MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good, safe neighbourhoods in Hamilton jrol First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-13-2013 10:23 PM
125 Wellington St. North safe? holiday1001 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 8 06-12-2012 10:34 AM
the wellington megg.noelle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 11-23-2010 11:37 AM
Is PayPal safe? Allan General Discussion 31 10-19-2010 11:55 AM
Wellington Street South - Safe? Lifejacket Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 10 07-30-2010 12:47 AM

How safe is Wellington Street in Hamilton?

Old 01-21-2014 at 09:39 PM   #1
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

How safe is Wellington Street in Hamilton?
I'm in the midst of looking for a new place with my girlfriend in Hamilton, and think I may have found a nice apartment in a house near King St. and Wellington St. North. I am not from Hamilton so am not super familiar with all the neighbourhoods. It's almost right on a direct bus route to McMaster which is nice.

Does anyone know this area well or have any experience living in this area? If so, what is it like there are should there be any concern for safety at any time during the day?

Any insight would be appreciated, thank you in advance!
Old 01-21-2014 at 09:51 PM   #2
BilluBarber
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

I have beat the brakes off of many gangsters in that area, as long as I'm there its safe
Old 01-22-2014 at 10:59 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

For the most part, Wellington is fine. I live in the area North of the Hospital (Barton), which isn't the best place in the world, but is fine in terms of crime, and 'meh' in terms of sketchyness (hospital). Wellington N falls into the Beasley district, which has a number of low socio-economic class citizens and noticiable immigrant population. It is also one of the poorest neighbourhoods in terms of median income and unemployment stats. According to a web search, there are a number of citations of crime in the Wellington St S area, particularly south of the Claremount delta.

Commie42 says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 01-22-2014 at 05:20 PM   #4
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

i've lived in hamilton for the last 10 years and i wouldn't recommend living in downtown. downtown in general is sketchy i wouldn't live there
Old 01-22-2014 at 05:31 PM   #5
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

I work on Wellington, it's fine, nothing has happened to me, some of the buildings seem run down though.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 01-22-2014 at 09:47 PM   #6
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty1 View Post
i've lived in hamilton for the last 10 years and i wouldn't recommend living in downtown. downtown in general is sketchy i wouldn't live there
It's not that bad. I live at John and Hunter and I haven't encountered much other than a few people begging for change.