MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
School and government need to do something about bad living conditions arounds school jacqueda Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 24 05-18-2011 09:34 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Phy 1B03 supplies pat2010 Academics 5 05-03-2010 07:03 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

School supplies?

Old 07-18-2011 at 02:01 PM   #1
GB123

Liked: 2 Times

School supplies?
I'll be staring my first year in September (life sciences), and I was wondering what kind of supplies I'll need for uni. I think its mostly the same stuff I used in high school (i.e binders, pencils, pens, etc. the usual stuff), but I just want to be sure.
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:04 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB123 View Post
I'll be staring my first year in September (life sciences), and I was wondering what kind of supplies I'll need for uni. I think its mostly the same stuff I used in high school (i.e binders, pencils, pens, etc. the usual stuff), but I just want to be sure.
That's pretty much it. You'll need the usual: a LOT of pens, pencils, erasers, paper, binders, notebooks, etc. It really all depends on you, e.g. do you prefer using loose paper and binders or notebooks. You'll definitely need binders to have all your lecture notes and everything. Also, if you're living on residence, printer paper, ink refills, etc. Also, maybe a planner, but you can buy that later. Also, just note that there's Titles on campus and they have everything, so don't worry about getting everything now or forgetting anything .

GB123 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:05 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

You might need specific supplies for labs, but you won't find those until the first few weeks of school.
The generic stuff you will need is just a notebook and something to write with. Some people use papers and binders, some people use laptops. I'm pretty sure all you need is something to take down the notes, however you choose to do it.

An agenda is a really good thing to have as well.

GB123 says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:15 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Also plenty of extra paper or some kind of scratchpad for doing practice questions. You may prefer using a notebook to keep all your answers in order so you can refer back to them.

I found that using those paper pads (the ones with the lined paper, no holes, that you rip off from the main pad) were very useful for practice. After I finished a work session I just threw them all into the recycle bin. It's easy to carry around and when you're finished with a page, you can use the backside etc etc.

GB123 says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:25 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

What program are you in? Because I know for Science, it would be beneficial to get a lab coat as the ones they sell in Titles aren't the greatest in quality.

Old 07-18-2011 at 02:28 PM   #6
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

do not get a lot of lined paper, you'll barely ever use it. instead get a lot of printer paper instead. and don't get a binder for each course like in highschool, instead get one 2 inch binder and dividers to use for all your courses

GB123 says thanks to Jamalf for this post.

L'Étoile, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:33 PM   #7
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamalf View Post
do not get a lot of lined paper, you'll barely ever use it. instead get a lot of printer paper instead. and don't get a binder for each course like in highschool, instead get one 2 inch binder and dividers to use for all your courses
Just don't forget about a place to do your practice questions on...

GB123 says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:36 PM   #8
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:

Also get alot of rings, basically they are binders without binders .. so get a hole puncher and punch like a set of papers with this ring and you will have a binded document that u can study from, read from and write on easily. I usually print my letures (6 slides on one page) and bind them together with a ring and go to class take my notes write etc etc then i have my binded papers. Before a test I use a bigger ring and combine all the notes and I have a binded document that I can study from! They are amazing and very versatile not like a regular binder.

To write your notes on those binded papers you need a notepad so buy the mac one or get ur own.

Good luck !

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

GB123, InvisoBill, PhysicalSci1 all say thanks to L'Étoile for this post.

kobyla, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:36 PM   #9
GB123

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
What program are you in? Because I know for Science, it would be beneficial to get a lab coat as the ones they sell in Titles aren't the greatest in quality.
I'm in Life Sciences, and if not Titles, where could I get a good quality lab coat?
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:40 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Totally agree. I never used lined paper at all! And having one binder just makes your life so much easier. Maybe you can have one or two binders to keep older notes at home near the end of term when you have too many lectures notes to carry around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post

Also get alot of rings, basically they are binders without binders .. so get a hole puncher and punch like a set of papers with this ring and you will have a binded document that u can study from, read from and write on easily. I usually print my letures (6 slides on one page) and bind them together with a ring and go to class take my notes write etc etc then i have my binded papers. Before a test I use a bigger ring and combine all the notes and I have a binded document that I can study from! They are amazing and very versatile not like a regular binder.

To write your notes on those binded papers you need a notepad so buy the mac one or get ur own.

Good luck !
Ooh, that's an awesome idea! I hate stapling my lecture notes so I think this would work SOO much better. Did you get them from Staples, Grand and toy etc?
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:43 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB123 View Post
I'm in Life Sciences, and if not Titles, where could I get a good quality lab coat?
There's several places like at the U of T bookstore. They're pretty good. There's also a whole bunch of stores around Toronto. What city do you live in?

Old 07-18-2011 at 02:44 PM   #12
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

You'll need the usual supplies, but I definitely recommend having a printer and extra ink ready for when you need it because for a lot of courses you'll need to print lectures notes off and add to them when you're in class rather than writing out full notes. I find it's much easier to pay attention in class this way too. I also think it's very helpful to have a planner, it's much easier to keep track of your due dates, readings, tests, labs, etc. that way. I also find post it notes and/or post it flags, highlighters, and white-out great to have on hand

GB123 says thanks to dreamer21 for this post.
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:45 PM   #13
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Ooh, that's an awesome idea! I hate stapling my lecture notes so I think this would work SOO much better. Did you get them from Staples, Grand and toy etc?
I got them from titles for like 2.99 a pack (full or many rings of different sizes) but I think they have them in staples ! Tell me if you find them in staples.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

~*Sara*~ says thanks to L'Étoile for this post.

GB123 likes this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:46 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
I got them from titles for like 2.99 a pack (full or many rings of different sizes) but I think they have them in staples ! Tell me if you find them in staples.
Oooh thanks, that's even easier . I usually go to Staples in August-ish, so I'll let you know!
Old 07-18-2011 at 02:46 PM   #15
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

If you have the money, invest in a laser printer... it prints a lot faster than an inkjet and you won't be going through tons and tons of cartridges!

GB123 says thanks to Ivan Q. for this post.

gmoney, L'Étoile like this.