MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chance me for life sci.....I know I know, but just do it:) lifesciman1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 04-18-2011 09:45 PM
Chance of being reinstated? john113267 Academics 1 03-15-2011 12:07 PM
Why wont SOLAR let me drop a course? Kathy2 Academics 4 10-19-2010 05:41 PM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
Still have a chance to be Maroon! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-19-2007 09:19 PM

since its a lottery, wouldnt that mean what we choose theres a chance we wont get

Old 05-23-2011 at 12:04 AM   #1

Liked: 0 Times

since its a lottery, wouldnt that mean what we choose theres a chance we wont get
and is there a high chance we will get our first choice? and does the committee review what we choose?
Old 05-23-2011 at 12:08 AM   #2
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737300173 View Post
and is there a high chance we will get our first choice? and does the committee review what we choose?
I'm not sure about the second question.

If you pick a double room without a washroom, there's a pretty good chance because there are a lot of those. But if you pick something that's in relatively high demand (i.e., single with washroom), it's really up to the lottery. If you're picked later than most people, there's a slim chance you'll get into something like that, since it's the first choice of many people.
Old 05-23-2011 at 12:09 AM   #3
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

I don't know what the chances are statistically, I know people who ended up with their last choice and some with their first.
and not sure about a committee, it's all done by a computer
Old 05-23-2011 at 01:24 AM   #4
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

I'd say you're worrying a bit too much. Most people don't get their first choice and it doesn't matter at all. It mostly depends (for me it did) the location (but most residences are within the same area), who your roommate/s are (since you will most likely spend a lot of time with him/her) and maybe your neighbours if they're loud or not.

I think once you fill out that questionnaire it's all up to the computer from there. And most times it does work out. I ended up with a super quiet roommate but we got along just fine despite my party moods at time. You learn to compromise a bit and most roommates go on to be friends for a long time after(big generalization there).

Bottom line: It's who you live with. If by chance issues arise the CA will be more than willing to help ya. Relax and enjoy the summer before uni starts. And gear up for Frosh week, It's amazing

BlueWave likes this.
Old 05-23-2011 at 10:22 AM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Who your roommates end up being definitely make a bigger impact than where you'll end up living.
If your roommate(s) are great (like mine were), then it really doesnt make a huge difference whether you get your first choice or second choice. Whereas if you hate your roommates, then you'll likely want a single room so you can lock yourself away.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 05-23-2011 at 09:55 PM   #6

Liked: 0 Times

when will we find out who is our roommate? do we have to wait till the deadline?
Old 05-23-2011 at 10:05 PM   #7
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

I think you'll find out who your roommates are when you also know what residence and room you'll be in. There should be some kind of notification by email or just check the residence portal every so often.

And by deadline I'm assuming the one where you have to finish the application by. If that's the case, its way after that, maybe july? August at the latest, of course.
Old 05-23-2011 at 10:08 PM   #8
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737300173 View Post
when will we find out who is our roommate? do we have to wait till the deadline?
I'm pretty sure your roommate's name and e-mail address (if they chose to make it available to you) is in the exact same page as your room assignment.