MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
part time job and life sci program? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-08-2010 10:54 PM
Summer school - life sci boogiebrats Academics 3 04-25-2010 03:36 PM
Summer school schedule released (for real) sinthusized Academics 25 03-27-2010 02:38 AM
Spare 3 units - Mechanical Engineering and Management khaotic Academics 3 06-10-2009 12:49 PM
If Facebook was real life... samantha__ General Discussion 19 07-27-2008 09:23 AM

School,spare time, and real life.

Old 08-30-2010 at 09:19 PM   #31
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Lol, the hell? How is asking if there is any spare time while in the program a sign of my interests?
I don't even party all that much to begin with, and having a girlfriend is somewhat normal for people our age.

Please, judging me based on a few sentences worth of text is ridiculous.
I agree with this.

People can pull off having relationships and having spare time while doing well. If I put off relationships until I was completely done school I'd be 32. :\ Balance is so important.

Old 08-31-2010 at 10:52 AM   #32
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Get used to it around here. You haven't even met Souldier yet.
*sits eating popcorn waiting for the fight to continue into this thread*

lol
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:01 AM   #33
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

also dont spend too much time on macinsiders....thread s like these ones will surely take up time .
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:10 AM   #34
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I just graduated from business, and in my opinion it is one of the less demanding programs at Mac.. however it involves more outside of class activities to get your full benefit of the degree ( internships/extracurricular stuff/ going to networking events).. the more people you meet in the industry the bigger is your advantage over other students in your program. So keep that in mind.. but it doesnt take much time to attend an event or 2, just start early ( 1st year)

In first year for some reason the tests and classes are easier than highschool stuff.. I still don't get why. and you will have enough time for not one but two girlfriends if you want.. i swear its a joke.. just study lots before midterms and you will ace it.

For me, the hardest year was 3rd year... but thats probably beause I worked, had lots of group assignmets and traveled a lot, missing classes every now and then..
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:17 AM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
I just graduated from business, and in my opinion it is one of the less demanding programs at Mac.. however it involves more outside of class activities to get your full benefit of the degree ( internships/extracurricular stuff/ going to networking events).. the more people you meet in the industry the bigger is your advantage over other students in your program. So keep that in mind.. but it doesnt take much time to attend an event or 2, just start early ( 1st year)

In first year for some reason the tests and classes are easier than highschool stuff.. I still don't get why. and you will have enough time for not one but two girlfriends if you want.. i swear its a joke.. just study lots before midterms and you will ace it.

For me, the hardest year was 3rd year... but thats probably beause I worked, had lots of group assignmets and traveled a lot, missing classes every now and then..
I find the same thing during transitions (High school and University). It depends on how well your school has prepared you for the transition. If you went to a school that prepared you then there will be a lot of reviewing. In the first year (of highschool or university) they want to make sure everyone knows the basics and that everyone is on the same page. (That's why the full calculus was removed from high school, the universities wanted to teach it themselves because most high schools were doing a poor job).
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:21 AM   #36
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post

Thanks, getting an opinion from someone in the Business/Commerce program helped lots! I actually look forward to the internships, and the networking part. Sounds like fun, and I like meeting new people.
I'll take your advice!

Quote:
I find the same thing during transitions (High school and University). It depends on how well your school has prepared you for the transition. If you went to a school that prepared you then there will be a lot of reviewing. In the first year (of highschool or university) they want to make sure everyone knows the basics and that everyone is on the same page. (That's why the full calculus was removed from high school, the universities wanted to teach it themselves because most high schools were doing a poor job).
One of my friends who has taken some of the math courses that I have for my program told me it was basically "review". Mainly because our school were hardasses in Math, and made us do stuff that we would do in university. Hated them back then, thank them now.
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:21 AM   #37
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzy View Post
also dont spend too much time on macinsiders....thread s like these ones will surely take up time .

blasphemy lol

its true though, internet sites can eat up hours before you realize it.
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:40 AM   #38
mudathto

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFuzzy View Post
just wondering how much spare time does a first year eng. student have?
None, don't ever ask that question again :O!

But nah, for real, you'll have some time (granted it's not as much as your SOCSCI roommates) but you'll have some. One of the things I was told about engineers when I was in first year was that they work very hard, but when they can, play harder.
Old 08-31-2010 at 11:41 AM   #39
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Don't worry about this kind of stuff! You'll definately have lots of free time!

From what I've heard (from friends, TAs, etc) is that Business is one of the less time consuming programs at Mac (whereas Engineering would probably be the most). Either way, I don't think you'll have trouble finding spare time. Classes and homework do take up a good chunk of your time, but you'll always have a chance to go the movies, go out for dinner, go to parties, relax, etc. Definately don't worry about this kind of thing, it'll be fine.

Personally, I work really hard during the week, so that I have to do almost no homework on the weekends at all. Or you could work hard on the weekend and relax on weeknights. Or find a balance of both. Once you find what works for you, I guarantee you'll have lots of time for your social life, volunteering, work, etc.
Old 08-31-2010 at 03:54 PM   #40
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbs View Post
*sits eating popcorn waiting for the fight to continue into this thread*
That only happens when I have nothing better to do. I have stuff to do today, so no drama for you.

And buy "stuff to do", I mean "shopping for shoes online"
Old 08-31-2010 at 04:35 PM   #41
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I know you're joking, but The Hard Times of RJ Berger is probably one of the funniest shows on TV right now- I couldn't believe it was an MTV show. It's no Arrested Development or anything, but well worth watching.

I'm also part of the club with huge amounts of TV shows to keep up with. I'm pretty sure this is the greatest time period ever for TV, despite reality TV.
Old 08-31-2010 at 08:36 PM   #42
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Maybe you're the one that needs to better prioritize.
you think business is hard (the courses; not the networking or getting internships mind you) so forgive me if i take whatever you say with a grain of salt. (your like the forums clown, name the last time you said something useful)
Old 08-31-2010 at 08:47 PM   #43
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
you think business is hard (the courses; not the networking or getting internships mind you) so forgive me if i take whatever you say with a grain of salt. (your like the forums clown, name the last time you said something useful)
LOL, are you serious. The one time I say business is hard and that's the time it gets remembered. Read my previous posts. There isn't a time where I've said something good about the Commerce program.

l2sarcasm, wow.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-31-2010 at 08:50 PM   #44
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

So it took me two seconds to go through the first page of all your posts, and um... You're a bit of a hypocrite, eh? How's that working for you?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-31-2010 at 08:50 PM   #45
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
Sounds like somebody's a little furious that his major will get him no where in life.