MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Senior Credit milkproject Academics 1 10-31-2012 01:44 AM
Any Senior Comp. Sci students out there? anonanon987 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 44 05-06-2011 02:31 PM
Senior thesis, scary? dumbconsumer Academics 10 10-19-2010 02:37 PM
Importance of Senior thesis? Richa Academics 3 06-10-2010 06:48 AM
Senior Thesis vs. Senior Project Fawkes Academics 6 05-29-2010 07:58 PM

Senior Undergrad Thesis

Old 11-10-2012 at 10:32 PM   #1
oxelhs

Liked: 11 Times

Senior Undergrad Thesis
I just realized I have no idea how this entire process works. I know you need to contact a prof who's willing to take you on but what happens after? You just propose a random idea you want to pursue pertaining to their work?
Old 11-10-2012 at 10:38 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxelhs View Post
I just realized I have no idea how this entire process works. I know you need to contact a prof who's willing to take you on but what happens after? You just propose a random idea you want to pursue pertaining to their work?
They should send out information to the third years in the program. And typically the prof has a project in mind for you (or a few for you to choose from). Some profs do want you to come up with your own project, but that's not as common. Once you find a prof you'll need to fill out a form from your department.
Old 11-10-2012 at 10:45 PM   #3
oxelhs

Liked: 11 Times

Ahh I see. Do they send this information out in first or second term? Yeah for now I haven't read many of the profs' works so I am at a loss for an "original" idea.
Old 11-11-2012 at 05:46 AM   #4
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

Ohhhh...prof's usually have ideas for you? I was planning to contact them with some ideas...
Old 11-11-2012 at 09:56 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

It can't hurt if you already have ideas to contact them with those ideas, since some profs do want you to, and the worst that can happen is they say no, they already have a project in mind.

As for when they send out the information, it's different for every program. Usually December/January, with the forms being due March/April, but it differs. You can contact a prof sooner though, if you want. Generally the rush is December and January, but people definitely find positions before and after that time, too. In November some profs say it's too early and to contact them again later on, but others will be willing to commit that early.

If you have questions about how your program specifically runs thesis, you should contact either the thesis coordinator or the undergrad advisor for your department.

Zebedee says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 11-11-2012 at 03:49 PM   #6
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Erm...what kinds of things do you say in a query letter? Should I send my resume?
Old 11-11-2012 at 04:01 PM   #7
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

this is why you should have come to the biosoc event lexo
Old 11-11-2012 at 04:22 PM   #8
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Not in bio...though I'm not entirely against gate-crashing...
Old 11-11-2012 at 06:12 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Erm...what kinds of things do you say in a query letter? Should I send my resume?
Resume and often a transcript...if you don't send a transcript then at some point they will likely (though not always) ask to see it anyways. My PI never asked to see my transcript, so it's possible, but really not very common.

Zebedee says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 11-12-2012 at 03:54 PM   #10
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

I kind of just started talking to one of my professors at office hours in 3rd year and thats how I got into his lab. Also volunteered there, etc. Didn't ask me for my grades because he knew I did well in his classes and that's all that mattered, I guess.