MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business School Videos Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-01-2010 05:59 PM
Conflict Plagues The School Of Business Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 04-06-2010 04:23 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Ten: DeGroote School of Business jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 2 09-29-2009 05:29 PM
Degroote School of Business (2009) lorend Academics 25 07-16-2009 05:30 PM

School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business)

Old 06-24-2010 at 10:06 AM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK3 View Post
I already took Calc and Data Management in my high school, does that mean I have to fill up those 2 courses with 2 extra electives? Is the 30 credit rule mandatory for all Business I students?
You need 120 units in total. Those who didn't take Calculus or Data Management in highschool have to do it in university. Therefore 2 of their electives have to contribute to these 2 courses. So for you, it's just normal.

I don't believe you need to take 30 units, but you need to meet requirements in order to get into level II. If you want to graduate in 4 years you'll have to take an average of 30 units a year.
Old 06-24-2010 at 11:27 AM   #17
sayok8737

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK3 View Post
I already took Calc and Data Management in my high school, does that mean I have to fill up those 2 courses with 2 extra electives? Is the 30 credit rule mandatory for all Business I students?
You don't have to take MATH 1F03 or STATISTICS 1M03 if you took calc and data in HS ! Therefore you have 2 extra electives (6 units).
Old 06-27-2010 at 11:12 PM   #18
ruby101

Liked: 5 Times

I already took Calc and Data Management in my high school, too. So I need to take 4 electives. I don't know should I take Math 1A03 or 1M03 ? Can anyone tell me which one is easier and which one is more similar to calc in high school ? Thanks .
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:00 PM   #19
lizziemcg

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby101 View Post
I already took Calc and Data Management in my high school, too. So I need to take 4 electives. I don't know should I take Math 1A03 or 1M03 ? Can anyone tell me which one is easier and which one is more similar to calc in high school ? Thanks .

Hey there! I just finished up my first year in commerce and we were all required to take 1M03. I found it to be easy; a lot was review from high school and the new material was easily understandable and following along in class provided no trouble. It's like an extension of high school calc.

Since 1M03 is mandatory, you would have to take 1A03 as an elective if you wanted to take it at all.. I knew a few people who took math electives, and they did alright. If you're looking for some kind of future in math in addition to your commerce degree, why not? .. But it is a lot of work.

Math 1A03 is for students geared towards a more "science-oriented" future. 1M03 was pretty application based, in my opinion, so I would imagine 1A03 is more theory. Also, obtaining at least a B- (or a 7 on McMaster's grading system) is equivalent to having taken 1A03 by the University's standards, so it wouldn' t be open to anyone obtaining that grade or higher.

Hopefully these can help:

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/courses/...?cou rse_id=6

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/courses/...cou rse_id=19
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:29 PM   #20
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

You can take Math 1A03 which involves a lot more theory than Math 1M03, in place of 1M03. They are acceptable substitutes in most cases. Taking 1A03, if you don't want to take 1M03, shouldn't hinder you being in the Business program at all. I took it and when I was still a business student, on degree audit, it was listed as a "required" course.

In order to move onto Level II, you need 24 units of credits (as of 2009).

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-12-2010 at 02:20 PM   #21
schad17

Liked: 1 Time

I cant get into my required econ class for 1st year cause its full?
Old 07-12-2010 at 02:39 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad17 View Post
I cant get into my required econ class for 1st year cause its full?
Contact the department.
Old 07-12-2010 at 03:57 PM   #23
shaziah

Liked: 0 Times

Hey there,
I have a question regarding failed courses. I am a second year student at Mac and for this summer I took Econ 2X03 and failed it, is it possible for me to retake this course if it is one of my mandatory courses required for the commerce program? Or would I be kicked out of my program because I failed it?
Thank you.
Old 07-12-2010 at 04:27 PM   #24
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaziah View Post
Hey there,
I have a question regarding failed courses. I am a second year student at Mac and for this summer I took Econ 2X03 and failed it, is it possible for me to retake this course if it is one of my mandatory courses required for the commerce program? Or would I be kicked out of my program because I failed it?
Thank you.
You shouldn't have a problem retaking it as its a pre-requisite for commerce students. You dont get kicked out unless your CA is below a 3. Refer to this(http://www.degroote.mcmaster .ca/UG...QComm2_001.pdf) for more information

shaziah likes this.
Old 07-14-2010 at 08:14 PM   #25
shaziah

Hey there,
I was wondering if you patition for a reinstatement in the commerce program is it really mandatory for you to have documentations to prove ur arguments? And if so, is it based on these documentation that they will consider for ur reinstatement? And if they have rejected ur application is there any other possibilities for u to be reconsidered a second time or would it be of a last resort to approach the Dean of the faculty along with the documentations to prove ur reasons even if its too late? Because by the due date for all applications I did not have the necessary documentations and im afraid it might be too late now. Please help. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2010 at 11:53 PM   #26
shaziah

Can someone help me please? If I took Econ 2X03 in the summer although being a Business I student and failed the course would that automatically mean ill be kicked out of the Commerce program eventhough it clearly does not state that its a required course for Business I? Like how is that possible if its not a first year required course that means i can only take it once? I can retake that course correct me if im wrong. Thank you for ur help in advance.
Old 07-16-2010 at 12:36 AM   #27
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

LORI HILL Academic Advisor, Level II Phone Number: (905) 525-9140, Ext. 27928
E-Mail: [email protected]

Contact her she is extremely friendly and will have the answers to all your questions.
Good Luck

brittanyd likes this.
Old 07-16-2010 at 06:27 AM   #28
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Can someone help me please? If I took Econ 2X03 in the summer although being a Business I student and failed the course would that automatically mean ill be kicked out of the Commerce program eventhough it clearly does not state that its a required course for Business I? Like how is that possible if its not a first year required course that means i can only take it once? I can retake that course correct me if im wrong. Thank you for ur help in advance.
It says in the guidelines for commerce that if you fast track 2X03 and fail, you get kicked out. I'd talk to Lori though.
Old 07-16-2010 at 09:05 AM   #29
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

If anyone's in Engineering first year, I recommend you consider taking both Econ 1BB3/Econ 1B03 (you only need one of the Econs - forget which - with a decent grade average to get accepted into Management; but take the second and you won't have to worry about taking another econ except for 2X03). It will really come in use if you want to go down with Project Management positions in an Engineering firm.
Old 07-22-2010 at 03:01 PM   #30
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Depends on how many credits you had after finishing first year. In the summer, you are still considered to be a Business I student. However, if you have completed 24 units of course I work load (I THINK, or either it was completed the 30 units), you will not fail out of the program. If this is your case, I think you'll be fine even though you are still considered in Business I. If anything, you should contact the academic advisor.