MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to include in a resume gallagherorla First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 03-13-2014 11:44 PM
Resume Help stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 12-23-2012 10:42 PM
The picket lines resume Kathy2 General Discussion 109 11-05-2009 10:12 PM
Resume Question hamnahx02 General Discussion 7 08-23-2009 03:05 PM
Resume Padding temara.brown General Discussion 9 08-02-2009 01:03 PM

Resume needed help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old 04-14-2014 at 05:13 PM   #16
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1025 View Post
That is true. This is the reason why I need a job which I talk to my co-workers to improve my English.
This isn't the only way to improve your English - and it definitely shouldn't be the primary way in which you go about improving.

Join clubs and talk to people. Talk to your classmates. Talk to your friends in English even if they speak your mother tongue. Read English books other than textbooks. Watch TV in English without subtitles in another language. If you're watching TV in another language, try putting on English subtitles. Make an effort to think in English rather than your mother tongue. Hire an ESL teacher to help you if you're really struggling.

Maybe you've already tried some/all of these, but if not, give them a shot. Employers want to see that you can communicate in English before hiring you. Based on how you're writing on here, your English seems good enough that it shouldn't hinder job opportunities, so maybe it's not really your biggest issue/concern right now, but it also really depends on how you communicate verbally - can you understand what people are saying when they talk quickly to you, can you make yourself understood with minimal fuss, that sort of thing.

Also, I agree about tailoring your resume to the job you're applying for, and you really should try to dress up the job descriptions - include solid accomplishments, if possible.

matt1025 says thanks to starfish for this post.

Entropy likes this.
Old 04-14-2014 at 05:53 PM   #17
matt1025

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
This isn't the only way to improve your English - and it definitely shouldn't be the primary way in which you go about improving.

Join clubs and talk to people. Talk to your classmates. Talk to your friends in English even if they speak your mother tongue. Read English books other than textbooks. Watch TV in English without subtitles in another language. If you're watching TV in another language, try putting on English subtitles. Make an effort to think in English rather than your mother tongue. Hire an ESL teacher to help you if you're really struggling.

Maybe you've already tried some/all of these, but if not, give them a shot. Employers want to see that you can communicate in English before hiring you. Based on how you're writing on here, your English seems good enough that it shouldn't hinder job opportunities, so maybe it's not really your biggest issue/concern right now, but it also really depends on how you communicate verbally - can you understand what people are saying when they talk quickly to you, can you make yourself understood with minimal fuss, that sort of thing.

Also, I agree about tailoring your resume to the job you're applying for, and you really should try to dress up the job descriptions - include solid accomplishments, if possible.
Appreciated for all of you guys from the bottom of my heart although I feel like a shit after reading all the comments.
Old 04-15-2014 at 03:13 AM   #18
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1025 View Post
Appreciated for all of you guys from the bottom of my heart although I feel like a shit after reading all the comments.
Your english is fine, even if there's awkward phrasing once in a while, we can all still understand you, it takes time to perfect a language, don't be so hard on yourself, you're doing great! I'm sure you've come a long way from when you first learned English, trust me, it will come with time, and I'm not even fluent in my native tongue, so don't feel bad.

PS: I highly recommend the Coop office, they can help you out a lot, even just changing accomplishment statements on your resume.

starfish likes this.
Old 04-15-2014 at 09:57 PM   #19
aurocks14

Liked: 7 Times

Get to CBCD in the School of Business ASAP and book a one on one session.