MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Courses Karlee H. Academics 2 05-31-2010 06:07 PM
Spring/summer Courses nick Academics 5 05-10-2010 01:07 AM
anyone know when elm will be up for summer courses? sinthusized Academics 3 05-04-2010 10:37 PM
Summer Courses hishkabab Academics 7 01-11-2009 09:11 PM
Summer Courses neb21 Academics 2 12-20-2007 11:42 PM

Results of summer courses

Old 06-25-2009 at 10:40 AM   #1
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

Results of summer courses
Hi,
I wanted to know how it would work out if you take a course in the summer, which is a pre-requisite for a second year course. More specifically, if we take Chem 1AA3 in the summer, can we still take the orgo courses in our second year? Would we simply wait until we're done the summer course or should we talk to an academic councellor?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2009 at 10:50 AM   #2
MelissaL

Liked: 1 Time

I would suggest going to the chemistry office in ABB. They can give you permission to take orgo on SOLAR
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:00 AM   #3
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

what the hell is Kira asking?
Just register for the course.
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:04 AM   #4
MelissaL

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
what the hell is Kira asking?
Just register for the course.
I think Kira was saying that if you took Chem 1AA3 in summer school (second term), would you have to wait until you pass it to register for Orgo - in which Chem 1AA3 is a prerequiste, or if you could speed up the process by talking to an advisor
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:07 AM   #5
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Yeah, speaking to your advisor would definitely speed things up.
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:20 AM   #6
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaL View Post
I think Kira was saying that if you took Chem 1AA3 in summer school (second term), would you have to wait until you pass it to register for Orgo - in which Chem 1AA3 is a prerequiste, or if you could speed up the process by talking to an advisor
you just register for it on SOLAR.
That's like asking if you take Math 1A03 in first term, do you have to pass it before registering for Math 1AA3 in second term.
Use your brain Kira.
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:34 AM   #7
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

FireDragoonX, i think the sarcasm is a little uncalled for, some people are not as familliar with SOLAR as others.
Kira, I understand what you are saying- I am taking a summer course that is a prerequisite for a third year course in September. Because i hadn't completed it before registration on SOLAR, you technically can't 'add' it because you don't have the permissions to do so. But as someone mentioned above, if you contact the associate dean or chemistry department, they might be able to waive the prereq so that you can obtain a spot in the class, of course it is conditional upon your completion of chem 1AA3. Hope that helps
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:40 AM   #8
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

I am taking a summer course which is a prereq for courses in the fall/winter school year and I registered for them fine.

Obviously if it doesn't let you register you should contact an academic advisor.

It's not an issue with familiarity with SOLAR. Has Kira tried registering or did he/she want to ask some random people on the internet first?
If it didn't let him register did he try contacting someone who works for Mac, or did he/she want to ask some random people on the internet first?
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:40 AM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
That's like asking if you take Math 1A03 in first term, do you have to pass it before registering for Math 1AA3 in second term.

Use your brain Kira.
Actually...it's not like asking that at all. You're operating under the assumption that the summer interim grades work in the same manner as the fall semester...this certainly is not a trivial assumption.

But if that is indeed what his question is (namely, do summer grades work the same as fall semester grades?), then it's certainly a valid one...nothing wrong with him asking for someone, who has been in a similar situation, to verify that he can indeed register.

So I believe it's infact the opposite...It's not a matter of him 'not using his brain,' and instead I'm sure Kira has done too much thinking...and has subsequently begun to worry about it.

--------------------------

To Kira: I'm almost certain that you will still be able to register, as soon as the option to do so becomes available. I know of some people who changed programs (entering their 2nd year) and did not have all of the pre-requisite courses. So their entry into the program was conditional, upon completion of whatever course in the summer term.

And so based on what I've heard from said people, if I recall correctly, MUGSI 'assumes' that you will successfully complete the course during the summer term, and it allows you to register for the 2nd year courses which have it as a pre-requisite.

--------------------------

And in regards to your later post

Quote:
Obviously if it doesn't let you register you should contact an academic advisor.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...Mathematician s joke that "Everything is impossible...and then you learn it, and it's trivial." What seems obvious to you need not be obvious to everyone.

If everything is obvious to everyone, why have a Macinsiders at all?

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-25-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2009 at 11:56 AM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
If everything is obvious to everyone, why have a Macinsiders at all?
So we can complain about SOLAR.
Old 06-25-2009 at 12:42 PM   #11
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

Hi,
Sorry if I wasn't completely clear.
SOLAR did not allow the registration for orgo. So it might just be an error. I'll go talk to an advisor. Thanks for your help everyone
Old 06-25-2009 at 01:18 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
So we can complain about SOLAR.
Very good rebuttal.