MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas break times? enov General Discussion 25 07-21-2009 05:05 PM
Take a break Chad General Discussion 4 11-25-2008 01:48 PM
Take A Break! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-16-2008 09:35 PM
Break time! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-06-2007 12:01 AM

Short Christmas break. Can't McMaster do better?

Old 12-10-2009 at 08:00 PM   #46
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Lawl. It's just funny that everyone's so happy we have only 12 days for vacation. Normally people our age are dying for days off, hence why some people skip classes during the year, etc. Yup, really getting the money's worth there.
I don't think anyone here is HAPPY about the duration of the break (unless there is some small subset of the student population which would legitimately rather never see their families again... which is possible I suppose). People have a right to complain, which is totally cool. If someone said "I don't appreciate how short the break is", I would be cool with that. But "McMaster ruined my Christmas"? Come on.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:03 PM   #47
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

Guelph started school on the same day as us in September. Their last day of classes was last Thursday, not Friday and their last possible day of exams is the 18th.

I finish on the 17th, so I'm happy about that, but I still wish we could go back on the 11th as well.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:16 PM   #48
RockerSocker
Account Locked

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
lol. Simmer down. I have plenty of family and friends to visit over the holidays. Doesn't mean I'm going to claim McMaster "ruined my christmas" because I only have 12 days to do it. That just seems a little extreme, IMHO.
You're entitled to your opinions, and I'm entitled to mine. Don't go around name calling just because you don't agree with someone's opinions, alright bud? Just because you had no plans for Christmas, doesn't mean you should call people names because you're jealous they actually have a life.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:23 PM   #49
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Alright, lets try to keep this civil guys
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:23 PM   #50
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
Just because you had no plans for Christmas, doesn't mean you should call people names because you're jealous they actually have a life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker
you're some kind of loser with no friends.
I lol'd
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:25 PM   #51
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I lol'd
hahaha. I had decided to just leave it alone. But you're absolutely right.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:27 PM   #52
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
hahaha. I had decided to just leave it alone. But you're absolutely right.
I was going too as well, but I just got out of an exam, and I need some amusement before I start cramming for my next one tomorrow.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:28 PM   #53
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Just wait until you get to the real world, where you'll start your life with 2 weeks of vacation a year. You're getting that at Christmas, and then 4 months off in the summer.
this post makes me kinda regret not taking Marine Engineering
6 month contract on ship, 6 month vacation
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:30 PM   #54
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
this post makes me kinda regret not taking Marine Engineering
6 month contract on ship, 6 month vacation
That would be amazing!

To put a little bit of context to that post, it was only to make a point. I worked for 16 months full time and took only 2 weeks of vacation in that time (I know, the ESA says I'm entitled to more... blah blah blah), but I had a great time. If you find a job you like, you'll be happy spending time there.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:35 PM   #55
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
umm I'm sure other people have worse exam times but I had the 9th the 12th and then i have 16th 18th 19th. Unfortuantley prof gave an assignment worth 15 percent and another assignment plus lab notebook due the 7th and I have a job...don't want to be complaining but I'm just saying its not like there's that much time between exams.
A lot of my friends have assignments due during the exam break too. I don't even know how that's allowed.

I agree with your other post. I work and I have a huge family, plus volunteering.. my Christmas break never gets boring and it would be nice if everyone got a solid 2 weeks.

If it's only 12 days this year, what will it be next year? 10 days? Then what about the year after that? A week?
Obviously I'm speculating, but you can see where I'm going with this.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:37 PM   #56
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I wager that in a couple decades, we'll only get Christmas Day off, and we'll be lucky to get New Years.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:39 PM   #57
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
after going up to waterloo a couple of weeks ago, and seeing what they have to go through....im not complaining.

at least we get summers, kids at loo (at least most of them) have co-op during the summer time, plus a lot of their programs are five years instead of four.
People at Waterloo choose to do co-op programs, just like students everywhere else choose to work during the summer. It's not like they don't have summer break and we do.

And there are five year programs here as well, and some students choose to do Masters and PhD programs. That's no different.

So I don't know what that has to do with anything.
Old 12-10-2009 at 08:42 PM   #58
sniderj
Elite Member

We are witnessing a gradual reduction of our time off at the holidays. If you look at this graph here, you will see the steady decline. Well, not decline, just fluctuation based on some variable we have not yet determined. It DOES seem to be strongly correlated with the relative positioning of labour day in the month of September, but that could just be a coincidence...

I am here to tell you, that December break deflation is VERY real! It's as real as ManBearPig! And I am TOTALLY serial!

- Al Gore

Old 12-10-2009 at 08:48 PM   #59
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I wager that in a couple decades, we'll only get Christmas Day off, and we'll be lucky to get New Years.
Theyre deeply engrained Stat holidays. no way that's gonna change.

Working Christmas is fun though. I volunteered to work it most years. 2.5x the pay, 0.5x the work

sinthusized likes this.