MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas break times? enov General Discussion 25 07-21-2009 05:05 PM
Take a break Chad General Discussion 4 11-25-2008 01:48 PM
Take A Break! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-16-2008 09:35 PM
Break time! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-06-2007 12:01 AM

Short Christmas break. Can't McMaster do better?

Old 12-11-2009 at 12:47 PM   #91
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
SRA members are entitled to their own opinions as individuals.
So calling their peers whiners because they have valid complaints is okay? Is that what they do in SRA meetings? I'm not sure who elected these people into the SRA, but if I was part of the SRA, I would never call any of my peers whiners, but I would try to understand where they're coming from. Wow, I'm pretty disgusted right now to be honest.

oakster15 says thanks to RockerSocker for this post.
Old 12-11-2009 at 12:49 PM   #92
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
I think this thread just proves how many McMaster students are ignorant to the problems others face, and that if they don't agree, they say they're whiners. And I can't believe one of those people is one of the leaders of the SRA, the people who are supposed to represent students and be respectful to the plight and concerns of students. It's really quite disappointing.
Actually, I think it demonstrates a preoccupation with the trivial and a fair dose of narcissim.

In light of larger issues students are faced with, such as rising tuition and debt loads, an uncertain job market, larger class sizes, reduced quality of education and so on, this is what we choose to complain about? Please.

But beyond that, complaining about "only" getting a two week break (or more, depending on when your last exam is) demonstrates an incredible amount of entitlement and hubris. Regardless of our backgrounds, we are amongst the most privileged in society. We are being given an incredible opportunity that most do not have. And yet we're willing to complain about a two-week break! How many others do you think would jump at, JUMP AT a chance to be in our shoes regardless of the length of the break.

To me this entire discussion reminds me of the spoiled rich brats we love to watch on reality TV who complain that the car they were given for their birthday wasn't the one they wanted.

Seriously, grow up. This is truly one of the minor tribulations a person can encounter in life. Suck it up.

lorend, Taunton like this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 12:58 PM   #93
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
So calling their peers whiners because they have valid complaints is okay? Is that what they do in SRA meetings? I'm not sure who elected these people into the SRA, but if I was part of the SRA, I would never call any of my peers whiners, but I would try to understand where they're coming from. Wow, I'm pretty disgusted right now to be honest.
Well you're in luck, elections are coming up. There's your chance to be a model SRA representative. That's if you're ok with representing "losers" with no social lives.

sniderj likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 12:59 PM   #94
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Actually, I think it demonstrates a preoccupation with the trivial and a fair dose of narcissim.

In light of larger issues students are faced with, such as rising tuition and debt loads, an uncertain job market, larger class sizes, reduced quality of education and so on, this is what we choose to complain about? Please.

But beyond that, complaining about "only" getting a two week break (or more, depending on when your last exam is) demonstrates an incredible amount of entitlement and hubris. Regardless of our backgrounds, we are amongst the most privileged in society. We are being given an incredible opportunity that most do not have. And yet we're willing to complain about a two-week break! How many others do you think would jump at, JUMP AT a chance to be in our shoes regardless of the length of the break.

To me this entire discussion reminds me of the spoiled rich brats we love to watch on reality TV who complain that the car they were given for their birthday wasn't the one they wanted.

Seriously, grow up. This is truly one of the minor tribulations a person can encounter in life. Suck it up.

It's all relative. Some people might say "I can't believe students are complaining about tuition costs and debt loads.. at least they have the chance to go to university" or something like that.
Some people have legitimate reasons for wanting a longer break (ie. work, family or volunteer committments). It's fine if you don't agree but there's no need to call them whiners, tell them to grow up, or tell them to suck it up. If you feel like you must discuss this and how happy you are with the length of the break, you can easily do it in an inoffensive way.

Kareko, oakster15 all say thanks to Kathy2 for this post.

oakster15 likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 01:05 PM   #95
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post

First off, let me just say your post reeks of pretentiousness and hypocrisy. Don't act like you haven't complained about things in the past no matter how minor, don't act like you're some kind of saint who just takes things as it is. And honestly comparing our lives to the lives of the underprivileged is a moot point and I bet the only reason you brought it up was to invoke guilt on those complaining.

How about comparing our situations to those of people in other universities since that's more fair than say comparing our lives to some starving kids in Africa. When you make that fair comparison, you'll notice that people in other universities get to experience longer breaks because their university's administration is somewhat competent.
Old 12-11-2009 at 01:12 PM   #96
oakster15

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
It's all relative. Some people might say "I can't believe students are complaining about tuition costs and debt loads.. at least they have the chance to go to university" or something like that.
Some people have legitimate reasons for wanting a longer break (ie. work, family or volunteer committments). It's fine if you don't agree but there's no need to call them whiners, tell them to grow up, or tell them to suck it up. If you feel like you must discuss this and how happy you are with the length of the break, you can easily do it in an inoffensive way.
bam. right on the button! i could not agree more. i planned on working this christmas break thinking i would have 14-18 days off like last year. even last year i had exams up untill the last day and still had more time off. also, i wanted to work to address certain issues as previously stated such as debt and increasing tuition fees. now since i only have 12 days off (basically 11 since i dont get home till late on teh 22nd) there is no point to me trying to work. i'd much rather spend the time with family and friends.
Old 12-11-2009 at 01:22 PM   #97
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
Also, stress is not good for one's health. If 12 days *really* isn't enough for someone, then that is a genuine concern.
If 12 days really isn't enough for someone, then they need to stay in school the rest of their life, cuz the real world will eat them alive.

danallan says thanks to reeves for this post.

