MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas break times? enov General Discussion 25 07-21-2009 05:05 PM
Take a break Chad General Discussion 4 11-25-2008 01:48 PM
Take A Break! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-16-2008 09:35 PM
Break time! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-06-2007 12:01 AM

Short Christmas break. Can't McMaster do better?

Old 12-12-2009 at 10:58 AM   #121
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I never understood why people have to beat on others for stating an opinion. Is it to make yourself feel better? Because you really are not contributing anything positive.

Anyways I have worked full time for the last 2 summers( May-Sept), and then school till April. I think I've gotten to the point where I forget about breaks and time off. We get a reading week in Feb too. It's really not too bad. Just do stuff you really want to during your Christmas break, get the most out of it.

But I do wish people with "SRA" in their signature were a bit more empathic with students. I've read their other comments and sometimes I just get disgusted knowing they represent students. Gross.
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:11 AM   #122
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Haha, I know. I don't know too many adults per se, besides people I've worked with.

I mean, hell, my own mother still thinks that immigrants steal "our" jobs and she's extremely racist herself, and she'll argue with me till her face turns blue. >_<

That doesn't really make her racist. Its valid. A friend interviewed at KPMG and when he was walking around, he was the minority( he is white). But there are jobs that Canadians won't do, factory etc. where immigrants with little education are used to fill the positions.Immigrants don't steal those jobs, they are given those jobs.
But when you graduate you won't be competing with recent grads, but educated immigrants with 5 years experience, who will most likely get that entery level job. So your mom is half right.
Old 12-12-2009 at 03:52 PM   #123
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

why oh why must the religion and race cards be put into play? please keep them in your hand. Its really uncalled for and there is no need for it here. We are talking about holidays. Not everyone celebrates x-mas but everyone does celebrate the new year we all deserve time off with our families and friends and from the messed up world.

DannyV, oakster15 like this.
Old 12-13-2009 at 10:30 AM   #124
Arnold

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
That doesn't really make her racist. Its valid. A friend interviewed at KPMG and when he was walking around, he was the minority( he is white). But there are jobs that Canadians won't do, factory etc. where immigrants with little education are used to fill the positions.Immigrants don't steal those jobs, they are given those jobs.
But when you graduate you won't be competing with recent grads, but educated immigrants with 5 years experience, who will most likely get that entery level job. So your mom is half right.

Maybe those immigrants are jealous of us white people. I mean, in all honesty, all developed countries are predomiannately white even though the world's population is only ~10% white
Old 12-13-2009 at 10:30 AM   #125
Arnold

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post

Maybe those immigrants are jealous of us white people. I mean, in all honesty, all developed countries are predomiannately white even though the world's population is only ~10% white
Old 12-13-2009 at 01:21 PM   #126
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

this discussion is so silly.
the break is what it is.
i would prefer less of a break so i have more work time in the spring summer, as its really not practical to work over christmas.
i think everyone complaining about less break should study for their exams instead of lamenting over 2 or 3 fewer days on a couch at home.
if you want U of T's schedule, transfer there next year!!

sniderj likes this.
Old 12-13-2009 at 03:04 PM   #127
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
why oh why must the religion and race cards be put into play? please keep them in your hand. Its really uncalled for and there is no need for it here. We are talking about holidays. Not everyone celebrates x-mas but everyone does celebrate the new year we all deserve time off with our families and friends and from the messed up world.
I don't think religion/race has anything to do with anything here!

I came to Canada from a Third World country, we still had the same school/break schedule as McMaster has, so Its not really a difference for me :S

And actually I back home had My GCSE Exams that went on till 10th-15th Of June and then School used to Start in early August. So Mac actually has much longer breaks!

My break in winter was always from 20ish December(According to my exam schedule) to 5th/6th January my whole life! I don't know why people are complaining?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-13-2009 at 03:37 PM   #128
kamalprasher

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post

What you mean by us white people? Immigrants are not just brown, black and oriental. They are white people that immigrate as well. Also white people are not the only ones born into countries such as Canada and US, they immigrated at one point or another.

Also regarding the holiday situation, its better than getting nothing. We should all stop being so optimistic about it, as in life we will always have to sacrifice to gain something.
Old 12-13-2009 at 04:05 PM   #129
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Some trucking companies have similar time off arrangements too. Schneider used to, and possibly still, work their drivers for 2 weeks, give em a week off, work 2, off one. so they get 1/3 of every year off, NOT including vacation days.
Thats why it is sometimes better to work for smaller trucking companies. My dad's drivers usually go for a two or three day loop. Which is pretty good for long haul drivers. Then again truck driving is probably the highest paying non-skilled job you can get because his drivers can make 70 or 80k if they are willing to put the hours in.
Old 12-13-2009 at 04:07 PM   #130
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Thats why it is sometimes better to work for smaller trucking companies. My dad's drivers usually go for a two or three day loop. Which is pretty good for long haul drivers. Then again truck driving is probably the highest paying non-skilled job you can get because his drivers can make 70 or 80k if they are willing to put the hours in.
My uncle used to clear 200k a year. :O Made me want to become a truck driver as a kid, lol.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-13-2009 at 05:11 PM   #131
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
My uncle used to clear 200k a year. :O Made me want to become a truck driver as a kid, lol.
lol sooo you dreamt of having alot of money/choosing a profession based on money even as a kid?

No wanting to be a Ice Cream Truck Driver, Astronaut or Teacher?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-13-2009 at 05:21 PM   #132
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
lol sooo you dreamt of having alot of money/choosing a profession based on money even as a kid?

No wanting to be a Ice Cream Truck Driver, Astronaut or Teacher?
No, I wanted to be a vet.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-13-2009 at 06:02 PM   #133
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

I think being a dog walker would be a better job, get paid to exercise and play with dogs, only downside lots of poop to pick up.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 12-13-2009 at 06:41 PM   #134
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

wow this thread is all over the place.
i want to be working for the FBI. BAU. but thats not ever going to happen
Old 12-13-2009 at 07:10 PM   #135
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
wow this thread is all over the place.
i want to be working for the FBI. BAU. but thats not ever going to happen
Just start saying "Unsub" in every other sentence. You'll be scouted in no time.

Marlowe likes this.