MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hi i have a simple mac id question harman911 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-30-2010 06:47 PM
very simple questions that enforce themselves :S optimism First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-28-2010 01:39 PM
Life's simple pleasures - what do you enjoy? Needlenose General Discussion 31 06-21-2010 03:55 PM
Its simple, really. Valentine's Day Mr. Pink General Discussion 3 02-14-2010 09:37 PM
Cheap, simple cameras? Kathy2 General Discussion 17 12-01-2009 02:15 PM

Simple questions regarding CA

Old 11-14-2009 at 12:03 PM   #1
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Simple questions regarding CA
Just 2 really simple questions that an upper year might be able to answer.

1. Is there a prerequisite to go into the next semester of that course (ie, 1A03 to 1AA3) besides passing the course?

2. I checked the mcamster undergraduate calender and it says in order to get into honors life sci you needed a CA of 6, under that it showed the list of courses that you needed as prerequisite.

The only thing is, it's only 24 units of courses. I took 30 so my question is, when calculating the CA, does it only calculate the 30 units of courses's average or just the 24 required ones?
Old 11-14-2009 at 12:38 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post

1. Is there a prerequisite to go into the next semester of that course (ie, 1A03 to 1AA3) besides passing the course?

2. I checked the mcamster undergraduate calender and it says in order to get into honors life sci you needed a CA of 6, under that it showed the list of courses that you needed as prerequisite.

The only thing is, it's only 24 units of courses. I took 30 so my question is, when calculating the CA, does it only calculate the 30 units of courses's average or just the 24 required ones?
1. No, there's generally no prerequisite for getting into the second first year bio, or chem. It might have changed, but in my first year you didn't even need to finish one in order to take the other, since they cover completely different aspects of biology (one is micro-level bio, and the other is macro-level bio).

2. Your CA is the cumulative average of all your grades. The reason you only need 24 units to get into H. Life Sci is because you have electives. You NEED to complete some electives to finish 1st year, but those electives can be anything you want... therefore you only technincally "need" 24 units to get into H. Life Sci, but you also need 30 units to finish 1st year.

killza says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 11-14-2009 at 01:03 PM   #3
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
1. No, there's generally no prerequisite for getting into the second first year bio, or chem. It might have changed, but in my first year you didn't even need to finish one in order to take the other, since they cover completely different aspects of biology (one is micro-level bio, and the other is macro-level bio).

2. Your CA is the cumulative average of all your grades. The reason you only need 24 units to get into H. Life Sci is because you have electives. You NEED to complete some electives to finish 1st year, but those electives can be anything you want... therefore you only technincally "need" 24 units to get into H. Life Sci, but you also need 30 units to finish 1st year.
thanks, but I was talking about courses like CHEM 1A03 and CHEM 1AA3. As for the CA, would CHEM 1A03 and CHEM 1AA3 be considered 2 separate courses or just 1 large one? So.. for example, you took 30 units in first year, the CA is accumulative average of 10 courses?
Old 11-14-2009 at 02:06 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

You do need to pass Chem 1A03 to take Chem 1AA3 now, if I'm not mistaken (same with Psych 1X03 and 1XX3).

Your CA is calculated based on the number of units a course is. A 3 unit course is worth half as much as a 6 unit course (ie a full year one).
Old 11-14-2009 at 02:13 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
thanks, but I was talking about courses like CHEM 1A03 and CHEM 1AA3. As for the CA, would CHEM 1A03 and CHEM 1AA3 be considered 2 separate courses or just 1 large one? So.. for example, you took 30 units in first year, the CA is accumulative average of 10 courses?
Your CA is calculated by multiplying your grade by the number of credits the course is worth, adding all those numbers up and then dividing by the total number of credits you took.

So, each course is individual in calculating your CA.

You need to pass all the prerequisites of the course in order to get into the course. So if you look at Chem 1AA3 in the undergraduate calendar, one of the prerequisites is the completion of Chem 1A03. As long as you pass you will be allowed to take the course.

killza says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 11-14-2009 at 04:09 PM   #6
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:

1. no. just pass.

2. it takes all 30 courses. the 24 units are the specific prereqs but you need 30 units to get in iirc.