MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas break times? enov General Discussion 25 07-21-2009 05:05 PM
Take a break Chad General Discussion 4 11-25-2008 01:48 PM
Take A Break! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-16-2008 09:35 PM
Break time! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-06-2007 12:01 AM

Short Christmas break. Can't McMaster do better?

Old 12-10-2009 at 11:19 PM   #76
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
A few more days off could make a difference, why do you think U of T gave their students two days off for a "November break"?
Wow, U of T did that? Surprising...
Old 12-10-2009 at 11:26 PM   #77
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Yeah, it doesn't really matter to me. 12 days, 2 weeks, 7 days...
Besides, as soon as exam time starts you don't have to go to school anymore, so your break pretty much started from December 4th, albeit with some hours of studying interspersed in there.

DannyV, lorend, Taunton like this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 12:26 AM   #78
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Yeah, it doesn't really matter to me. 12 days, 2 weeks, 7 days...
Besides, as soon as exam time starts you don't have to go to school anymore, so your break pretty much started from December 4th, albeit with some hours of studying interspersed in there.
I guess it depends on each individual. Exam time is definately not a break for me. I study all day, almost every day (I usually don't study on Sundays unless I have a Monday exam). I spend as many hours per day studying as I would spend per day at school. So I don't start my vacation/break until my exams are done. It would be nice if I got a month vacation, but that's definately not the case for me.
Old 12-11-2009 at 12:37 AM   #79
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Yeah...I'm sure it depends on the program and whatnot too.

If the program was something a lot harder (like social science) than Life Science I, then I wouldn't have as much time to do nothing as I do right now.
Old 12-11-2009 at 01:20 AM   #80
oakster15

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Yeah I mean everyone has a few days between exams right?
sure everyone has a few days, hell i don't start till the 15th. this time is hardly a break at all though i'm studying like crazy! just because we don't have class doesn't mean were not working. i'm talking about the time between semesters when there is literally no work for someone to do
Old 12-11-2009 at 01:30 AM   #81
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Schools with two reading weeks have more students who kill themselves. The reading weeks are there to relieve stress so the suicide rates go down.
Old 12-11-2009 at 06:51 AM   #82
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
Schools with two reading weeks have more students who kill themselves. The reading weeks are there to relieve stress so the suicide rates go down.
I also heard of this, but I wasn't sure how true it was. Really depressing if it is.
Old 12-11-2009 at 08:07 AM   #83
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

My sister went to a school that had two reading weeks and it was exactly that, to relieve stress so that the suicide rate in people going to university wasn't as high.

Old 12-11-2009 at 10:03 AM   #84
Melpomene

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
If you weren't so dense, you'd realize that nobody's complaining about the amount of time we're in school. The complaints are about McMaster's poor scheduling, and the fact that most people would gladly have an extra week of school added on to the end of April if that meant we would get an extra week off during Christmas.
Actually, I'd personally rather have the time off in the spring/summer when I work for money that will subsequently pay for second year.

It's funny, you posted a page back about how someone shouldn't name call. The only person I see blatantly name-calling is you.

danallan, Taunton all say thanks to Melpomene for this post.

danallan likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 11:58 AM   #85
cowpuppy

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
Totally. Count your blessings while you're in school. Don't whine because someone else gets more than you do. Be happy that you are among the very privileged few who are so lucky that the only thing they can think to complain about is "only" getting 12 days off.
Yeah, nobody should ever complain about anything because there is always someone worse off than you. We're among the very privileged few to even be alive to have something to complain about.

Also, stress is not good for one's health. If 12 days *really* isn't enough for someone, then that is a genuine concern.

Last edited by cowpuppy : 12-11-2009 at 12:00 PM.

danallan likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 12:14 PM   #86
homeskillet

Liked: 8 Times

Id like to weigh in on this, as an international student it really sucks, christmas is the only time i get to see my family throughout the academic year and my final exam is on the morning of the 22nd and i have to rush to the airport to make my flight which - only gets me home for the 23rd, and again i have to leave on the morning of the 3rd to be back in time. im glad to be able to go home and see my family but personally im really upset i only get basically 10 days with them, never mind the time difference which will make it hard. i know it was my choice to come here and so i cant complain but i really do wish i had longer. i miss them soooo much,(never mind my friends at home!) but i feel like the length wont make it a break to rest but rather a chance to see my family and friends, which will end up being so hectic because of the time limit.. personally i would have loved a chance to spend more time with them!
rant over.

oakster15 says thanks to homeskillet for this post.
Old 12-11-2009 at 12:18 PM   #87
oakster15

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeskillet View Post
Id like to weigh in on this, as an international student it really sucks, christmas is the only time i get to see my family throughout the academic year and my final exam is on the morning of the 22nd and i have to rush to the airport to make my flight which - only gets me home for the 23rd, and again i have to leave on the morning of the 3rd to be back in time. im glad to be able to go home and see my family but personally im really upset i only get basically 10 days with them, never mind the time difference which will make it hard. i know it was my choice to come here and so i cant complain but i really do wish i had longer. i miss them soooo much,(never mind my friends at home!) but i feel like the length wont make it a break to rest but rather a chance to see my family and friends, which will end up being so hectic because of the time limit.. personally i would have loved a chance to spend more time with them!
rant over.

very true, i never considered international students. thats another thing though that i'd like to point out. i only get to see my friends from home at christmas each year as well because i'm from about 500 km's away. my family i see a bit more often, but not much. i'm thinking some people that think the break is long enough maybe live close and have the privilege of going home weekends to see friends/family?

i could be wrong though

Last edited by oakster15 : 12-11-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2009 at 12:26 PM   #88
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster15 View Post
very true, i never considered international students. thats another thing though that i'd like to point out. i only get to see my friends from home at christmas each year as well because i'm from about 500 km's away. my family i see a bit more often, but not much. i'm thinking some people that think the break is long enough maybe live close and have the privilege of going home weekends to see friends/family?

i could be wrong though
You mean not everybody has the same situation and circumstances? That's shocking! /sarcasm

People should be more respectful of people instead of whining about whining since there is a legitimate reason people are whining in the first place.
Old 12-11-2009 at 12:35 PM   #89
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

I think this thread just proves how many McMaster students are ignorant to the problems others face, and that if they don't agree, they say they're whiners. And I can't believe one of those people is one of the leaders of the SRA, the people who are supposed to represent students and be respectful to the plight and concerns of students. It's really quite disappointing.

oakster15 says thanks to RockerSocker for this post.
Old 12-11-2009 at 12:41 PM   #90
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

SRA members are entitled to their own opinions as individuals.

huzaifa47 says thanks to DannyV for this post.