MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
preparing for med school/ pharm school bkkk_5 Academics 58 07-22-2011 04:50 PM
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
Any government Grants? free money for school? Danielle.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-16-2010 04:05 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

School and government need to do something about bad living conditions arounds school

Old 05-18-2011 at 03:45 PM   #16
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
The last little bit was unnecessary, lets try to avoid attributing to disposition and perhaps consider situational factors
l2internet

Why waste my time with valid points when OP clearly can't ****ing retort with anything other than QQ.

run along kid, you're in the big leagues now

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

m0ns13ur, revolution27 like this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 03:54 PM   #17
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Gonna have to agree with vegeta here. Truth teller.

Besides, you guys are a bunch of wussies. You're too used to the high standard of living. Many people would consider any shelter at all to be a considerable upgrade. You're coming here to study, this isn't a luxurious vacation resort for you to relax and enjoy yourself.

m0ns13ur, revolution27, _Luu_ like this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 05:44 PM   #18
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueda View Post
For the confused … it means exactly what it says. The people who don't need to be here should leave. I have been here for ten years now and can't get a decent place to live. I have greater right to be able to live around here because I need to be here to finish school. The rich can go fix a place somewhere else to live.
Seriously, stop complaining and actually put some effort into finding a house. If you've been here for ten years, you're probably a graduate student, which means landlords LOVE you (graduate students in general have a reputation for being quieter, cleaner, and sticking around longer than undergrads). There are lots of nice Graduate student houses advertised on Off-Campus housing website as well as rooms in landlord's houses (which tend to be extremely nice and relatively cheap). If none of those suit you, you could always live in West Village Suites which are also rather nice (though comparitively expensive). There are a lot of crappy houses around Mac, but students are willing to put up with them so they'll continue to exist, if you don't want to live in one of those houses, all it takes is a little searching.

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 06:24 PM   #19
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueda View Post
Really annoyed,

I have been trying to get comfortable around McMaster for years and there are just no apartments. Its like the school and government think its just fine for greedy landlords to come here from all over, buy houses, chop it up into a bunch of little jail cell size rooms and make a ton of cash off poor students. Usually the only one room apartment left is some basement hole in the ground with slopping floors and too low a ceiling for a good portion of people. The conditions stress students out and hampers their ability to successfully complete and education here. I think there needs to be some accountability from the government and the school to secure land around the school specifically for the propose of improving living conditions for its students. The open market will never do that for the students and for that reason it will never improve. I am going to check whether the school promotes its off campus housing in the area when the recruit. I bet they don't. It couldn't possibly be a selling point. If they do though … what do they say? Really! I also wish all the stubborn home owners in the area, that keep giving students a hard time, should face facts and leave because they are really a part of the problem too. They don't NEED to live their but we do.

Thanks for reading,
Daniel Jacques

Is this a serious post?
Old 05-18-2011 at 06:31 PM   #20
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Seriously?

If you want an apartment, go live downtown or something and commute. Don't complain there, BUSSES ARE FREE
Old 05-18-2011 at 08:04 PM   #21
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

LOL some people are against the government using the power we give it to make our lives all better? what the ****?
Old 05-18-2011 at 08:10 PM   #22
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Where do you think all these students would live if it wasn't for "greedy" landlords coming in and providing like what, DOUBLE the amount of rooms in the area?

It's not the govt's or city's job to provide housing just because there are students in the area. That's why people are in business n shit. If it's profitable and manageable, it would be done.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but what's probably easier to maintain (in terms of EVERYTHING, insurance/liability, building codes, regulations, all that) - an apartment filled with under 25 year olds or single houses with likely one leaseholder? It presumably makes sense that what's happening now is the ideal situation - i.e. equilibrium.

Another note

It's not that there are no apartments around McMaster. There's NOTHING around McMaster. Go downtown, and you'll be able to find an apartment. And the trade-off is a 10 minute bus ride. That's minuscule.
spoken like a true mac business student. profitable and it will happen? If it is most profitable to be a ****ing slumlord, then that is what we all get. any talk of 'equilibrium' is what you got from some shit text book or rita cosa or some ****, how usless. just because it is something doesn't mean it is the best.
Old 05-18-2011 at 08:44 PM   #23
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Effekt View Post
I will say however, that an advantage of living in Hamilton is that SINCE the market is so shit, the prices of real estate are SIGNIFICANTLY less than places like Toronto/Montreal, but you get what you pay for lol.
lul what?
Most of my friends go to Toronto schools and not only do they pay more than me, but they generally live in shitholes. Like actually disgusting shithole city apartments or houses that frankly scare the shit out of me.

Like yeah..I've seen some shitholes around here too, but by far the majority are actually really nice, and if you shop around enough, you can get some pretty good deals.
It's just life...

Old 05-18-2011 at 09:00 PM   #24
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

My friends student house in Toronto is so small. His bed barely even fits in his room.

Just for perspective, him and his four roommates live in an apartment about a third of the space that 6 people i know share here at Mac. Plus my Toronto friend has to deal with the House having a few other apartments in it.

Last edited by arathbon : 05-18-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2011 at 09:34 PM   #25
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
lul what?
Most of my friends go to Toronto schools and not only do they pay more than me, but they generally live in shitholes. Like actually disgusting shithole city apartments or houses that frankly scare the shit out of me.

Like yeah..I've seen some shitholes around here too, but by far the majority are actually really nice, and if you shop around enough, you can get some pretty good deals.
It's just life...
The number of times shit was used in this post is awkward.

After reviewing this thread again, I've decided that the OP has successfully trolled our asses.