Public Digital Cameras? Allan General Discussion 4 11-11-2008 01:06 PM

digital cameras

Old 12-25-2007 at 03:18 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

digital cameras
i was just wondering if anyone knows a lot about battery life for digital cameras?

right now i'm using normal alkaline AA for my camera, and apparently i can use either lithum batteries or NiMH rechargable batteries.

Which gives me the most usage for the least amount of money?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-28-2007 at 01:23 AM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

NiMH batteries last a long time. I highly recommend you purchase:

Engergizer 2500 mAh rechargable batteries

You can get them at Walmart, 4 batteries, with a recharger (a special recharger that charges these special type of batteries). The batteries charge up super fast and last supperrrr long (a re-engineered formula).

I'll warn you tho... they aren't cheap. I think 4 batteries is like $15, and then the recharger + batteries is like $40-50. But the best price is at walmart and it's totally worth the price. Super fast charging, lasts super long (4x longer than AA)... longer than buying AA's all the time, and you can recharge so they'll last forever.

http://www.energizer.com/products/hi...-products.aspx
Old 12-28-2007 at 02:12 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I actually bought a charger when I was braving the crowds on Boxing Day, but it was specifically for Canon (I have a Canon Powershot A710). However it was on sale for $80.

Looks like I'm taking those back if I can get it for seemingly better and for half the price at Walmart.

The only thing my dad said could not work in my favour is the amount of voltage available from the rechargable batteries: it's only 1.2V, while other AA are 1.5V. Do you know anything about this?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-28-2007 at 10:56 AM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Well I have a high powered Canon DSLR and I use these rechargable mAh batteries and they work just fine. Maybe the voltage issue is with regular rechargable batteries (not the nimh ones)
Old 12-28-2007 at 01:40 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Ok, sounds good!

To Walmart I go...at some point...

Old 12-30-2007 at 02:02 AM   #6
Locke

Liked: 0 Times

i actually had the same problem. i used to have a piece of shit sony camera, and the batteries died a lot. i used rechargable batteries before the stupid camera broke completely.
Old 01-01-2008 at 10:20 PM   #7
ankitR

Liked: 0 Times

hello

having gone through my fair share of batteries, I would say that in terms of high capacity disposable batteries, your choices do come down to Lithium or alkaline; Lithium batteries are recognized more for their longer storage life, as they do not loose charge as easily as alkalines. So Lithium batteries would be ideal for high-drain devices => such as an old flashlight or a smoke detector.

There then are mainly two types of rechargeable batteries, NiCad and NiMH; NiMH is generally preferred as it offers some more power (higher mAh rather than voltage though) and is free from the memory effect of rechargeables (e.g. if you recharge a NiCad when it has 1% battery life instead of 0%, the battery will have a 99% capacity at the next charge cycle). Most generic rechargeables I have seen are in the voltage range of 1.2 to 1.4V, but as long as they have the capacity, they are by far the most economical. All rechargeables loose charge very rapidly - up to 10% a day.

I hope that was helpful

happy new year!
Old 01-01-2008 at 10:34 PM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Informational post Ankit! Ya, I would definitely recommend the rechargeable NiMH. No more having to run to the store to buy disposables ever again!
Old 01-02-2008 at 01:40 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Awesome Ankit, thanks!

But...Ikea sells disposible batteries (10) for like $2.

I love Ikea...