MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
single room - lonely? nick Residence & Housing 20 05-23-2010 10:11 PM
Catching The Lonely Bug feonateresa Getting Involved 4 09-19-2009 11:00 PM
Lonely niteskie General Discussion 25 09-09-2009 03:27 PM
The "I'm Lonely" Thread. wintermelon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 09-16-2008 11:50 AM

Sad and Lonely

Old 11-26-2009 at 11:25 PM   #31
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Yeah, I would agree with Katia here..
"affected with, characterized by, or causing a depressing feeling of being alone; lonesome."

I think lonely is meant to have a negative connotation. But now I'm just arguing semantics.

taylojl likes this.
Old 11-26-2009 at 11:26 PM   #32
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
you may like being alone, if you like being lonely thats weird
That's a very rude thing to say, I think...
everyone is different; some people are introverts, some extraverts,
some are shy, some outgoing.

I don't think it's right to say someone's "weird" because they want some alone time, here and there. I, personally, like to be alone, sometimes, as well.
Have some "me" time.

but then again, that's just "WEIRD" little me.
Old 11-26-2009 at 11:29 PM   #33
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Yeah, I would agree with Katia here..
"affected with, characterized by, or causing a depressing feeling of being alone; lonesome."

I think lonely is meant to have a negative connotation. But now I'm just arguing semantics.
Yes, the term lonely is definitely given a negative connotation, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a BAD thing, ALL the time.

Would anyone argue that some alone "me" time is a bad thing?
I doubt it. =/

I personally love my alone "me" time. gives you time to think, reflect, etc.
Old 11-26-2009 at 11:34 PM   #34
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

To clarify;

Katia says wanting to be alone = fine

Wanting to be lonely though is a sign of depression.

Everyone wants some alone time every now and then, but to want to be lonely is analogous to saying you want to be depressed.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 11-26-2009 at 11:38 PM   #35
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

yea ever since i started watching house being an introvert has never looked more appealing, ive started giving people mean looks for no reason while im walking home

huzaifa47 says thanks to ShouldBeStudying for this post.

Duarch, huzaifa47, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 11-26-2009 at 11:40 PM   #36
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

Okay, I wrote an essay for english about this thats why I mentioned it.. I really don't care what you do in your alone time, you can cut your wrists all you want.

I'm shy too and like to be by myself sometimes which is what ALONE is. Sometimes I feel alone, which is when I'm too busy with stuff or haven't seen any friends in a long time, which is also fine.
Lonely is not the same meaning as being alone or feeling alone.
thats all

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 11-27-2009 at 12:08 AM   #37
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastHorizon View Post
Being single is awesome. I get to spend all my money on things I enjoy.
Am I the only one happily involved with someone for many years ):?

I've gotten to the point where I gain far more enjoyment from spending money on my girl than I do on myself...so technically, I too get to spend all my money on things I enjoy.

Old 11-27-2009 at 12:15 AM   #38
frozenjuice

Liked: 6 Times

Just came across this thread and surprised no one had suggested the obvious.

Everyone who feels alone and looking for someone to talk to, why don't you all just set up a time and grab a coffee together or something?

Problem solved

adrian, Mowicz, xo.monica like this.
Old 11-27-2009 at 12:51 AM   #39
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Sad Lonely people on the internet meeting up in real life? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA omg is this your first time using a computer? did you just learn about the internet? I dont mean to be rude... but your suggestion was just so precious. hahahahahaha that comment should go in the "Things that make me smile" thread. Best ... post ... ever.

I know, personally, that it is my high standards that hold me back. Not the usual "physical measurement" oriented standards either, if I had those "high standards" I would have found someone by now. The list is more like: Smart, interesting, not a sheep, outside of the box, passionate yet reserved, friendly, has rejected society without being jaded by society, independent, healthy and fit but has an inner fatty who loves having me cook for her, not messed up or crazy, someone who doesnt try to be the eternal victim, not brainwashed by society, adventurous, patient enough to put up with me, clever enough to call me on my bullshit. A good smile is important too, it should be nice enough to make me want to do stuff to see it all the time. My imaginary perfect mate only exists in my head, so unless I go crazy or all "vanilla sky", then I am out of luck.
Old 11-27-2009 at 01:16 AM   #40
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
Sad Lonely people on the internet meeting up in real life? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA omg is this your first time using a computer? did you just learn about the internet?
Unless you're some type of internet lurker, I'm guessing you go to say, McMaster University? What a coincidence, so does everyone else.

This isn't some usual 'sketchy' get-together organized by 1337-speakers...it'd be a couple of university students who have likely already seen each other at some point or another on campus, sitting down and having a chat. If that's sad, then any club meeting is sad...

They used to do that kind of thing before computers took over.
Old 11-27-2009 at 05:58 AM   #41
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Am I the only one happily involved with someone for many years ):?

I've gotten to the point where I gain far more enjoyment from spending money on my girl than I do on myself...so technically, I too get to spend all my money on things I enjoy.
I'm in the same boat, 'cept I haven't been involved for many years... just over 1.5

I feel the same way as you.
Old 11-27-2009 at 09:52 AM   #42
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. I much prefer being in a serious relationship over being single. I enjoy being in a relationship sooo much more.

I don't understand how it "creates the worst goals". That doesn't make any sense at all.

And no, it doesn't distract me from school... because I can manage my time (wow!).
the problem when being in a relationship is you have 2 branches of problems...yours and theirs
which creates added stress

but you are right in saying that a serious relationship is better than being single...it's all about compatibility.

what I meant by saying "creates the worst goals" is that you start thinking about life with that person and forgo a lot of things that might have been way more beneficial for you (like choosing a worse university just because that person is going there)...now don't argue about why I said "creates the worst goals", i worded it wrongly
Also, I have noticed that being in a relationship in your late teens distances you from your parents (most of the time), which is bad, especially if you have the kinda parents I have
Old 11-27-2009 at 10:24 AM   #43
gmon

Liked: 0 Times

Loneliness is alright, if you never got lonely you'd never seek human interaction, you'd have no friends, and then you'd be truly alone.
Old 11-27-2009 at 10:36 AM   #44
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
you may like being alone, if you like being lonely thats weird
Okay then.
I find it weird that you enjoy wearing fur (or any of your other ludicrous statements). Take your judgements and shove them where the sun don't shine.

lone⋅ly

–adjective, -li⋅er, -li⋅est.
1. affected with, characterized by, or causing a depressing feeling of being alone; lonesome.
2. destitute of sympathetic or friendly companionship, intercourse, support, etc.: a lonely exile.
3. lone; solitary; without company; companionless.
4. remote from places of human habitation; desolate; unfrequented; bleak: a lonely road.
5. standing apart; isolated: a lonely tower.

Oh, look at that. Only ONE of the definitions mention any thing about depression.

-rolls eyes-

ffs.

Quote:
but you are right in saying that a serious relationship is better than being single.

Speak for yourself.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 11-27-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-27-2009 at 10:43 AM   #45
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
But meh, we're all pretty young (everyone but Reeves, haha, joking)
I hate you.