Residence Rep loats14 Residence & Housing 6 01-27-2010 04:14 PM
Residence 09/10 FJEAN Residence & Housing 6 01-28-2009 11:46 PM

Residence Waitlist

Old 05-07-2011 at 02:34 PM   #1
davied

Liked: 1 Time

Residence Waitlist
So I just got accepted to Mac and i haven't received my package in the mail, but I was wondering if I didn't have a 79 average does that definitely mean that I'm not guaranteed a spot in residence? Also how does the resident wait list work? First come first serve?
Old 05-07-2011 at 02:47 PM   #2
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I don't believe you're guaranteed a spot on rez with that average. About that waiting list, though - I'm not sure on what basis it's sorted, but if you don't get a spot on rez this term, there is still a chance to in the next.
Old 05-07-2011 at 04:30 PM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davied View Post
So I just got accepted to Mac and i haven't received my package in the mail, but I was wondering if I didn't have a 79 average does that definitely mean that I'm not guaranteed a spot in residence? Also how does the resident wait list work? First come first serve?
i THINK that was the average required to be GUARANTEED a spot... and something like a 95 to be guaranteed a single room if u choose to .. i believe lower than that and its a lottery until all spots are filled.. then i think waiting list on a first come first serve depending on when you pay a deposit

so.. pretty much you can still get a spot with a lower than the guaranteed average.. just pay the deposit before the deadline and hope u get picked high in the lottery
Old 05-07-2011 at 06:15 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

i believe a 90+ or 95+ is guaranteed single room. 79+ is a guaranteed spot in residence. if u got stuck on the waiting list, chances are u will get a spot. It's just that you get whatever they give u (maybe a bunk bed room or something)
Old 05-07-2011 at 10:48 PM   #5
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

it what leeko said. if you get on the wait list dont worry. I know alot of people that were on the wait list got offered a spot ( but my fellow SOCS ppl turned it down)
Old 05-11-2011 at 04:05 PM   #6
Jesssy

Liked: 0 Times

Just a question in regards to residence at Mac - I got guaranteed residence for having an above 80% average, as opposed to being wait listed. They require you to make a deposit and all that for your room, but here's my question. If my marks fall and my average goes below 80% will they revoke my guaranteed residence? I know they can take back a program offer if you don't maintain a certain average, but does the same apply for the guaranteed residence system?
Old 05-12-2011 at 04:20 PM   #7
kimaa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davied View Post
So I just recently became a tour guide for Mac and we received some training regarding residence. From what I gathered, there's definitely still an opportunity for you to get into rez! Just make sure to submit an application by June 2 before 4 pm and you'll be placed on a waiting list based upon your average. Once people start declining their offers into residence, spots will begin to open up and those who are highest on the waiting list will get spots first. Once you apply AFTER the June 2nd cut off (after 4 pm), you are then placed automatically at the bottom of the waiting list which is probably what you want to avoid! Even if you happen to have a 78% average and would then normally be placed near the top if you had filled out an app, you would go straight to the bottom where those with lower averages are placed (and who did fill out an app).

Hope that helps!
Old 05-12-2011 at 04:23 PM   #8
kimaa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesssy View Post
Just a question in regards to residence at Mac - I got guaranteed residence for having an above 80% average, as opposed to being wait listed. They require you to make a deposit and all that for your room, but here's my question. If my marks fall and my average goes below 80% will they revoke my guaranteed residence? I know they can take back a program offer if you don't maintain a certain average, but does the same apply for the guaranteed residence system?
Hmm not sure - I would call and ask staff at McMaster. I'm sure they'd give you a much better idea about that one! I know Liaison officers in the student recruitment office would be able to help answer your question.
Old 05-12-2011 at 09:40 PM   #9
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimaa2 View Post
So I just recently became a tour guide for Mac and we received some training regarding residence. From what I gathered, there's definitely still an opportunity for you to get into rez! Just make sure to submit an application by June 2 before 4 pm and you'll be placed on a waiting list based upon your average. Once people start declining their offers into residence, spots will begin to open up and those who are highest on the waiting list will get spots first. Once you apply AFTER the June 2nd cut off (after 4 pm), you are then placed automatically at the bottom of the waiting list which is probably what you want to avoid! Even if you happen to have a 78% average and would then normally be placed near the top if you had filled out an app, you would go straight to the bottom where those with lower averages are placed (and who did fill out an app).

Hope that helps!
Sorry for being a bit (or entirely) off topic, but how do you get that job? It sounds so awesome, and every time I see tours being given it looks like it'd be a fun job. Do you need to be involved in a lot of things?