MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Digital Cameras at Titles? Allan Computers & Tech 8 02-06-2010 01:01 AM
Cameras in Exam Rooms? willli Academics 50 12-18-2009 12:32 PM
Simple questions regarding CA killza First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 11-14-2009 04:09 PM
Public Digital Cameras? Allan General Discussion 4 11-11-2008 01:06 PM
digital cameras lorend General Discussion 8 01-02-2008 01:40 AM

Cheap, simple cameras?

Old 11-29-2009 at 05:56 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Cheap, simple cameras?
I'm looking to buy a camera sometime this month, but I don't want anything complicated. I just want a camera that takes nice and clean pictures, good quality/lengthy video, and that's it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2009 at 06:08 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...&catid= 22534

I have an older model of the Sony Cybershot and I really like it.

Also I happen to know this camera is on sale at Zellers until Dec 3rd for $119. The link above is to the Futureshop website, its on sale there too but I just gave the link for specs and stuff.

I'm not sure how cheap you're talking but that's a pretty good deal imo. I paid around $200 for the older model I have.

The length of videos you can take as far as I know depends on your memory stick with this camera. As far as I know I can take videos of unlimited length as long as I have the battery life to continue shooting video and the memory space to save the file. With mine I know I've taken videos up to maybe 6 minutes.

I'm not big into photography or anything and neither are my mother and sister, we just use it for family gatherings, maybe some concerts etc to take casual kinds of pictures and we find it easy to use and takes good photos for those kinds of needs.

The only feature I wish it had was more optical zoom. It only has 3x and occasionally when I want to photograph from far away I find I can't get close enough. That's the only downside to it I find so it depends how much you care about zoom.
Old 11-29-2009 at 06:27 PM   #3
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

I have an old old old Canon Powershot (3-4 years old I think), I still like it because it takes good photos for a point and shoot camera. I use a dSLR now but I still have my tiny camera if I don't want to bring my dSLR around

I suggest cameras from Nikon, Olympus or Canon...they're worth the money you spend on them. OH and read online reviews for cameras! I find them helpful...some cameras are better than others.

How much is your budget if you don't mind me asking. ^^;
Old 11-29-2009 at 06:31 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I also have a Sony Cybershot, its good enough for my purposes.

I would wait until Boxing Day though, I got mine marked down to $79.99 with a memory card thrown in.
Old 11-29-2009 at 06:33 PM   #5
marieeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I would wait until Boxing Day though, I got mine marked down to $79.99 with a memory card thrown in.
I agree, cameras are pretty pricy @[email protected] if you get yours on sale you might get a better camera cheaper
Old 11-29-2009 at 06:37 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I also have a Sony Cybershot, its good enough for my purposes.

Boxing Day is a great time to buy something like this if you don't absolutely need to have it asap or for Christmas.
Old 11-29-2009 at 08:33 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I was gonna suggest a sony cybershot before coming to this thread but see that people already did.

it's good and inexpensive. though i don;t know how to turn off the double flash.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-29-2009 at 09:03 PM   #8
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

++ on the Cybershot. My sister has this one, and it used to take better pictures than my old, $400 camera. That is, until I got a Canon G10.
Old 11-29-2009 at 10:01 PM   #9
sew12
Elite Member

Also it just occurred to me that Futureshop probably price matches so if you show them that Zellers has it for $119 they should beat that price by 10%. I'm not 100% sure they do this but most stores price match with valid proof. I've never done a price match at Futureshop but I'm quite sure Best Buy does the beat the lowest advertised price by 10% deal so you might try it there.

Just to confirm I just checked Futureshop's site and found this:

Our Lowest Price Guarantee Get it for less. Guaranteed™.
We will beat any advertised price by 10% of the difference.

3 great reasons to buy at Future Shop.
  1. 1) If you find a lower advertised price we will beat it by 10% of the difference.
    2) If you find a lower advertised price within 30 days* of your purchase we
    will beat it by 10% of the difference.
    3) If our own price is reduced within 30 days* of your purchase, bring in your
    receipt and we will refund the difference.
* 14 days for computers, laptops, monitors, printers, camcorders, digital cameras, portable DVD players, radar detectors, projectors and air conditioners. Here’s how it works.
If you are purchasing today:
  • Present us with a copy of the competitor’s current ad.
  • Our associates will verify that the item is in stock and available for
    immediate sale and delivery at the advertised price.
  • We will beat the competitor’s price by 10% of the difference.
  • If you purchase the item from futureshop.ca and there is no Future Shop in your area you can contact us at 1-800-663-2275 or by email at [email protected] hop.com
If you made your purchase in the last 30 days*:
  • Present us with a copy of the competitor’s current ad and your original invoice.
  • Our associates will verify that the item is in stock and available for
    immediate sale and delivery at the advertised price.
  • We will refund you the difference and give you an additional 10%
    of that difference.
  • If you purchase the item from futureshop.ca and there is no Future Shop in your area you can contact us at 1-800-663-2275 or by email at [email protected] hop.com
If our own price is reduced in the last 30 days*:
  • Present us with a copy of our original invoice.
  • We will refund you the difference between the purchase
    price and the current price.
* 14 days for computers, laptops, monitors, printers, camcorders, digital cameras, portable dvd players, radar detectors, projectors and air conditioners
Here are a few terms and conditions.

The advertised item must be for the same brand and model and the product must be new and factory sealed, and subject to a manufacturer’s warranty applicable in Canada.
Advertised prices must be in Canadian dollars, and will be calculated as including all charges applicable for next day delivery to your home address.
The advertised item must be sold through an authorized dealer located in Canada. The terms and conditions of “Get it for less, guaranteed™” are subject to change without notice.
Our lowest price guarantee does not apply to advertising errors or misprints, special educational prices, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, OEM products, limited or minimum quantity or limited time offers, close-outs, liquidations, clearances, financing or other special offers.
If you are not completely satisfied, please talk to our store General Manager. If you need more help call 1-800-663-2275 for further assistance.

This makes me think it might not apply to the sales going on now but I would try it anyway, it wouldn't hurt to try it and maybe if you talk to the store manager they might do it for you anyway. It never hurts to try and get the best deal possible, the worst they can do is say no.

Last edited by sew12 : 11-29-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2009 at 10:54 PM   #10
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

I have done several price matches in the past, just show a flyer to the cashier as you pay for the product, and they usual comply by matching the price and giving 10% of the difference.
Old 11-29-2009 at 11:43 PM   #11
JeffB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'm looking to buy a camera sometime this month, but I don't want anything complicated. I just want a camera that takes nice and clean pictures, good quality/lengthy video, and that's it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
I cant help you with a specific camera because I refuse to buy point & shots because they dont provide the quality I am looking for I can pose a couple questions for you to think about.

1) price range
That is the biggest decision you have to make. You can get the cheapest camera out there and they will definitely still take great photos. Point and Shots are at the point of diminishing returns. Much of the selling features of more expensive cameras come from the gimmicky features thrown in (smile shutter, touch screen, built in projector). Yes a more expensive camera will have better sensor technology in it but in most instances you will never notice unless you are printing big.

2) Size
Do you want a camera that will fit in your pants pockets, jacket pocket, bag, or do you want a Sherpa to carry it for you. Are you looking for one of the really slim cameras with the periscope lens (it doesn't protrude from the body), or does the higher zoom ranges, yet still reasonably compact size of the Fuji F70EXR or Panasonic DMC-ZS1 interest you more.

I am sorry I didn't answer your question and instead posed new ones but I think it is something worthwhile to think about.
The consensus I have gathered lately, Panasonic and Canon have been making the best P&S lately. Not to say that the other companies aren't good.

Lastly I will give you what I would buy. Panasonic LX-3 not cheap at all but provides great quality and control.
Old 11-30-2009 at 01:28 AM   #12
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

you could do research and get it online from the states for cheaper since the dolalr is up.

you can wait until boxing day for a better deal.

or you could just get one now.

Try looking around first, maybe hit up an actual camera store such as henrys where the camera's is their profession. I disliek futureshop because they are too pushy and half of the time they dont even know much about the unit it self.

I like using canon products. Try taking a look at some of their units.
Old 11-30-2009 at 09:59 AM   #13
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WekSos View Post

Try looking around first, maybe hit up an actual camera store such as henrys where the camera's is their profession. I disliek futureshop because they are too pushy and half of the time they dont even know much about the unit it self.
I agree that they are pushy at Futureshop but if you make it clear that you're not interested in having them hover over you and that you know what you want/are looking for and will find them when it comes time to make the purchase they will generally leave you alone after that.

I prefer Futureshop to Best Buy b/c they are on commission and therefore a lot more helpful if you need it. I'll be damned if I can ever find a sales person to help me in BB but at FS you can have like 10 at your beckon call.

So I just do my research before going into the store and go to the section I want and make it obvious that I'm not looking for their help or to get them to upsell me crap I don't need. If they're smart they will take the hint and not bother you b/c they have gathered that you have a knowledge about the product you're looking at their presence will annoy and deter you more so than help you.
Old 11-30-2009 at 11:50 AM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I agree that they are pushy at Futureshop but if you make it clear that you're not interested in having them hover over you and that you know what you want/are looking for and will find them when it comes time to make the purchase they will generally leave you alone after that.

I prefer Futureshop to Best Buy b/c they are on commission and therefore a lot more helpful if you need it. I'll be damned if I can ever find a sales person to help me in BB but at FS you can have like 10 at your beckon call.

So I just do my research before going into the store and go to the section I want and make it obvious that I'm not looking for their help or to get them to upsell me crap I don't need. If they're smart they will take the hint and not bother you b/c they have gathered that you have a knowledge about the product you're looking at their presence will annoy and deter you more so than help you.
I agree, it's crappy on both sides. At Futureshop they bug you like there's no tomorrow, but they are there when you need help. At BestBuy they leave you alone, but you can never find anyone.
I usually go with my brother. They don't seem to bother me when I'm with an older guy? It's strange.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys! I was thinking about a Cybershot too. I'm also looking into this camera because it's so cheap. I haven't been able to find ANY reviews online though. I'm not sure why.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10129634&catid=
Old 11-30-2009 at 05:05 PM   #15
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post

yup, like with today's technology, its easy to research what you want to buy.

Do research, have a few specific models in mind. Buy it from the store. Make sure to do research and have an idea of how it performs or the functiosn you might want. Like you would never go to a dealership and get the salesman talk you into buying anycar, you nee dto know what you want, your price range, etc etc.