MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hi i have a simple mac id question harman911 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-30-2010 06:47 PM
Registrar Clarification dmzz Academics 5 02-27-2010 11:27 PM
Its simple, really. Valentine's Day Mr. Pink General Discussion 3 02-14-2010 09:37 PM
Cheap, simple cameras? Kathy2 General Discussion 17 12-01-2009 02:15 PM
Simple questions regarding CA killza First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 11-14-2009 04:09 PM

Simple strike clarification

Old 01-12-2011 at 12:01 PM   #16
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnian View Post
These workers are making just a little above minimum wage. They are just as important as the neuroscience professor. These people are serving us our FOOD. That stuff has to be hygienic. Every worker (cleaner, food handler, professor) is important in the grand scheme of things, especially in a university setting.
The thing is that it takes much less training and certification to become a food server than it does to become a neuroscience professor.

Assuming a wage decrease and both leave their jobs, I'm pretty sure it'll be a lot easier to find someone to fill in for the former role than it would for the latter.

alh24 likes this.
Old 01-12-2011 at 12:30 PM   #17
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Wouldn't it be harsh if Mac suddenly posts job openings for the strikers' replacement? I know it is, but it is also a likelihood unless the university really wants to save face.
Old 01-12-2011 at 12:48 PM   #18
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by person33 View Post
anybody know if they have plans to back to the negotiating table or are they just not talking right now
From the Daily News @ mcmaster.ca

Jan. 12 - 1:15 p.m. - The provincial conciliator has called the University and SEIU Local 2 back to the bargaining table. The parties will return to the table Thursday morning.
Old 01-12-2011 at 01:00 PM   #19
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

I'am sorry but this has to be said.

Those high end paid people at mcmaster actually worked for their job. More than likely got a very good education and spent time working towards their better job

The over glorified fast food line cooks (notice how i didn't say chef like they love putting on their jacketsn) at mcmaster get paid very well for the amount of skills required at their job.

Secondly these higher payed workers tend to be high end administrative staff and if something goes wrong it looks bad on them (chance of termination) or loss of investment in the university.

If one of the cooks gives you a very runny omelet it is not so bad.

bcars, kimberly_ann like this.
Old 01-12-2011 at 01:20 PM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Latest news : http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=7130
Hopefully they reach something tomorrow =/
Old 01-12-2011 at 01:43 PM   #21
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post

Those high end paid people at mcmaster actually worked for their job. More than likely got a very good education and spent time working towards their better job

The over glorified fast food line cooks (notice how i didn't say chef like they love putting on their jacketsn) at mcmaster get paid very well for the amount of skills required at their job.

Secondly these higher payed workers tend to be high end administrative staff and if something goes wrong it looks bad on them (chance of termination) or loss of investment in the university.

If one of the cooks gives you a very runny omelet it is not so bad.
I don't think I've ever had any bad service from any foody stuff on campus at all. There's the odd donut-supply-lacking, occassionally, but other than that, everything has been great. Has anyone ever had a bad hospitality-related experience?

Fast food servers, on the other hand.... :S

I don't quite know what you mean about the 'very good education' part though, no offense... for cooks I can understand, but the other people?
Old 01-12-2011 at 01:43 PM   #22
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Its just awful that we cant seem to go a year without a strike..

I know that creating the inconvenience is part of getting heard and pretty much implied with striking , but it just sucks that the students are so inconvenienced (delays getting to campus, delays getting into campus once here, lack of food on campus, late profs bc of the strike,late ourselves...) when we really cant do all that much to change the situation

in comparison to the people who can actually do something ( the people at the top, or whoever is involved in these contracts) who dont experience the same levels of inconvenience( bc at the end of the day their education is done, this is just another day at work with an obstacle- theyre not losing out on education quality) - if anything they perhaps just experience some extra pressure to fix everything...

Not sure if that made sense but I tried to explain my point..

anon491 likes this.
Old 01-12-2011 at 02:00 PM   #23
kinetochore

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnian View Post
Income Inequality at McMaster University
by Norman M. Kearney
8 January 2011

The 883 best-paid employees, therefore, make on average 2.6 times as much as 89% of all employees at McMaster University, consuming 25% of the compensation budget and costing each student almost three times the cost per employee for other workers.

