MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dress Code ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 11-28-2010 01:33 AM
Dress code for events on OSCAR Chris98 Academics 10 10-10-2010 02:48 PM
Dress for Success! temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-05-2009 10:57 AM
how to dress Theexe1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 292 09-04-2009 10:06 AM

Say Yes To the Dress

Old 03-12-2011 at 09:55 AM   #16
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I saw an episode a few weeks ago where a bride said the budget for her dress was basically unlimited, since her parents were paying $500,000 for the wedding.
Old 03-12-2011 at 10:04 AM   #17
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I saw an episode a few weeks ago where a bride said the budget for her dress was basically unlimited, since her parents were paying $500,000 for the wedding.
For most normal people, that price tag for the wedding would make it more limited....
Old 03-12-2011 at 02:45 PM   #18
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

no thx bai to dress
Old 03-13-2011 at 01:19 AM   #19
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Seriously though, shows like these really ruined the wedding for guys due to girls having unrealistic expectations. Like how pR0n ruined guys image of sex...

Kathy2 likes this.
Old 03-13-2011 at 10:42 AM   #20
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

haha you think 18000 for a wedding dress is bad, hah, check out this show, outrageous kid parties, sry cant find any links but its by TLC. anyways my point: spending ~40k on a little kids birthday party is much worse than 18k on a wedding dress. check out the show its pretty funny
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:34 AM   #21
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
haha you think 18000 for a wedding dress is bad, hah, check out this show, outrageous kid parties, sry cant find any links but its by TLC. anyways my point: spending ~40k on a little kids birthday party is much worse than 18k on a wedding dress. check out the show its pretty funny
I don't know if I've seen that one but I have seen "Party Mamas" on Slice. It's essentially the same thing. It's pretty ridiculous.
Old 03-13-2011 at 12:31 PM   #22
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
How do you spend 40k on a child's birthday party? Gold-plate the bouncy castle?
Old 03-13-2011 at 12:46 PM   #23
Chevalier
Elite Member

haha they rented a castle, hired professional dancers, a horse and a carriage, it was hilarious, and the kid was dissapointed by the birthday cake which she got ( which btw cost i think 3k and was like a wedding cake) the best part if i recall , and the saddest, was that her older sister was going to have her sweet sixteen soon and like there was no way their mom was going to make it anywhere as big as the kids bday party
Old 03-13-2011 at 02:10 PM   #24
Athena

Liked: 0 Times

I saw that episode, it was the most ridiculous party for an 8 year old! Talk about spoiling your kids! Say yes to the dress is an awesome show though, and most people on the show buy reasonably priced (for a wedding dress) wedding dresses. I think its funny that they all end up getting totally different dresses from what they originally had in mind! Anyone watch 4 weddings?
Old 03-13-2011 at 02:58 PM   #25
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
haha they rented a castle, hired professional dancers, a horse and a carriage, it was hilarious, and the kid was dissapointed by the birthday cake which she got ( which btw cost i think 3k and was like a wedding cake) the best part if i recall , and the saddest, was that her older sister was going to have her sweet sixteen soon and like there was no way their mom was going to make it anywhere as big as the kids bday party
Was that the one where the kid was upset because the bird on the cake wasn't blue? Oh, dear. I also remember a Say Yes to the Dress ep where the parents of the bride had gone way over budget on her sister's wedding, and couldn't afford much for the bride. I thought that was really unfair. Her fiancee proposed to her the day that her sister got married.
Old 03-13-2011 at 03:12 PM   #26
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Was that the one where the kid was upset because the bird on the cake wasn't blue? Oh, dear. I also remember a Say Yes to the Dress ep where the parents of the bride had gone way over budget on her sister's wedding, and couldn't afford much for the bride. I thought that was really unfair. Her fiancee proposed to her the day that her sister got married.
I was at a wedding in September, and the best man proposed to his girlfriend (the maid of honor) during his speech. For the rest of the night, there were people gushing over the engagement ring and discussing future wedding plans... at someone's actual wedding. Then the best man's parents gave a speech about how happy they are for their son and his fiancee, as though the wedding had all of a sudden turned into an engagement party.

Keeping in mind that a lot of people at the wedding didn't even know who the best man and maid of honor were and then all of a sudden it was as though we were at their wedding... it was indescribably weird. Am I the only one who thinks that's insanely rude to overtake someone's wedding like that? Because people were excited about it as though it wasn't.

Last edited by alh24 : 03-13-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2011 at 03:29 PM   #27
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
I was at a wedding in September, and the best man proposed to his girlfriend (the maid of honor) during his speech. For the rest of the night, there were people gushing over the engagement ring and discussing future wedding plans... at someone's actual wedding. Then the best man's parents gave a speech about how happy they are for their son and his fiancee, as though the wedding had all of a sudden turned into an engagement party.

Keeping in mind that a lot of people at the wedding didn't even know who the best man and maid of honor were and then all of a sudden it was as though we were at their wedding... it was indescribably weird. Am I the only one who thinks that's insanely rude to overtake someone's wedding like that? Because people were excited about it as though it wasn't.
Yes, I completely agree. I'm sure he didn't mean for that to happen. He probabaly didn't think about it at all. I may have the story wrong though; it may have been a week after her sister got married or something. But I know it was pretty close. I think it was the day of the wedding, though. Hmm...
Old 03-13-2011 at 04:26 PM   #28
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
yep thats the episode, plus the strange thing was that they didnt look very rich at all, their house was ordinary, and they had ordinary jobs so it seems, i wander how they could afford such a grand party,( do these shows like subsidize the costs or something to get ppl to spend big or something?)
Old 03-13-2011 at 04:47 PM   #29
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
yep thats the episode, plus the strange thing was that they didnt look very rich at all, their house was ordinary, and they had ordinary jobs so it seems, i wander how they could afford such a grand party,( do these shows like subsidize the costs or something to get ppl to spend big or something?)
That's a good question. I mean, who calls that show and says, "so I'm having a party for my kid and it's gonna cost $10,000. I was wondering if I could be on your show?". Maybe it's all staged.
Old 03-14-2011 at 01:10 AM   #30
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post

Talk about bad choices for best man and maid of honor. Quite inconsiderate that action was. Could it be staged? I don't trust TV anymore... I mean, there is a reason why you don't wear white at a wedding!