MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Science (2009) lorend Academics 14 09-14-2009 08:04 AM
Arts and Science (2009) lorend Academics 2 08-05-2009 03:52 PM
Social Science (2009) lorend Academics 1 06-07-2009 03:29 AM
Science Society Elections, 2009 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 4 02-09-2009 11:43 AM

Science (2009).

Old 06-07-2009 at 01:01 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Science (2009).
Last but certainly not least...Science! Sine, sine cosine sine! 3.14159!

The Science faculty at Mac is the largest on campus, covering the physical sciences, life sciences, environmental sciences and Kin! There is also the Origins Institute, which is a science specialization unique to Mac!

Use this thread to introduce yourself to some of your classmates.

There are LOTS of upper-year science students on MacInsiders (including one of the Exec!), so they can help you out if you ask any new questions on our threads.

From the First Year Welcome:

Congratulations on being admitted to a program in the Faculty of Science for September 2009. As a new student, we realize you may be overwhelmed with all the information, deadlines, and things to do before September, but not to worry, we will do everything we can to help you. As a start, we hope you will browse through this web site, as it contains information about the registration process and course selection. In addition to this, given the importance of registering on time and selecting the correct courses in first year, we strongly encourage all new students to attend one of our Student Timetable & Academic Registration Tutorials (START), which will take place in early July. [...]

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-07-2009 at 02:11 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

SCIIIIIEEEEENNNNNCCEE EEEE!!!! (long science!)
See - Ence! (en francais)

I love this faculty!

To all those coming into Mac this September, feel free to ask any questions about course registration, study tips, or why science is the best faculty ever.

When you come to Mac, you'll meet up with the "scicos" in the black labcoats (best repsuits ever). Get to know these people!! They'll have a lot of tips for you and sure know how to pump up the science love! You can even try and find you some who'll sell you their old textbooks. I did that in my first year, saved well over $250 and made a good friend who I've known ever since! YAY for SCICOS!!

This thread isn't just for incoming first years but it's also a chance for current science students to share what they know (including science <3)

to current Scicos -> CAMPING -> BE THERE!!! YAAAAAAY
Old 06-07-2009 at 04:11 PM   #3
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

How do I get a spiffy black lab coat? LOL

crys.eg likes this.
Old 06-07-2009 at 04:29 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

In second term of your first year you can apply to be a Welcome Week rep, and thus get a black lab coat. Until then, you're SOL...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-07-2009 at 04:37 PM   #5
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Spiffy indeed!

If you're entering in first year this year, you can compete to be a superfrosh. There is one guy and one girl superfrosh each year!! YAAY SUPERFROSH!! You can also apply to be a first year representative with the Science Society. Elections for this position happen in September.

If you're an upper year, you apply to be a science welcome week representative or "sci-co." Applications for this occur in late February/March. If you're selected, you have to go through training which happens in late March/April. So unfortunately, now, it's too late to sign up to be a scico for this upcoming welcome week. If you do find yourself in this boat but still want to be involved, I just put forward an idea with the current planners and I'm going to see what they say. I'll post it here when I get a response.

I <3 Sci-coing!!!

Last edited by temara.brown : 06-07-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: added the part about how I <3 scicoing!!!
Old 06-07-2009 at 04:58 PM   #6
PilotMal

Superfrosh here I come

So I'm curious; any news on the faculty night activities/welcome week stuff this year? I'm stoked beyond belief.
Old 06-07-2009 at 05:05 PM   #7
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

yup! We'll be going to Christie Lake Conservation Area. Science has been going to this location for a few years.. it has canoeing, tons of area for sports, a bbq, and Scico dance. That's the word so far.. we'll see what other plans arise

To be a super frosh, all you need to do is bleed science love :p haahaha good luck.

Faculty day is on the Tuesday of welcome week, faculty night happens on the Thursday. But, you can also participate in Science Air Bands on the Wednesday. Scicos are out at all other events like bedraces, pj parade, shinerama, etc.

I should also add that you can get involved in science activities throughout the year. For example, on Hallowe'en, the Science Society gets together and goes to chuck candy at classes! ahaha.. there's also the formaldehyde (best formal on campus) and more! YAY

Last edited by temara.brown : 06-07-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2009 at 05:14 PM   #8
PilotMal

Yar, I'm excited
You sell this stuff very well, Temara
Old 06-07-2009 at 05:24 PM   #9
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

It sells itself.. I just looovee scicoing!!

Last edited by temara.brown : 06-07-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added the smiley!
Old 06-07-2009 at 06:43 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Lol, I remember the chucking of the candy. That was pretty awesome!
Old 06-07-2009 at 07:26 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Hmm...one of the MacInsiders Execs is in the Faculty of Science...

I wonder who it could be. xD

Are grad students able to get in on the funs?
Old 06-08-2009 at 09:18 AM   #12
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

the science society is meant for undergrads (because that's where the funding comes from).. but I can't see much stopping you from getting involved! :p
Old 06-08-2009 at 02:19 PM   #13
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Science airbands during welcome week? I am so there. I'll be there to bring the METAL! \m/
Old 06-08-2009 at 03:13 PM   #14
PilotMal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
Science airbands during welcome week? I am so there. I'll be there to bring the METAL! \m/
I am the queen of air band-ing
And I have the video evidence to prove it lol.
Another thing I can look forward to during Welcome Week!
Old 06-08-2009 at 03:49 PM   #15
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I'll put my real guitar skills to use

I think it may be a little sad how exciting this is for me :p