Yup. When employees can do things that few others in the world can (i.e. lead world research in science), they are paid exorbitantly more than employees that do things that EVERYONE else in the world can (i.e. make sandwiches). As it should be. You`re dumb.
Old 01-12-2011 at 02:07 PM   #24
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post

They're not looking for a wage increase. They're looking for job security.

I also find it kind of sad how people keep putting down those working in the food service industry. Maybe they're not engineers and don't have a university degree, but I still think they're entitled to job security. I'll be the first person in my family to graduate from university, and that's not because my other family members didn't "actually work for their job." They worked really hard, but for financial, and in my father's case, due to a really bad car accident, they had to drop out.
Old 01-12-2011 at 02:16 PM   #25
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post

I also find it kind of sad how people keep putting down those working in the food service industry. Maybe they're not engineers and don't have a university degree, but I still think they're entitled to job security. I'll be the first person in my family to graduate from university, and that's not because my other family members didn't "actually work for their job." They worked really hard, but for financial, and in my father's case, due to a really bad car accident, they had to drop out.
I wasn't putting them down. I am just arguing against the complaints about the 833 staff members paid quite better.

I understand they are looking for job security, but my point was that the university is a business and is not going to give them exactly that.

However, you're right to some degree that some people are not being considerate.
Old 01-12-2011 at 02:17 PM   #26
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSummer View Post

Don't bother with the 'tards, one day they will wake up in a cubicle or in a small office covered with papers and wonder if being less arrogant would have benefited them in the end.

I love how everyone doing an undergraduate degree at McMaster seems to think they'll be making more than some of the people they like to put down so often for having less glamorous jobs than the one they see themselves having. Reality has a fun way of biting back in these cases.

A few letters after your name and a $50,000+ investment into a piece of paper is not nearly as effective as true inspiration, intelligence and diligence in a person willing to go the extra mile... just because the "burger flippers" don't have all of your ambition that doesn't make them less human or deserving of respect.

Last edited by Kendoon : 01-12-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Old 01-12-2011 at 03:30 PM   #27
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Let's pull a Quebec, and go on strike ourselves.
Old 01-12-2011 at 03:35 PM   #28
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Well, I wonder who should get less wages. Professors who teach Neuroscience or a lady with not college degree that servers Pizza at the student center?
There are 18,000 parking lot attendants in the U.S. with college degrees. There are also 5,000 janitors with a PhD.

No amount of education will ever guarantee you a job. When you enter the real world where jobs are limited, begin a family, and have financial obligations, you aren't able to pick and chose cozy jobs. Also many of these people came from an age where post-secondary education was not as important as it is now. They chose a job at McMaster because it provided them a decent income to raise their families, and it also guaranteed them job-security.

When your young with no or little obligations, it's easy to just leave and get a new job. But these people remained at McMaster because they had a job that met their requirements. Some have been here for 20 years. They also have families that depend on them. It would be extremely difficult for them to just leave and find another job. We are going through a recession and most employers prefer to hire young people not middle aged employees.

Edit: Thought this number would be more relevant. Over 317,000 waiters and waitresses have college degrees (over 8,000 of them have doctoral or professional degrees), along with over 80,000 bartenders.

Last edited by collinbf : 01-12-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2011 at 03:43 PM   #29
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

People are saying that those who serve food should suck it up and accept poor pay. But imagine once jobs become part time and min wage who will be serving you food. Dirty trashy looking people, like the ones you see in a downtown tim hortons I don't know about you but I would rather have an older lady who looks like shes been working there for 20 years. Sometimes the people they have serving at Pizza Pizza turn me off getting pizza. But Im graduating in four months, so i don't even care anymore)))
Old 01-12-2011 at 05:30 PM   #30
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Wouldn't it be harsh if Mac suddenly posts job openings for the strikers' replacement? I know it is, but it is also a likelihood unless the university really wants to save face.
Honestly, I'm not even sure if Mac is legally allowed to do that- there are ridiculous rules in place to protect unions. However, there would be just as many people who would support Mac in that decision as people who would protest it.

The way Reagan handled that strike is one of the things that made him so popular (as well as making him wildly unpopular with others).

Last edited by Marlowe : 01-12-2011 at 07:44 PM.

justinsftw says thanks to Marlowe for this post.