MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first semester help zzman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 12-23-2010 01:54 PM
Taking a semester off Steph Butter General Discussion 6 03-11-2010 03:14 PM
Join Mac second semester bangbang General Discussion 5 10-23-2009 07:12 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
First Semester Marks! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 8 01-07-2008 10:08 AM

second semester help

Old 01-02-2011 at 01:13 AM   #1
pe2ny

Liked: 0 Times

second semester help
Hi guys. I need some advise for what to do for next sem. I failed CHEM 1A03, which is a pre-requisite for CHEM 1AA3...which is a pre-requisite for pretty much most second year science programs. It wasn't that I found the course difficult...I just didn't study/do anything. Basically, I really screwed up my first semester of university. Can anyone tell me what would be the best thing to do or am I pretty much screwed and have nowhere else to go?
Old 01-02-2011
Toast
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-02-2011 at 01:17 AM   #2
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Wait, let me post something helpful..

E-mail Anderson Cooper, he has the answers you seek.

Edit: I'm eating sweetarts right now...

Old 01-02-2011 at 05:17 AM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

summer school
Old 01-02-2011 at 07:19 AM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

It's alright.

You will have to go to the head instructor of 1AA3 and explain your situation and (hopefully) get a course prerequisite wavier which will allow you to take 1AA3. Then you can take 1A03 in summer and finish it off.
Old 01-02-2011 at 09:57 AM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

The chances of them giving you a waiver for 1AA3 are probably not that good, though. It can't hurt to try, but if they don't, you'll have to take both 1A03+1AA3 in the summer and when you apply to second year programs, you can still apply to ones that have 1A03+1AA3 as prereqs, but your acceptances will be conditional upon you taking and passing both courses in the summer. The 0 in 1A03 will still count towards your average, though.
Old 01-02-2011 at 11:09 AM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I second nerual's post. Try to get the waiver anyway, but keep the possibility that it might not be possible and you might have to take both 1A03 and 1AA3 in the spring/summer terms. This might delay your entry into second year programs a bit (conditional acceptance until your chem marks are in at the end of August). Also, aim for a high mark in 1A03 to make up for the 0 so it doesn't affect your GPA too much.
Old 01-03-2011 at 06:39 PM   #7
pe2ny

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for the replies+help. I've e-mailed my supposed-to-be professor yesterday and still haven't gotten an email back. Also, I've booked an appointment with an academic advisor. What happens if I am not granted a waiver and I take CHEM 1A03+1AA3 in the summer? Do I have to register for one other course this sem since I'm missing one? or am I just left with four courses now?
Old 01-03-2011 at 06:42 PM   #8
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe2ny View Post
Thanks for the replies+help. I've e-mailed my supposed-to-be professor yesterday and still haven't gotten an email back. Also, I've booked an appointment with an academic advisor. What happens if I am not granted a waiver and I take CHEM 1A03+1AA3 in the summer? Do I have to register for one other course this sem since I'm missing one? or am I just left with four courses now?
use the power of the internet, young wanderer

Old 01-03-2011 at 06:45 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe2ny View Post
You don't have to register in another course, and you can keep your course load at 4 if you'd like and it might make your load easier. I would personally take an elective to raise my GPA and finish with 33 units at the end of the summer, but you certainly don't have to!