MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas break times? enov General Discussion 25 07-21-2009 05:05 PM
Take a break Chad General Discussion 4 11-25-2008 01:48 PM
Take A Break! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-16-2008 09:35 PM
Break time! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-06-2007 12:01 AM

Short Christmas break. Can't McMaster do better?

Old 12-10-2009 at 03:18 PM   #16
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
We're not getting extra class time, we're getting more exam days. We ended sometime around the 18th last year, remember?
We also started exams earlier last year. My first exam was on the 4th.

I also don't really get what TA hours have to do with this either...

DannyV, Taunton like this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 03:21 PM   #17
oakster15

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
We also started exams earlier last year. My first exam was on the 4th.

I also don't really get what TA hours have to do with this either...
the TA hours come in because the university limited the amount of hours a TA can work because of their pay raise. So the more class we have, the more tutorial hours, etc. One of my classes the prof is marking 300+ exams because there are no TA hours left.
Old 12-10-2009 at 03:25 PM   #18
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
Just wait until you get to the real world, where you'll start your life with 2 weeks of vacation a year. You're getting that at Christmas, and then 4 months off in the summer.
And most places book vacation on a seniority basis. Hope you like a week off in February and November. Thats what you'll most likely get for the first year or 2.

Bobble, DannyV like this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 03:28 PM   #19
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
And most places book vacation on a seniority basis. Hope you like a week off in February and November. Thats what you'll most likely get for the first year or 2.

best time is November . off season for florida amusement parks/california and off-season for tropical getaways. cheap cheap cheap
Old 12-10-2009 at 03:29 PM   #20
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Totally. Count your blessings while you're in school. Don't whine because someone else gets more than you do. Be happy that you are among the very privileged few who are so lucky that the only thing they can think to complain about is "only" getting 12 days off.
Old 12-10-2009 at 03:33 PM   #21
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
best time is November . off season for florida amusement parks/california and off-season for tropical getaways. cheap cheap cheap
I always took a week in November (American Thanksgiving - was dating an American girl), March (the week of my birthday), and July (summer vacation). But I was 7th out of about 400 on the seniority list, so I got whatever I wanted.
Old 12-10-2009 at 03:47 PM   #22
oakster15

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
Totally. Count your blessings while you're in school. Don't whine because someone else gets more than you do. Be happy that you are among the very privileged few who are so lucky that the only thing they can think to complain about is "only" getting 12 days off.
that point is fine enough i guess, but this isn't a job. this is university. you can't compare apples to oranges like that
Old 12-10-2009 at 03:52 PM   #23
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

yeah bro' fight the system.

you're paying 5k a year in tuition for what? so you can only have 12 days of christmas vacation. You paid for your degree and you deserve to be given a break.
Old 12-10-2009 at 04:18 PM   #24
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Plus, Christmas break gets boring. Who wants to sit around at home for that long when there is stuff to be learned and bars to be demolished.

You only get 4 years (give or take.. ) of Uni. You have home forever.
Old 12-10-2009 at 04:18 PM   #25
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I agree. I have an exam at 7:30 PM on the 22nd, the very last exam time slot. It's so ridiculous how short the break is this year, it wasn't this bad last year. Why is it that other schools get to have 2 reading weeks + longer winter breaks. It's so frustrating. Then we have to wait a really long time to get our grades back because they're still marking in the new year.

But, does this have to do with the fact we started on the 10th of September, which is pretty late?
true, we did start late and there are so many required days in the school year. Also don't forget U of T got a "November Break" where they got thurs and fri off, and some profs just cancelled classes for that week ;(
Old 12-10-2009 at 04:22 PM   #26
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Plus, Christmas break gets boring. Who wants to sit around at home for that long when there is stuff to be learned and bars to be demolished.

You only get 4 years (give or take.. ) of Uni. You have home forever.
I don't really get your point we are in school then we go home, do hmwk, study (social life...what is that? lol) all we want is a break from to make up for that (12 days... not really)

I have a large family and we all have friends and I have 2 jobs so not really sure how that could get boring during the break....
Old 12-10-2009 at 04:44 PM   #27
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster15 View Post
the TA hours come in because the university limited the amount of hours a TA can work because of their pay raise. So the more class we have, the more tutorial hours, etc. One of my classes the prof is marking 300+ exams because there are no TA hours left.
TAs have always had a cap on the number of hours they work, it wasn't related to the pay raise...

Several profs mark all the exams. Its not because of a lack of TA manpower in many cases (and if your prof told you it was because of a lack of TAs, that's the first time I've heard of that happening), its because they want to make sure that they are marked consistently. I'm also pretty sure we didn't have more tutorials this year than any other year, we just have more weeks where we didn't have a tutorial.
Old 12-10-2009 at 04:55 PM   #28
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

Well, Exams started on the 4th, clearly you don't have exams every day from the 4th to the 22nd! you get a week or few days off here and there between studying and what not .Take advantage of that and do something you would on your usual holidays. I finished my exams last night basically, but I have one on the 22nd.. so thats like 2 weeks for me to travel and stuff between exams.. see.

danallan likes this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 05:00 PM   #29
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Well, Exams started on the 4th, clearly you don't have exams every day from the 4th to the 22nd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
you get a week or few days off here and there between studying and what not .Take advantage of that and do something you would on your usual holidays. I finished my exams last night basically, but I have one on the 22nd.. so thats like 2 weeks for me to travel and stuff between exams.. see.
exams started on the 8th. not the 4th.

and your situation is the same as everyone else's amirite?
Old 12-10-2009 at 05:20 PM   #30
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

Yeah I mean everyone has a few days between exams right?