MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Year Engineering Programs chistes First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-18-2010 05:00 PM
life science 2nd year programs kwyhan Academics 7 06-11-2010 07:22 PM
Second year programs zunizoon Academics 12 05-30-2010 09:58 AM
Year II Bio Programs? rrtt General Discussion 8 06-27-2009 11:05 PM
Switch Programs In Second Year crazytown Academics 3 06-24-2009 07:34 PM

second year programs

Old 05-30-2009 at 10:31 AM   #31
dsteph
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

ok...so I'm stuck on one thing. I'm just looking at the requirements for one of the programs I am eligible for and I don’t know if I should be referring to the undergraduate calendar for the year I entered the university (2008/09) or the updated calendar for this year, the year I go into second year (2009/10) and really begin the program…any help would be great! Thanks!
Old 05-30-2009 at 10:34 AM   #32
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteph View Post
ok...so I'm stuck on one thing. I'm just looking at the requirements for one of the programs I am eligible for and I don’t know if I should be referring to the undergraduate calendar for the year I entered the university (2008/09) or the updated calendar for this year, the year I go into second year (2009/10) and really begin the program…any help would be great! Thanks!
I'm not quite sure what you want to do with the undergraduate calendars? As far as seeing requirements for the program and the classes you need to take, I would look at the new 2009/2010 calendar.
Old 05-30-2009 at 10:39 AM   #33
notredame

Liked: 0 Times

Oh thank God! Thanks so much Lorend.
So shouldn't contact my faculty? Just try again in third year?
Old 05-30-2009 at 10:51 AM   #34
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteph View Post
It depends. Sometimes the requirements change from year to year; so what is in one undergrad calender is no longer considered applicable. For instance, when I entered, all Soc Sci students had to take Critical Thinking; but when I was in second year they removed that requirement. If you had already taken the class it was considered an elective.

Contact the academic adviser in your faculty, and they can best direct you.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-30-2009 at 10:54 AM   #35
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by notredame View Post
Oh thank God! Thanks so much Lorend.
So shouldn't contact my faculty? Just try again in third year?
If you wish you can contact your faculty, but they are essentially going to tell you what I did: that you can mirror the program and enter it in year three or four.

There is a specific process of how to add your desired program, but you don't need to do it until you choose your courses for 2010-2011 (so email them next March-ish).

Also, you can ask them what specifically grades you need to be considered for entry; but that's not necessarily something you need to do right now; it can wait until September or so.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

notredame says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 05-31-2009 at 05:04 PM   #36
jordanrogers

Liked: 1 Time

so i mentioned before that my double major program changes what faculty i am in. and i know it changes automatically but for when i pick courses does that mean i pick courses on the day of my new faculty, or the original faculty i was in last term?
Old 05-31-2009 at 05:08 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Most likely your new faculty, but I would check both days to be safe.
Old 05-31-2009 at 06:17 PM   #38
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Mirror-ing programs
What do you guys mean by mirroring a program?...do you take all the same courses as that program but not directly being in it?
Old 05-31-2009 at 06:18 PM   #39
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
What do you guys mean by mirroring a program?...do you take all the same courses as that program but not directly being in it?
Exactly. Following that, you try to switch into the program.
Old 06-03-2009 at 10:47 AM   #40
lacus1004

hi, i was reading through the post and i didn't quite understand something
does mac.. send out packages home after you got into second year program?
or do they send it through email?

i thought that these days, everything is done through email....
Old 06-03-2009 at 10:57 AM   #41
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacus1004 View Post
hi, i was reading through the post and i didn't quite understand something
does mac.. send out packages home after you got into second year program?
or do they send it through email?

i thought that these days, everything is done through email....
Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing :s
Old 06-03-2009 at 11:10 AM   #42
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

I don't think they send out packages. You find out what program you've made it into on MUGSI, and then proceed with course selections once SOLAR opens up for you later in the summer... At least in Eng, that's what they do. It might be different for other faculties, but I doubt it.
Old 06-03-2009 at 11:26 AM   #43
lacus1004

thanks, i really hope they do not send it home.. ^^

also

after seeing the final grade report, it said that i'm eligible for this program: B.Sc. Science, but i can't seem to find this program in any of the course calendar.
also i applied for B.Sc. Life sci and i had enough CA but the other requirement for that program was that i get average of 4 in bio 1A03, 1M03 and one from psych. i was not able to get an average of 4 on those three courses..
would that be the reason why i was put into B.Sc. Science?

also since I got into this program, what kind of courses can i take then? since i can't find this program on the course calendar.
Old 06-03-2009 at 11:44 AM   #44
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Lacus:

Can you paste exactly what it says below your grade report? (You can *** out the grades, I just want to see exactly what it says for your program eligibility)

Hopefully then I can try to accurately answer your question.

EDIT: No, they don't send out any more packages. Pretty much the only mail I've received from Mac beyond the first year acceptance packages, are the validation stickers, and account statements at the end of the year.

lacus1004 says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 06-03-2009 at 11:52 AM   #45
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
You can *** out the grades, I just want to see exactly what it says for your program eligibility)
lol, I sat there for a good 2 minutes trying to figure out what curse word could have possibly been filtered out there, then I finally got what you meant. lol