MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where is the megabus stop? ss1995 Automotive & Transportation 4 02-14-2014 09:18 AM
how do you stop procrastinating? rpg51 General Discussion 21 12-22-2012 11:59 AM
Sexism, in my Macinsiders? robots General Discussion 5 11-15-2011 03:54 PM
Stop getting it on is the MUSC Rossclot General Discussion 73 04-10-2010 04:41 PM
Bus Stop redex General Discussion 4 10-09-2007 11:46 PM

Sexism still exists in Engineering! STOP IT!

Old 03-21-2014 at 01:22 PM   #1
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Sexism still exists in Engineering! STOP IT!
Free lunch ONLY for female students? WTF?

http://dunlap.utoronto.ca/wp-content... eb18_V31.pdf

This summer school session was just emailed to all undergraduate students in ECE department.
Old 03-21-2014 at 01:32 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Whaaaa?

1) I got this email. Doesnt mention lunch or anything related to gender,sex,male,femal e etc...
2) Sometimes lunches and stuff are hosted by Women In Engineering...to promote more women to come into engineering...somethi ng I think most male engineers would be very happy to see..

airvcarmelo likes this.
Old 03-21-2014 at 02:38 PM   #3
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
Whaaaa?

1) I got this email. Doesnt mention lunch or anything related to gender,sex,male,femal e etc...
2) Sometimes lunches and stuff are hosted by Women In Engineering...to promote more women to come into engineering...somethi ng I think most male engineers would be very happy to see..
Read the email again.

http://postimg.org/image/445dqaren/

I thought it was a misprint too until I went to the homepage and saw the same information posted there.

The problem I have is that everyone pay $500 for registration and yet ONLY the female students registered get additional free mentoring lunches.

Your number 2 statement also shows the sexism the males have to suffered within the faculty of engineering.

If you have boobs and a V (somehow that word is censored out, yes, caused a V is such a bad word - ***** - yet you are able to say ***** - WTF? Sexism in forum too! ******), you are instantly showered with love and extra attention from TA and Profs. Just smile and maybe shed a tears and WHAM! Marks will just drip down that face of your.

Stop this sexism!

Just because the gender has a low ratio within the faculty does not mean the faculty need to bend over backward for them!

You don't see "Men in Nursing" do you? They are under-represented there too.
Old 03-21-2014 at 02:41 PM   #4
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Oh man. Seriously, even this forum code is sexist. You can say P but not V. Try it. *****. ******. SEE?

Phoneup likes this.
Old 03-21-2014 at 02:49 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLyBilly View Post

You don't see "Men in Nursing" do you? They are under-represented there too.

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/news_story114.html

"He is a member of the McMaster African Students Association, McMaster Gospel Choir, Hamilton Chinese Christian Fellowship, and he’s a Student Success Leader. He also plays intramural volleyball and is part of the McMaster Men in Nursing Society."

starfish, Tailsnake like this.
Old 03-21-2014 at 02:54 PM   #6
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Right, now show me a event that you PAY money for in Nursing and only the MALE students get to attend while the majority (female) get left out even when they paid for it.
Old 03-21-2014 at 03:22 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

This is the issue of selective discrimination. Discrimination for a reason to help encourage trends. They're trying to bring out more women in eng
Old 03-21-2014 at 03:51 PM   #8
yoonbora

Liked: 11 Times

this is appalling. when will people start to think about the men?
Old 03-21-2014 at 04:04 PM   #9
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Man up, stop being a *****.

Theashe likes this.
Old 03-21-2014 at 04:04 PM   #10
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

I encounter sexism at McMaster every day to be honest..
They have separate washrooms for men and women... like wtf.. stop this.
Old 03-21-2014 at 04:31 PM   #11
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
This is the issue of selective discrimination. Discrimination for a reason to help encourage trends. They're trying to bring out more women in eng
There's the problem! A great engineer depends on the individual skills NOT their sexual organ! It is the wrong message to encourage this type of trend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayy View Post
I encounter sexism at McMaster every day to be honest..
They have separate washrooms for men and women... like wtf.. stop this.
This is a horrible example as your tuition provided you access to a washroom facility.

The above summer school program forces you to pay the EXACT same amount while giving you less (not having the mentoring lunch included).
Old 03-21-2014 at 04:54 PM   #12
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

^You're not getting the point of why they're trying to bring out more females into eng.
Old 03-21-2014 at 06:25 PM   #13
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
^You're not getting the point of why they're trying to bring out more females into eng.
You are not getting the point that its unfair to FORCE male students to pay for a program that is ONLY geared toward one sex and discard the other one.

I called them up and they had the NERVE to confirms that the $500 registration fees from all male students will be used to covered all the programs including the one that the male are NOT allowed to attend.
Old 03-21-2014 at 06:31 PM   #14
qwerty91
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLyBilly View Post
You are not getting the point that its unfair to FORCE male students to pay for a program that is ONLY geared toward one sex and discard the other one.

I called them up and they had the NERVE to confirms that the $500 registration fees from all male students will be used to covered all the programs including the one that the male are NOT allowed to attend.
note they get a special lunch...but you still get lunch included.

Sexism will only stop when men and woman see their responsibilities as the same. Also the feminist movement has to be completely stopped (there shouldnt be a need for it when things balance out...not saying it needs to be stopped now). Similarly racism will not be stopped until people stop banding together by race in communities. On both fronts were not there..but were slowly moving there.
Old 03-21-2014 at 06:34 PM   #15
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

To me it looks like the $500 is for the entire program. Did they actually say that females get to come to this event free of charge? That professional development seems like it's trying to get more females into the field aka role modelling by female mentors.