MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-23-2009 at 11:49 PM   #661
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I was just about to say "Use an airplane"...

Edit: Was it a swimming contest?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-23-2009 at 11:59 PM   #662
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I was just about to say "Use an airplane"...

Edit: Was it a swimming contest?
Not quite, but you're on the right track.

Old 07-24-2009 at 12:03 AM   #663
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Not quite, but you're on the right track.

Hmm. I've never swum in my entire life or been in water outdoors...I'm going to assume that because wind and water interact, the surface is more turbulent than the lower parts.

Was it a contest to see who could hold their breath under water the longest to swim across and carry the cables at the same time...?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-24-2009 at 12:07 AM   #664
Joseph

Quote:
Hmm. I've never swum in my entire life or been in water outdoors...I'm going to assume that because wind and water interact, the surface is more turbulent than the lower parts.

Was it a contest to see who could hold their breath under water the longest to swim across and carry the cables at the same time...?
lol good try, but the answer has nothing to do with water. They wouldn't survive if they had to swim across Niagra Falls.

Old 07-24-2009 at 12:10 AM   #665
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Okay so it has to do with swimming but not water...
Maybe...it was...a contest to see who was the lightest person that they could throw across?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-24-2009 at 02:45 AM   #666
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Hahaha...throwing a little boy across Niagara Falls. (:

Keeping in tune with Bushra's thought about the airplane...why not use hang-gliders? Or better yet kites...I bet it's kites, since a young boy wouldn't be hang-gliding (which is unfortunate, because it'd be amusing xD).

You could attach the cables to the kite and fly them across.

EDIT: I see...the cords are heavy. So why not do a 'tug-of-war' with the cables? Attach a normal kite line to the kite, fly it across, and now you have a 'thin' wire which crosses the falls...so tie the cables to the wire, and pull them across from the other side. (:

Not sure what you mean by countries...Canada and US? Sweden? Mexico? Haha. (Maybe if I name a bunch of countries, I'll get it right)

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-24-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2009 at 11:40 AM   #667
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Hahaha...throwing a little boy across Niagara Falls. (:

Keeping in tune with Bushra's thought about the airplane...why not use hang-gliders? Or better yet kites...I bet it's kites, since a young boy wouldn't be hang-gliding (which is unfortunate, because it'd be amusing xD).

EDIT: I see...the cords are heavy. So why not do a 'tug-of-war' with the cables? Attach a normal kite line to the kite, fly it across, and now you have a 'thin' wire which crosses the falls...so tie the cables to the wire, and pull them across from the other side. (:

Not sure what you mean by countries...Canada and US? Sweden? Mexico? Haha. (Maybe if I name a bunch of countries, I'll get it right)
Wow... that is an awesome answer! I would never have thought of that in a million years! If that's not the real answer I don't know what is...
Old 07-24-2009 at 12:53 PM   #668
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Oooh
Does The Water Ever Freeze?
If So It Would Be An Ice Skating Contest

That was formerly all in capitals...it just got edited that way but I hope we can all still sense the enthusiasm

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-24-2009 at 02:48 PM   #669
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Oooh
Does The Water Ever Freeze?
If So It Would Be An Ice Skating Contest

That was formerly all in capitals...it just got edited that way but I hope we can all still sense the enthusiasm
Oh wow, you guys are really creative! I'm so unimaginative XD

Edit: Oh, Harpooning contest? I'm positive they had harpoons back in the day. Whale hunting was crazy in the past!
Old 07-24-2009 at 02:54 PM   #670
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Catapult!

Edit:

Tie the cable to a rock, fling the rock over the other side
Old 07-24-2009 at 03:21 PM   #671
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

But why would a little boy win a catapulting contest?
Old 07-24-2009 at 04:00 PM   #672
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

He practiced with slingshots

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-24-2009 at 04:01 PM   #673
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I'm getting very anxious for Joseph to respond. I don't want to take the GO to Brampton and start knocking at houses to hear if we're on the right track

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-24-2009 at 10:15 PM   #674
Joseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
it's kites, since a young boy wouldn't be hang-gliding (which is unfortunate, because it'd be amusing xD).

Mike's correct! Nice job!

The builders of the bridge offer a prize to the first person to fly a kite from the American side to the Canadian side. Once the kite string made the crossing, a heavier cord was tied to this string and it was pulled across. This process continued in succession using heavier cords and ropes until the first cable spanned the river.

Old 07-24-2009 at 10:16 PM   #675
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Another please

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences