MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
win win situation runner108 General Discussion 2 09-10-2010 09:47 AM
OSAP situation gongshow Academics 1 08-09-2010 12:57 PM
reinstatement situation poti Academics 5 07-14-2010 07:28 PM
are they really in a bad situation? BinMonitored Academics 4 05-30-2010 02:26 PM

A situation...!

Old 04-22-2011 at 03:59 PM   #31
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
My long distance is Canada to England. :( Try that on for size

Wow so far!!
I dont mean this in a rude way, just curious- but isnt that unrealistic somewhat? Like eventually someone will have to make a very big change if you want to be together for example get married or even just move in together - how do you choose who has to uproot etc?... and HOW did you meet!?
Old 04-22-2011 at 04:41 PM   #32
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties13 View Post
its DISTANCE, smart one
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a...ow-fonder.html

shut up
Old 04-22-2011 at 04:42 PM   #33
AlexBatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Not always. My cousin was dating a dude for half a year. Went to China on vacation for a month and a half, broke up with him a month in. She told me she just thought of him and missed him less and less.

"Absence diminishes minor passions and inflames great ones, as the wind douses a candle and fans a flame." —Francois de La Rochefoucauld.

half a year in terms of a relationship is extremely minute. had it been a year and that happened, i would say you may have a point - so until then i disagree.
Old 04-22-2011 at 04:44 PM   #34
AlexBatt

early in relationships, passion is at its peak. committment develops with as time passes by, and with it, intimacy. so the longer the relationship (or the further away from the strict vices of passion and lust), i would argue one is able to deal with the challengs of distance a lot easier
Old 04-22-2011 at 04:58 PM   #35
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakovski View Post
Wow so far!!
I dont mean this in a rude way, just curious- but isnt that unrealistic somewhat? Like eventually someone will have to make a very big change if you want to be together for example get married or even just move in together - how do you choose who has to uproot etc?... and HOW did you meet!?
He's going to move here. Immigration is a gaigantic pain in the ass so it's a bit difficult, so if that doesn't work, I have a better chance of immigrating there. I lived there with him over the summer to see how I liked it and we decided Canada was perferable, but I liked it there too. We're both flexible lol.

And he has a brother living in Canada (oddly also moved here for love after he met his wife while he was stationed here) and was visiting him and we met then.

And it's not rude it's fine I would say the same thing if I weren't in this situation myself

AlexBatt, Rock007 like this.
Old 04-23-2011 at 10:20 PM   #36
Rock007

Liked: 0 Times

Crazyfree, how long have you guys being doing it for?
Old 04-23-2011 at 11:50 PM   #37
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
early in relationships, passion is at its peak. committment develops with as time passes by, and with it, intimacy. so the longer the relationship (or the further away from the strict vices of passion and lust), i would argue one is able to deal with the challengs of distance a lot easier
I agree, this is really well said. I agree with your post above as well. 6 months in terms of relationships (outside of elementary school, that is) isn't very long. I can't imagine committing to a long distance relationship with someone I have only been involved with for 6 months.
Old 04-29-2011 at 08:24 AM   #38
patricj

Liked: 0 Times

if you really like him it shouldn't even be a choice
Old 04-29-2011 at 11:05 AM   #39
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
half a year in terms of a relationship is extremely minute. had it been a year and that happened, i would say you may have a point - so until then i disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I agree, this is really well said. I agree with your post above as well. 6 months in terms of relationships (outside of elementary school, that is) isn't very long. I can't imagine committing to a long distance relationship with someone I have only been involved with for 6 months.
Good job responding to a post that I did not make.

TRANSLATION IN SIMPLER WORDS:
Absence does NOT always "make the heart grow fonder," when the initial fondness or whatever isn't much to begin with. HENCE, "absence diminishes minor passions (HINT HINT 6 MONTHS IS NOT MUCH OF A RELATIONSHIP) and inflames great ones."

And here, let me bold it for you.

Quote:
Not always. My cousin was dating a dude for half a year. Went to China on vacation for a month and a half, broke up with him a month in. She told me she just thought of him and missed him less and less.
Also, [email protected] and lust being "vices."

TL;DR: Quote was in response to the first quote "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Read before you post.

Last edited by Amaryll : 04-29-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2011 at 01:10 PM   #40
AlexBatt

Quote:
Good job responding to a post that I did not make.

TRANSLATION IN SIMPLER WORDS:
Absence does NOT always "make the heart grow fonder," when the initial fondness or whatever isn't much to begin with. HENCE, "absence diminishes minor passions (HINT HINT 6 MONTHS IS NOT MUCH OF A RELATIONSHIP) and inflames great ones."

And here, let me bold it for you.

Also, [email protected] and lust being "vices."

TL;DR: Quote was in response to the first quote "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Read before you post.
[email protected] simpler explanation being completely different from what you said.
I neglected your quote, which really does some everything up nicely though.

additionally, lust and heightened passion at the beginning of a relationship is opposite from a long term committed and intimate relationship. so [email protected]
Old 04-29-2011 at 02:11 PM   #41
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
[email protected] simpler explanation being completely different from what you said.
I neglected your quote, which really does some everything up nicely though.

additionally, lust and heightened passion at the beginning of a relationship is opposite from a long term committed and intimate relationship. so [email protected]
You stated that lust and passion are vices. So what, two people hooking up for a quick ****, no strings attached, are acting on vices?

Also, my explanation was mostly portions of my previous post with bits interjected and emphasized for your benefit. Also, my original post was in response to the quote, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder," which was evident in my post.

I'll start responding to your posts again after you learn to read. G'day.
Old 04-29-2011 at 02:27 PM   #42
AlexBatt

Quote:
You stated that lust and passion are vices. So what, two people hooking up for a quick ****, no strings attached, are acting on vices?

Also, my explanation was mostly portions of my previous post with bits interjected and emphasized for your benefit. Also, my original post was in response to the quote, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder," which was evident in my post.

I'll start responding to your posts again after you learn to read. G'day.
lol say word i dont know how to read....

anywho.. two people who are looking to hook up, and people who want to start a relationship are different things. clearly you havent grasped what has been said.

if i were to be in the first stages of a relationship - me, like many other people around with world, would be smitten - initially. i for one have seen so many people who begin a relationship and brag about it to the world, which i would identify as being passion.

now this heightened passion does not last, which i could argue is the reason for many pitfalls in relationships.

so my point once more - when one is able to escape the VICES of passion and lust (because that is where many relationships begin) then they are able to enter a more committed relationship