Old 12-11-2009 at 02:00 PM   #98
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
If 12 days really isn't enough for someone, then they need to stay in school the rest of their life, cuz the real world will eat them alive.
Yes, because people's lives consist of nothing more than eating, sleeping, pooping, and going to school/work, and there are no other external factors that could affect their lives in any other way, ever.

I'm not actually complaining about our relatively short weekend, I'm just annoyed by everyone's rather poor responses.
Old 12-11-2009 at 02:13 PM   #99
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

If the real world will devour me, I guess I should just stay in the Matrix then?

Last edited by KayakerDan : 12-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.

reeves, sniderj like this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 02:29 PM   #100
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post

first day of summer holidays between first year and second year was first day of work. Worked all but 15 days that summer ( ~120 days long)

The fact of the matter is that's life. My dad has worked Christmas the last 5 years, but someone has to do his job or else things won't work.

As much as bobble was rude he is right. a couple days of holidays less isn't a problem.

And lets be honest how much studying are you doing compared to browsing the net and youtubing/twittering etc... Your holidays technically stared december 5th.

sniderj says thanks to thedog123123 for this post.

sniderj likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 02:50 PM   #101
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

all in all, i think this arguement should stop. a fellow student voiced their opinion and probably just hoped for some consolation
everyone is in different circumstances and its not fair for ANYONE to be doing ANY name calling at all here.. let's just all wish each other good luck on exams and be on our way.. and then enjoy the many/minimal days of winter break that we have.. not like we can change anything about it this year so let's just make the best of it hmm?

danallan likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 03:50 PM   #102
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
first day of summer holidays between first year and second year was first day of work. Worked all but 15 days that summer ( ~120 days long)

The fact of the matter is that's life. My dad has worked Christmas the last 5 years, but someone has to do his job or else things won't work.

As much as bobble was rude he is right. a couple days of holidays less isn't a problem.

And lets be honest how much studying are you doing compared to browsing the net and youtubing/twittering etc... Your holidays technically stared december 5th.
Like I said in an earlier post, my vacation doesn't start on December 4th. I study as many hours as I would be at school for 5 or 6 days of the week, and I take regular 10 minute breaks like I do at school. It's not vacation for me until exams are done.

I don't know why some people think "I don't study that much, therefore no one else does either". I know of some people who study from 8am to 8pm every day of the week until their exams are over. For a lot of us, December 4th to 22nd is much busier/stressful than the rest of the school year.

chelseab, Kareko, Kevin S like this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 04:00 PM   #103
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Like I said in an earlier post, my vacation doesn't start on December 4th. I study as many hours as I would be at school for 5 or 6 days of the week, and I take regular 10 minute breaks like I do at school. It's not vacation for me until exams are done.

I don't know why some people think "I don't study that much, therefore no one else does either". I know of some people who study from 8am to 8pm every day of the week until their exams are over. For a lot of us, December 4th to 22nd is much busier/stressful than the rest of the school year.
Totally legit argument against the "Your break really started on December 4th" argument.

That being said, riddle me this: If you are studying every day until your exams are over, I have to assume it is because you feel you NEED to spend that much time on studying. Would this not, then, lead you to be happier with an exam schedule that ended later so you could have the time you need?
Old 12-11-2009 at 04:11 PM   #104
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:

Maybe because studying that much is unnecessary? Studying a week before exams start, you could be half done by the time December 4th rolls around...and you're saying people need to study 12 hours * 16 days = 192 hours ON TOP of that? Why? Shouldn't one already know everything by the time they start reviewing, and just need to brush up on a few things?

I understand I'm not in upper years yet, where the workload is considerably more, but most people here think/say first year for Life Science is the hardest year (note, I say for Life Science because I don't know if it applies to other programs).

That being the case, you get a good amount of time to chill each day even if you study 8 hours (assuming 9 hours of sleep) - about 7 hours to do whatever.

Of course this doesn't apply to going back home to see family and whatnot, but we're just talking about relaxing versus studying.
Old 12-11-2009 at 04:40 PM   #105
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Maybe because studying that much is unnecessary? Studying a week before exams start, you could be half done by the time December 4th rolls around...and you're saying people need to study 12 hours * 16 days = 192 hours ON TOP of that? Why? Shouldn't one already know everything by the time they start reviewing, and just need to brush up on a few things?

I understand I'm not in upper years yet, where the workload is considerably more, but most people here think/say first year for Life Science is the hardest year (note, I say for Life Science because I don't know if it applies to other programs).

That being the case, you get a good amount of time to chill each day even if you study 8 hours (assuming 9 hours of sleep) - about 7 hours to do whatever.

Of course this doesn't apply to going back home to see family and whatnot, but we're just talking about relaxing versus studying.
I'm in fourth year and it is necessary for me to study this much. I don't do much studying before the exam period starts because I generally have 5 term papers of 20 pages each due. It's not possible to study during that time.

Say I have 5 exams, on the 9th, the 14th, the 18th and the 22nd. That's only about 3 or 4 days to study for each. That's definately not "too much" studying at all. I get the same amount of time to relax each day as I would during the school year. So that's not a vacation for me.