MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christmas break times? enov General Discussion 25 07-21-2009 05:05 PM
Take a break Chad General Discussion 4 11-25-2008 01:48 PM
Take A Break! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 04-16-2008 09:35 PM
Break time! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-06-2007 12:01 AM

Short Christmas break. Can't McMaster do better?

Old 12-11-2009 at 04:42 PM   #106
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
Totally legit argument against the "Your break really started on December 4th" argument.

That being said, riddle me this: If you are studying every day until your exams are over, I have to assume it is because you feel you NEED to spend that much time on studying. Would this not, then, lead you to be happier with an exam schedule that ended later so you could have the time you need?
I think I would study during all my exam-free days no matter when my exams are. I don't wish that all my exams were on the last two days. I like the way they are spread out now. I study this much because I'm able to, but I wouldn't complain if the exam break was a few days shorter.
Old 12-11-2009 at 05:12 PM   #107
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpuppy View Post
Yes, because people's lives consist of nothing more than eating, sleeping, pooping, and going to school/work, and there are no other external factors that could affect their lives in any other way, ever.

I'm not actually complaining about our relatively short weekend, I'm just annoyed by everyone's rather poor responses.
Im not saying that's all there is either. I'm saying that 12 days is a long time to have all at once, even if it doesnt seem like it.

I grew up in Toronto, and most of my friends still live there. Moved to Peterborough at 22. A couple years ago I got into a long distance relationship with a girl in the US. I got 10 days a year off work at the time. But on those days off (taken in 2, 5 day installments, plus weekends, usually 8 days total), I could manage to get to Toronto to visit people, drive or fly to St Louis and back to see the girlfriend, and still get around town to do my everyday stuff, like visiting my parents, taking care of my pets, shopping, barhopping with the guys, etc.

I know for some people, moving away from home, or even from another country, is a big deal, and they want to get as much time as possible to do what they want, and see the people they care about. I'm just saying 12 (or more) days is more than enough time for it, and the argument that "someone else gets more so we should too" doesnt seem like a very good reason to extend our school year by another week.
lawleypop
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-11-2009 at 05:58 PM   #108
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster15 View Post
very true, i never considered international students. thats another thing though that i'd like to point out. i only get to see my friends from home at christmas each year as well because i'm from about 500 km's away. my family i see a bit more often, but not much. i'm thinking some people that think the break is long enough maybe live close and have the privilege of going home weekends to see friends/family?

i could be wrong though
My home is over 600km away, and I'm not concerned one bit about the length of the christmas break.

You might not like what I have to say on the matter, but it seems to me that the number of people who have a serious problem with the length of the christmas break is quite small. Does that make their voice insignificant? No, of course not, but I'm a realist - there's zero chance of being able to make any significant changes to this, and in fact, next year the break will likely be longer since labour day won't be so late. This has nothing to do with the administration, and more to do with the circumstances. The second term cannot be extended because the summer term would be affected.

If you really think this is an issue that needs to be dealt with, then please contact me and we can discuss the particulars, but right now it just looks like a couple of students are upset that their exams are ending later than their friends in other universities. Big picture? This is quite a petty thing to be complaining about.

Alchemist11, Bobble, DannyV, KayakerDan, Kevin S, taylojl all say thanks to Taunton for this post.

Old 12-11-2009 at 07:21 PM   #109
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

The only thing admin could have done is extend our first day back 'til the 6th. That way it seems like we got two weeks off. Each side of this argument has valid points.. it does suck to have to end the 22nd (3 days before christmas, no time to do christmas shopping, vacation seems rushed and no time to relax... etc), but on the flip side, in a way we are lucky we get that much time off because in some situations, having 10 days off would be considered a luxury. It's situational really.. it all depends on an individual's values / ideas. So, in that sense, everyone who's posted in this thread has a valid point. What lacks in this thread, however, is a respect for diverse opinions. One of my deciding factors for choosing mac as a university was the fact that there seemed to be a great respect and appreciation for diversity, and that collaboration was promoted, not segregation. In life, you're going to meet people who have different opinions than you, and part of maturing into an adult is learning the ability to respect a conflicting opinion while humbly declining it. All of the former name calling and sarcasm is so unnecessary. Respect another person's opinion and understand their situation, because it is probably different than yours. ^__^
Old 12-11-2009 at 07:24 PM   #110
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
part of maturing into an adult is learning the ability to respect a conflicting opinion while humbly declining it.
What kind of adults do you know? >_<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-11-2009 at 07:27 PM   #111
Mz.Morra13

=( my parents? hahaha. I dunno the mature people I know have that ability to disagree with you without making you feel like a total dumbass.. you know?
Old 12-11-2009 at 07:31 PM   #112
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
=( my parents? hahaha. I dunno the mature people I know have that ability to disagree with you without making you feel like a total dumbass.. you know?
No, I don't. Any adults I've ever known are ignoramuses and extremely racist/more ignorant than "younger generations."

ie: most of my supervisors at Tim hortons and Walmart.

