MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPA for 2nd Year Engineering adame1195 General Discussion 4 01-03-2014 05:59 PM
Entering Engineering next year - QUESTIONS about first year Devine13 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 03-08-2013 08:42 AM
1st year engineering Arisu4 Introduce Yourself 1 08-31-2012 07:53 PM
Second year engineering S.lee Academics 8 12-29-2011 09:59 PM

Second Year Engineering

Old 02-01-2014 at 10:08 PM   #1
Cyan

Liked: 0 Times

Second Year Engineering
What were the cutoffs for all the second year engineering courses last year. I am aware that the cutoffs are not officially released but what was the lowest grade you're aware of that got in?

Also I know the grades hop around from year to year, I'm completely just curious about the most recent outcome.

Secondly, what are the thoughts on Elec/Biomed engineering?
Old 02-01-2014 at 10:18 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

The cutoffs vary stream to stream, so what stream(s) are you interested in?
Old 02-01-2014 at 10:29 PM   #3
Cyan

Liked: 0 Times

All the cutoffs that you know of!
Old 02-01-2014 at 10:54 PM   #4
celtics_fan

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
All the cutoffs that you know of!
While there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to know about all of them, please don't feel that you have to get into some sort of stream (whatever it is) or it will be the end of the world. Be sure to take your considerations into account as well!
Old 02-02-2014 at 12:05 AM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

you are guaranteed a spot with a 4.0 (of 12) average although typically this will be with software or eng phys. The highest averages are management and elec biomed. Aim for about a 9 for your first choice to be (pretty much...but not absolutely) guaranteed. Its hard to say because averages change every year based on demand. Those programs with a static number of spots (like biomed...which needs permission from health sci and science to increase its number of spots) generally have the highest averages.

As for biomed...it is certainly a good program. However from what ive seen you will either
1) Complete the degree in 4-5 years without a 16 month internship and go to grad school (usually at UFT)
2) Get a 16 month internship and go directly into industry but usually in the electrical or software field.

One great thing about biomed is that it tends to be a very tight-knit group due to its small size and specialized classes. Theres a lot of teamwork involved...which is pretty much required to do well in every course.
Old 02-02-2014 at 12:07 AM   #6
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

engineers personalities can sometimes be something you really don't want to get involved with. I guess it can be hit or miss. But wow. this reputation you hear about at uni does NOT stop after graduation, that reputation is something engineers who have graduated perpetuate for lyfe mane.

Just the facts.
Old 02-02-2014 at 03:51 PM   #7
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
engineers personalities can sometimes be something you really don't want to get involved with. I guess it can be hit or miss. But wow. this reputation you hear about at uni does NOT stop after graduation, that reputation is something engineers who have graduated perpetuate for lyfe mane.

Just the facts.
Shoo, shoo, go away, you made threads for trolling. Use them.

Quote:
What were the cutoffs for all the second year engineering courses last year. I am aware that the cutoffs are not officially released but what was the lowest grade you're aware of that got in?

Also I know the grades hop around from year to year, I'm completely just curious about the most recent outcome.

Secondly, what are the thoughts on Elec/Biomed engineering?
Elec isn't very hight, it is a relatively big program. Biomed might be a problem, it accepts around 60 students.

But you might get lucky and get in. It also happens.

BenDover likes this.
Old 02-02-2014 at 10:47 PM   #8
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Whats the cutoff for ChemBioEng last year?
Old 02-03-2014 at 09:49 AM   #9
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 63 Times

One thing that the people asking questions dont seem to understand in this thread... is that no one knows the cut-offs for any discipline exactly. In order to know that, one would have to ask every student in their discipline their first year averages. Either way, why does it matter the cut off average? Just strive to get the best marks you can and then you will be able to get into whatever your favourite course is that those marks will allow.
Cutoff grades change annually because stream preferences of the first year class are never the exact same. So just apply yourself in first year and if you do so, you wont need to worry about asking for cut off grades