MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attention Off-Campus Students: Is your internet speed slow? Juicebox General Discussion 27 10-22-2011 01:16 AM
Slow teksavvy eric_3490 General Discussion 10 01-14-2011 09:58 AM
Terribly slow internet healthsci1 Computers & Tech 37 03-28-2010 04:12 PM
ELM - Slow and lags lux Academics 90 09-15-2009 07:50 AM
Slow Internet? J-Met General Discussion 6 01-24-2009 10:55 AM

slow computer/internet

Old 11-26-2011 at 10:48 AM   #1
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

slow computer/internet
k so i have a multi layered question here

first
i noticed that chrome uses up substantially more memory than internet explorer or fire fox. i went on youtube and played a video on chrome and it used 157000k memory, i did the same thing fro explorer and it only used like 70000k mem....
why does chrome take up soo much memory? and this is only with one video playing

second
my internet, and computer in general, get really slow sometimes and its rather annoying, i was wondering if there are any programs out there that would speed it up or clean up my comp and get rid of any background things that make it slow?

thanks
Old 11-26-2011 at 11:00 AM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Try CCleaner. It will empty all your caches that are probably making your computer slow. Also, if you're the kind of person who has more toolbars in your web browser than window space, consider uninstalling them.

Chevalier says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 11-26-2011 at 11:16 AM   #3
Chevalier
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Try CCleaner. It will empty all your caches that are probably making your computer slow. Also, if you're the kind of person who has more toolbars in your web browser than window space, consider uninstalling them.
can u link me a good version, i see a bunch of diff sites that give it but im not sure of which are safe

thanks
Old 11-26-2011 at 11:17 AM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Yes, CCleaner is a must have program for all computers imho. Definitely download and install that, then run the cleaner and registry cleaner tools. I always run both at least every other day.

It also has a tool to prevent programs from running upon startup. So only select the minimal amount of programs to start when you boot your computer on.

Edit: Just saw above here -> http://download.piriform.com /ccsetup312.exe

Chevalier says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 11-26-2011 at 11:27 AM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Run CCleaner (clean the temp files and clean up the registry) & run JKDefrag.
Old 11-26-2011 at 11:32 AM   #6
Chevalier
Elite Member

hey so could u advise me on what i should select under the windows explorer tab and the systems tab... right now it has everything sleected..recent documents, run, thumbnail, climpboard, etc.etc. is there something i should deselect.... i ask cus when i click clean it says the process will permanantly delete some things.. so yea?
Old 11-26-2011 at 12:25 PM   #7
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
this .
Old 11-26-2011 at 02:51 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
hey so could u advise me on what i should select under the windows explorer tab and the systems tab... right now it has everything sleected..recent documents, run, thumbnail, climpboard, etc.etc. is there something i should deselect.... i ask cus when i click clean it says the process will permanantly delete some things.. so yea?
Sent you a PM.
Old 11-26-2011 at 03:17 PM   #9
vp15

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Sent you a PM.
Hey can you put what you wrote to him on the forum please just so that other people with similar problems can also try this solution. Thank you.
Old 11-26-2011 at 03:19 PM   #10
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
Hey can you put what you wrote to him on the forum please just so that other people with similar problems can also try this solution. Thank you.
Just sent him a PM asking him that I'm willing to look into his situation personally and show him how to keep his laptop up and running in tip-top shape.
Old 11-26-2011 at 06:19 PM   #11
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

ccleaner is the ultimate solution but here are two other things:

1) chrome should have roughly the same RAM efficiency as firefox. Also you said it was mainly a hog during youtube. This is NOT your browser, but the flash plugin for your browser so I would re-install that. Flash is hog in general though and can consume near 100% cpu and a huge portion of RAM. (which is why most developers are going html)

2) If your internet is slow its most likely temp files BUT it could also be your power settings. Windows can sometimes be stupid and defaults your wireless card to "Maximum Power Saving" even when plugged in. This will make internet very slow.

You can check this by (windows 7)
1) typing "power options" into the search bar (after hitting start) then click on it
2) beside your selected plan choose "change plan settings"
3) then "change advanced settings"
4) scroll to "wireless adapter settings"
5) make sure it says "maximum performance" under "power saving mode"
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-27-2011 at 11:09 PM   #12
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

You really shouldn't have to run CCleaner more than once on any modern (Windows 7) computer.

Anyway, more details about your situation would help. What are you computer's specs, what operating system, is your computer slow in general or is just your browser slow, what antivirus are you using, etc