Old 12-11-2009 at 07:34 PM   #113
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
No, I don't. Any adults I've ever known are ignoramuses and extremely racist/more ignorant than "younger generations."

I thought you were referring to someone else...

lawleypop likes this.
Old 12-11-2009 at 07:34 PM   #114
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Gotta tell ya... you haven't exactly picked the intellectual elite as your basis of comparison! I agree with you completely, but had to laugh at this. haha.
Old 12-11-2009 at 07:35 PM   #115
Mz.Morra13

Which is disappointing, really...I wish our generation could put an end to it but no matter where you go there are always people like that. If those people actually stopped and thought about half of the crap that came out of their mouth..
Old 12-11-2009 at 07:56 PM   #116
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
Gotta tell ya... you haven't exactly picked the intellectual elite as your basis of comparison! I agree with you completely, but had to laugh at this. haha.
Haha, I know. I don't know too many adults per se, besides people I've worked with.

I mean, hell, my own mother still thinks that immigrants steal "our" jobs and she's extremely racist herself, and she'll argue with me till her face turns blue. >_<

Old 12-11-2009 at 10:44 PM   #117
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Just for reference, here are the dates for each Term 1 session and Christmas break in the past five years:

2004: Term 1: Sept 9 – Dec 21; Break: Dec 22 – Jan 2 (Total: 12 days)
2005: Term 1: Sept 8 – Dec 21; Break: Dec 22 – Jan 2 (Total: 12 days)
2006: Term 1: Sept 7 – Dec 20; Break: Dec 21 – Jan 2 (Total: 13 days)
2007: Term 1: Sept 6 – Dec 19; Break: Dec 20 – Jan 6 (Total: 19 days)
2008: Term 1: Sept 4 - Dec 17; Break: Dec 18 - Jan 4 (Total: 18 days)

In addition, the years with longer Christmas breaks ended about 2-3 days later in April than those that had shorter breaks.

This year’s break is 12 days long; however, the year started on September 10th, so technically we’ve already had our additional break during that time. In reality, what we have right now isn’t that bad as most of you make it out to be (For instance, the new term used to start just two days after New Year’s Day). This year, we had the weird circumstance of Labour Day being really late, so there’s really nothing that could’ve been done about that.

danallan says thanks to KayakerDan for this post.

Old 12-12-2009 at 12:15 AM   #118
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I think you all should step away from your computers and spend your time like you would on your "Christmas break". Go Christmas shopping or something instead of wasting your time on a forum, and there you go, more hours to your break.

mlangille likes this.
Old 12-12-2009 at 04:41 AM   #119
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerSocker View Post
So calling their peers whiners because they have valid complaints is okay? Is that what they do in SRA meetings? I'm not sure who elected these people into the SRA, but if I was part of the SRA, I would never call any of my peers whiners, but I would try to understand where they're coming from. Wow, I'm pretty disgusted right now to be honest.
So you are generalizing the 30 other SRA members as people "who call their peers whiners"(whatever that means :S) because you "think" Mr Taunton here represents the SRA officially when he posts on his forum?

As Danny said Mr Taunton is a regular individual with his own opinions on everything. As long as they are under Macinsiders codes of conduct he has as much of a right to say them as you do. The SRA badge is just a part of his forum signature :S

However, If you were to email him formally with a rational/constructive argument about WHY the MSU should lobby the administration to change its exam scheduling policy and/or increase the break and he replies back to you in a unprofessional manner through his MSU email then that is a cause for concern. On Macinsiders though I feel as if he has a right to be part of this uneccesarily heated unformal debate.

But then again I have very liberal views on free speech because apart from being an SRA member I am also a rational human being capable of developing intellectual ideas different then you or someone else.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

BlakeM, DannyV like this.