MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Connection Review and Sharing PHLN Academics 2 01-20-2011 08:07 PM
Sharing The Casio FX-991 Calculator! Desda Academics 15 09-15-2010 06:38 AM
EWB presents: Mac Alum Sharing Overseas Experience mlangille MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-13-2010 08:49 PM
Share Your Photos of the World Alvand General Discussion 22 07-17-2009 09:36 PM
File Sharing on Campus nikhil Computers & Tech 8 08-03-2007 02:35 PM

Share your internet sharing experience.

Old 02-10-2011 at 08:27 PM   #1
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Share your internet sharing experience.
Looking at options right now. One of which to share a room in a house.

I'm a heavy downloader. Anyone else is also one and want to share some personal experience in sharing internet at the house?

Probably one of the option is to just order a single line for myself to use.

Old 02-10-2011 at 08:44 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I honestly have no idea what you're even asking. Do you mean sharing an internet connection?

I know what your words mean, but overall, the post makes no sense.
Old 02-10-2011 at 08:54 PM   #3
keish

Liked: 9 Times

If your option is to get your own line keep in mind that you can really only have 1 cable line and 1 DSL line going in to a house anyways, last time I checked anyways.

Heavy downloading (read: torrenting) will seriously **** up the connection for anyone else in your house if multiple people are trying to torrent at the same time. To the point where you can't even surf. If your house wants to do heavy torrenting (and has the up/down cap to allow it) you should designate one person's computer as the one for torrenting and have that person do the downloading for everyone in the house instead of raping your router and modem from multiple computers.

Yeah.. I know it sounds crazy, but we've tested it and it makes a big difference. Also.. I'm talking houses with 4+ heavy internet users. Your mileage may vary.

Also, a lot of ISPs throttle connections that torrent as well.. so find that out before signing up.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:04 PM   #4
Nort

Liked: 18 Times

Sometimes when I share too much I have to pay Cogeco 150$. I split it with another person but drat.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:09 PM   #5
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keish View Post
If your option is to get your own line keep in mind that you can really only have 1 cable line and 1 DSL line going in to a house anyways, last time I checked anyways.

Heavy downloading (read: torrenting) will seriously **** up the connection for anyone else in your house if multiple people are trying to torrent at the same time. To the point where you can't even surf. If your house wants to do heavy torrenting (and has the up/down cap to allow it) you should designate one person's computer as the one for torrenting and have that person do the downloading for everyone in the house instead of raping your router and modem from multiple computers.

Yeah.. I know it sounds crazy, but we've tested it and it makes a big difference. Also.. I'm talking houses with 4+ heavy internet users. Your mileage may vary.

Also, a lot of ISPs throttle connections that torrent as well.. so find that out before signing up.
if u have the balls, just download p o r n at school, thats what I do.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:11 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Ah I see. Well depending on the size of your house, its probably best to just get an idea what your house mates are up to.. some may be just as heavy as you or some may not even use the internet past basic things. If some of you guys watch the same stuff, you could torrent the shows and share, rather than streaming the same data like 4 times

Either way, buying an internet for your self isn't always the most economically feasible option.. thankfully the UBB issue is gone and you only have to worry about ISPs throttling the crap out of you
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:23 PM   #7
keish

Liked: 9 Times

I just stream my pr0n. No torreting, no problems. But I guess that doesn't work for everyone. I wouldn't torrent it over my connection at school... lets face it you can definitely end up with the kind of material that you didn't intend to get and the university connection over maconnect keeps a history of what you do for exactly the sort of legal situation that could result in. And at that point it really doesn't matter if it happened by accident or not, you can kiss your scholastic career goodbye... definitely not worth the risk.
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:44 PM   #8
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Im in a house with 4 other people. Needless to say barely anyone else downloads crap other than me. Internet is always good. But youy may not be lucky, and end up having everyone using the internet
Old 02-10-2011 at 09:59 PM   #9
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Interesting feedbacks.

I don't do torrenting that much to be honest. I use usenet instead which always max out the download pipe, 24/7 regardless of throttling.

In the end, it does seems like its a Your Mileage May Vary deal.

That is one good thing to point out too, the fact that you can only have one DSL or one cable. Gonna have to look into that.

How the heck do you live with 5-6 people anyhow? That is like a bunch of people to organize and compromise and.... The rent does look nice though.

Old 02-10-2011 at 10:06 PM   #10
tallison

Liked: 1 Time

So MAcConnect keeps of record? Do you think they care I download movies off the school network - I just use megaupload and hotfile etc
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:34 PM   #11
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallison View Post
So MAcConnect keeps of record? Do you think they care I download movies off the school network - I just use megaupload and hotfile etc
I want to know this to. Do we have a cap on how much we can download? Anyone ever getting a letter from the school as a result of downloading too much stuff using MacConnect?

Old 02-10-2011 at 10:35 PM   #12
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
I want to know this to. Do we have a cap on how much we can download? Anyone ever getting a letter from the school as a result of downloading too much stuff using MacConnect?
Not sure about that but does anyone else get really shitty speed with MU. I can only seem to get good speed with fileserve, 2shared and sometimes hotfile. It can be a real ***** when everything is posted in megaupload links.
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:37 PM   #13
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

There is no cap at school. I think its a 2Gb daily soft cap but I've gone well over that like 5x that

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 02-10-2011 at 10:39 PM.

PHLN, tallison all say thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:39 PM   #14
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Do they keep a record? Likely, but considering there has never been a P2P case in Canada and Universities don't seem to care what you DL it should be fine

Do we have a cap? We did 2 years ago (it was ~2GB/day) but we don't seem to anymore, and if we do it's considerably higher

Anyone ever get a letter from the school? Not that I know of, again, the school will just throttle you if you go over the cap

PHLN says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:44 PM   #15
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
... the school will just throttle you if you go over the cap...
I don't think they even throttle you if you go over the supposed cap. At least I've never experience throttling. Usually get ~1Mbps on various hot spots on campus.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 02-10-2011 at 10:48 PM.