MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minimum units required to enter level 3 Honours Sociology? Demosthenes Academics 0 05-02-2014 01:25 PM
Level 2 Honours Medical Physics MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-05-2013 01:24 PM
Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose? tammy37 Academics 9 05-14-2009 02:11 AM
Honours Medical and Health Physics dnewton General Discussion 2 04-01-2009 09:18 PM
Honours Physics DeeNos Academics 1 02-26-2009 08:15 AM

Should I enter Honours Math and Physics or Honours Physics in 2nd year?

Old 12-25-2014 at 03:45 PM   #1
Woodplank
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Should I enter Honours Math and Physics or Honours Physics in 2nd year?
For my first semester I got 12's in Physics 1C03, Chem 1A03, Math 1A03, and Astronomy 1F03. I got a 10 in Enviro Sci 1G03. In my 2nd semester I'm taking Physics 1CC3, Chem 1AA3, Math 1AA3, Math 1B03, and Comp Sci 1TA3. Although I would much rather take Math 1C03 or Physics 2G03 (scientific computing) instead of 1TA3 if possible.

Anyways, I'm aiming to get into graduate school for physics, but I'm not sure if I should go into Honours Physics or Honours Math and Physics.

(Can't post the links to the two programs, but physics can be found in the list of chemical and physical sci programs and math and physics can be found in the list of math programs).

For M and P I'd be required to take more pure math courses, while in just P I would be required to take more physics. In M and P I could take more physics as electives while in P I could take Real or Complex Analysis as electives (if they're truly needed). One other difference is that I'd take Math 2X03 and 2XX3 by default in M and P while in P I would just take 2A03 by default.
Edit: In M and P I may also miss 2nd year thermodynamics and 3rd year intermediate laboratory.

If I'm leaning towards theoretical physics, but I'm not against experimental, which program would be better for physics grad school?

Last edited by Woodplank : 12-25-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2014 at 10:15 PM   #2
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

I would take math and physics. But you may not even like theoretical physics until you take courses for it (3rd year). The majority of grad. school work is theoretical for math and physic disciplines. Math 3x03/3a03 are in a completely different world than any 1st/2nd year courses.

If you want more challenging math courses, M&P is the answer. (2x03/2xx3 are harder than 2a03 etc.)

Last edited by Moghue : 12-25-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-26-2014 at 11:22 AM   #3
mm99mm

Liked: 4 Times

Hi,
how are you able to see your marks for chem 1a03 and maths 1a03, i tried clicking on grade report in mugsi and it doesn't have any marks on there. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank you!
Old 12-26-2014 at 12:37 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm99mm View Post
Hi,
how are you able to see your marks for chem 1a03 and maths 1a03, i tried clicking on grade report in mugsi and it doesn't have any marks on there. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank you!
They were probably under degree audit. When you go to "my mugsi" click on "academics" and then click on "degree audit".
Marks that are under degree audit eventually move to your grade report.
Old 12-26-2014 at 03:35 PM   #5
danix450

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
They were probably under degree audit. When you go to "my mugsi" click on "academics" and then click on "degree audit".
Marks that are under degree audit eventually move to your grade report.
Does degree audit work for you? I get a 404 Error Page not found
Old 12-26-2014 at 03:47 PM   #6
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating4 / 1Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by Woodplank.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 12-26-2014 at 03:50 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix450 View Post
Does degree audit work for you? I get a 404 Error Page not found
Same error i'm getting :/ Eventually they're gonna fix the problem and we'll get our grades :s
Meanwhile, just keep checking your grade report.
Old 12-27-2014 at 06:09 AM   #8
Woodplank
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
I would take math and physics. But you may not even like theoretical physics until you take courses for it (3rd year). The majority of grad. school work is theoretical for math and physic disciplines. Math 3x03/3a03 are in a completely different world than any 1st/2nd year courses.

If you want more challenging math courses, M&P is the answer. (2x03/2xx3 are harder than 2a03 etc.)
But is the extra math really needed for physics? Wouldn't mathematical physics 1 and 2 for honours physics be more relevant than real and complex analysis for honours math and physics? Also, math and physics would be considerably lighter on lab work, wouldn't lab experience be really crucial for getting into physics grad school?
Old 12-27-2014 at 07:23 AM   #9
Moghue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodplank View Post
But is the extra math really needed for physics? Wouldn't mathematical physics 1 and 2 for honours physics be more relevant than real and complex analysis for honours math and physics? Also, math and physics would be considerably lighter on lab work, wouldn't lab experience be really crucial for getting into physics grad school?
Considering the theoretical nature of grad. school work, I would argue having 3A03/3X03 would look rather impressive. I would think 3A03/4A03 are the hardest theoretical courses in the school. And every physics PhD will know what real/complex analysis is.

Math and physics are so intertwined in the way that they are built that I'm sure it couldn't hurt having it.

In the end it will be your grades that matter/entrance exams that will get you placed in grad. school, so I would go with whatever program interests you more allowing you to achieve a high GPA in your later years.
Old 12-27-2014 at 08:35 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
Considering the theoretical nature of grad. school work, I would argue having 3A03/3X03 would look rather impressive. I would think 3A03/4A03 are the hardest theoretical courses in the school. And every physics PhD will know what real/complex analysis is.

Math and physics are so intertwined in the way that they are built that I'm sure it couldn't hurt having it.

In the end it will be your grades that matter/entrance exams that will get you placed in grad. school, so I would go with whatever program interests you more allowing you to achieve a high GPA in your later years.
For grad school, that's not entirely true. If you want to do a PhD in physics, they'll take someone with B+ in the courses you mentioned above, over someone with A-A+ but took a lot of unrelated courses. If you're going to do grad school studying the topic, it's better to have a B+ knowledge in it versus never having been exposed to it before.

Not to say that doing really poorly in the relevant courses won't hurt you, because of course it will, but if you do poorly in the relevant courses then that's probably a good sign you shouldn't go into grad school in that area to begin with

I'd recommend going with the math&physics because it will give you an advantage in grad school. Even if you're just doing pure physics, you need to have a solid grounding in math too.
Old 12-27-2014 at 11:52 PM   #11
Moghue

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
For grad school, that's not entirely true. If you want to do a PhD in physics, they'll take someone with B+ in the courses you mentioned above, over someone with A-A+ but took a lot of unrelated courses. If you're going to do grad school studying the topic, it's better to have a B+ knowledge in it versus never having been exposed to it before.

Not to say that doing really poorly in the relevant courses won't hurt you, because of course it will, but if you do poorly in the relevant courses then that's probably a good sign you shouldn't go into grad school in that area to begin with

I'd recommend going with the math&physics because it will give you an advantage in grad school. Even if you're just doing pure physics, you need to have a solid grounding in math too.
I meant for him to pick the one he most enjoys between Math&Phyiscs or pure physics. And as you said, with pure physics a solid grounding in math is key. Having a solid understanding of theoretical mathematics and proof is also important for a PhD/Masters degree (Math 3A03).