MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Connection Review and Sharing PHLN Academics 2 01-20-2011 08:07 PM
Sharing The Casio FX-991 Calculator! Desda Academics 15 09-15-2010 06:38 AM
EWB presents: Mac Alum Sharing Overseas Experience mlangille MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-13-2010 08:49 PM
Share Your Photos of the World Alvand General Discussion 22 07-17-2009 09:36 PM
File Sharing on Campus nikhil Computers & Tech 8 08-03-2007 02:35 PM

Share your internet sharing experience.

Old 02-10-2011 at 11:08 PM   #16
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
I don't think they even throttle you if you go over the supposed cap. At least I've never experience throttling. Usually get ~1Mbps on various hot spots on campus.
They did for about half a semester in my first year, they haven't consistently done so since
Old 02-10-2011 at 11:11 PM   #17
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Where on campus do you get the best speed?

I'm assuming you would need to physically connect to their network instead of relying on WIFI in order to obtain the best download speed.

So if that is the case, where would that be?

Old 02-10-2011 at 11:42 PM   #18
keish

Liked: 9 Times

Yes, they keep records of everything because they are legally required to since they offer internet access to people who live there. Otherwise the university would be legally responsible for any illegal activities that occur on their connection. If you use the wireless (mac connect login) or the wired in your room (they know who lives in which room) then if they are subpoenaed (that could be spelled wrong) they can lay responsibility for the activity on someone other then the university.

That being said, you have privacy rights that protect what you do... so it's not like someone at the university is regularly checking random students to see if they're being bad. That would (probably) be illegal. But if there was a criminal investigation for any reason then they would be able to look through your records. So really.. you'd have to set off a flag first before anyone started paying attention to what you do. But I dunno what could cause a flag, and it's just not worth ANY RISK getting in trouble for anything seriously illegal (ie.. bad pr0nz) with connection to your education.

As for p2p and stuff like that.. it's not worth it for the university to draw bad press towards itself or create the GIANT lawsuit that would result from any investigation into what resident students use the P2P network for. That and technically you have a much better case about 'sharing stuff with friends' on a closed university network then anyone ever had sharing stuff over the internet.
Old 02-11-2011 at 12:44 AM   #19
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

>on webcam with hot chick
>shes about to show ****
>room mate starts torrenting
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Old 02-11-2011 at 04:48 AM   #20
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
if u have the balls, just download p o r n at school, thats what I do.
I prefer streaming.
Old 02-11-2011 at 05:35 AM   #21
tallison

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks for the info -and as far as speeds go - I find it really matters what time you are downloading - in the morning or at night I get between 1 and 2 MB/s, but during the day it drops down to 30 KB/s.
And I haven;t noticed any throttling after 2GB so far
Old 02-11-2011 at 07:14 AM   #22
Fengatron

Liked: 6 Times

Torrent/streaming/downloading seriously ****ed up my internet this year. sharing with 4 other ppl and 2 of them are super heavy downloaders..... whenever their computers are on i have to refresh at least 6-7 times just to open up google
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:39 PM   #23
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

Do what I do, re-route everyone's traffic through your server and give your connection priority over theirs.
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:56 PM   #24
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
Do what I do, re-route everyone's traffic through your server and give your connection priority over theirs.
Teach. TEACH!!!!
Old 02-16-2011 at 09:31 PM   #25
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Teach. TEACH!!!!
It can be done in many ways and it all depends on what you want to do and what is your setup at home.

I have what I loosely call a "server" running at home.

We have a wireless router in our house of five people. I have two cables running from the router to my server. The router is running DHCP and DNS.

What I did was run my own authoritative DHCP. This causes my DHCP offers be preffered from the router's DHCP. For failover purposes, I didn't turn off the DHCP on the router in case my server goes down. roommates would be lost as to what happened to their internet.

My DHCP points everyones gateway and DNS to my server.

On my server, I forward all traffic back to the router.

This gives me the option to do whatever I want to do with everyone's connection on my server. Currently I monitor who downloads how much and throttle them accordingly so we don't go over our quota and also giving my laptop higher priority over them. This is done with a couple of useful tools, iptables and wondershaper.

It is somewhat counterproductive to re route all traffic from the router to my server and back, but I wanted a solution that wouldn't involve me physically running around with network cables. It would cause questions as to what I am doing.

Now this is not perfect as anyone that knows what I am doing could just set their ip,gateway, and dns statically, bypassing my server. In order to secure this, I would have to connect the modem into the server and not the router. But again, this way there would be no internet if there is no server.

Edit: By the way, you wouldn't believe how much por n some people watch.

Last edited by snaps : 02-16-2011 at 09:59 PM.

tatski-p likes this.
Old 02-16-2011 at 10:14 PM   #26
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
It can be done in many ways and it all depends on what you want to do and what is your setup at home.

I have what I loosely call a "server" running at home.

We have a wireless router in our house of five people. I have two cables running from the router to my server. The router is running DHCP and DNS.

What I did was run my own authoritative DHCP. This causes my DHCP offers be preffered from the router's DHCP. For failover purposes, I didn't turn off the DHCP on the router in case my server goes down. roommates would be lost as to what happened to their internet.

My DHCP points everyones gateway and DNS to my server.

On my server, I forward all traffic back to the router.

This gives me the option to do whatever I want to do with everyone's connection on my server. Currently I monitor who downloads how much and throttle them accordingly so we don't go over our quota and also giving my laptop higher priority over them. This is done with a couple of useful tools, iptables and wondershaper.

It is somewhat counterproductive to re route all traffic from the router to my server and back, but I wanted a solution that wouldn't involve me physically running around with network cables. It would cause questions as to what I am doing.

Now this is not perfect as anyone that knows what I am doing could just set their ip,gateway, and dns statically, bypassing my server. In order to secure this, I would have to connect the modem into the server and not the router. But again, this way there would be no internet if there is no server.

Edit: By the way, you wouldn't believe how much por n some people watch.
Sounds great. You sold me. I want them instructions with pictures.