MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas break times? enov General Discussion 25 07-21-2009 05:05 PM
Take a break Chad General Discussion 4 11-25-2008 01:48 PM
Take A Break! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-16-2008 09:35 PM
Break time! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-06-2007 12:01 AM

Short Christmas break. Can't McMaster do better?

Old 12-10-2009 at 08:48 PM   #61
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I wager that in a couple decades, we'll only get Christmas Day off, and we'll be lucky to get New Years.
I wonder if that happens and people complain about it, if they'll be called drama queens.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:51 PM   #62
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Theyre deeply engrained Stat holidays. no way that's gonna change.

Working Christmas is fun though. I volunteered to work it most years. 2.5x the pay, 0.5x the work
I love working Christmas morning when I worked at Tim Hortons. I'd just get up early then work a 5-1 shift with almost no one showing up because they were all at home opening presents.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:56 PM   #63
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinkess31 View Post
I love working Christmas morning when I worked at Tim Hortons. I'd just get up early then work a 5-1 shift with almost no one showing up because they were all at home opening presents.
I worked 10-6 doing tech support. people have better things to do christmas day than call in about their computer. $35 an hour to play flash games for 8 hours lol
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:58 PM   #64
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
I wonder if that happens and people complain about it, if they'll be called drama queens.
Yes, because a nation being deprived of paid day off they are legally entitled to is completely the same as a student only getting 12 days off.
Old 12-10-2009 at 09:01 PM   #65
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
this post makes me kinda regret not taking Marine Engineering
6 month contract on ship, 6 month vacation
My uncle is a marine engineer. Trust me, it aint as awesome as it sounds.
Ya, when you're 22, its awesome, but when ur 45 and don't get to see your kids for half the year...not so awesome. plus, when ur at sea, ur pretty much isolated with pretty crappy food and nothing to do for fun other than watch DVDs.
Old 12-10-2009 at 09:05 PM   #66
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
My uncle is a marine engineer. Trust me, it aint as awesome as it sounds.
Ya, when you're 22, its awesome, but when ur 45 and don't get to see your kids for half the year...not so awesome. plus, when ur at sea, ur pretty much isolated with pretty crappy food and nothing to do for fun other than watch DVDs.
Some trucking companies have similar time off arrangements too. Schneider used to, and possibly still, work their drivers for 2 weeks, give em a week off, work 2, off one. so they get 1/3 of every year off, NOT including vacation days.
Old 12-10-2009 at 10:05 PM   #67
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I worked 10-6 doing tech support. people have better things to do christmas day than call in about their computer. $35 an hour to play flash games for 8 hours lol
So where can I sign up for that job?

Also, give it a rest with all the complaining. It's not the end of the world. If you want a longer vacation just don't show up to class that first week. BAM. Problem solved.

Last edited by DannyV : 12-10-2009 at 10:08 PM.

reeves likes this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 10:24 PM   #68
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

5 exams in 7 days!!! done on the 14th and a three week christmass!!!!

danallan likes this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 10:33 PM   #69
creen

Liked: 29 Times

Your free to come back to school on the 11th if you want!

danallan likes this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 10:43 PM   #70
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Wow, people are such huge whiners sometimes. I'm not paying for time off. I'm paying for time at school.

Fact of the matter is, school started a week late this year, so exams first term are running later than in the past couple of years. I bet if you whiners didn't have late exams, you wouldn't be whining so much.

Old 12-10-2009 at 10:58 PM   #71
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

4 months off in the summer and people complain about a few days at christmas?

danallan, lorend, Taunton like this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 10:58 PM   #72
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Wow, people are such huge whiners sometimes. I'm not paying for time off. I'm paying for time at school.

Fact of the matter is, school started a week late this year, so exams first term are running later than in the past couple of years. I bet if you whiners didn't have late exams, you wouldn't be whining so much.
If you weren't so dense, you'd realize that nobody's complaining about the amount of time we're in school. The complaints are about McMaster's poor scheduling, and the fact that most people would gladly have an extra week of school added on to the end of April if that meant we would get an extra week off during Christmas.

feonateresa likes this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 11:03 PM   #73
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Three pages of people arguing about the break? Wow...

danallan, DannyV, Taunton like this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 11:16 PM   #74
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
most people would gladly have an extra week of school added on to the end of April if that meant we would get an extra week off during Christmas.
I just looked back over the thread, and you're the only one who said they wanted that. You're not "most people".

You're much more entertaining when you're whining about being called names, while at the same time calling people losers, dense, and telling them they have no lives.

danallan, DannyV, Taunton all say thanks to reeves for this post.

danallan, xo.monica like this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 11:17 PM   #75
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

A few more days off could make a difference, why do you think U of T gave their students two days off for a "November break"?