MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G20 Protest in Toronto follows Sunday Bobby66 General Discussion 6 06-28-2010 12:02 AM
Hamilton to Toronto on a Sunday? Flag General Discussion 19 11-19-2009 11:03 PM
Easter Sunday Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-23-2008 05:56 PM

Slutwalk Toronto on Sunday April 3rd!

Old 03-30-2011 at 07:50 PM   #16
amyf

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman. View Post
Dressing slutty shouldn't get you raped just like wearing a meat suit during a lion demonstration at the zoo shouldn't get you eaten, though you're obviously increasing your chances.

With that being said I could never put the blame of sexual assault on the victim, that's just absurd.

Either way this seems like a colossal waste of money for the organizers and a huge overreaction for a misguided comment.
Men are not animals. We should expect more - continuing to make the comparison is implicitly excusing their behavior by implying they can't help it.

And this is not a waste. This misguided comment is a very common attitude in our culture, and the police force participating in blaming the victims they are supposed to protect is unacceptable.

Last edited by amyf : 03-30-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Old 03-30-2011 at 08:00 PM   #17
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyf View Post
I would not.
But sharks are predatory beings incapable of feeling sympathy for their prey. I expect more of human beings, and I think everyone should.
I'd like to point out that everyone is arguing that the typical rapist that jumps out of dark alleys is a rational, sane, stable human being, and that his sane and capable logic is to blame.......

That's the ONLY point I am making on this whole topic because shit's gonna get real on here.

Last edited by mike_302 : 03-30-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:14 PM   #18
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

PHLN, I think I know where you're going with this;

Old 03-30-2011
andrew22
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:20 PM   #19
amyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I'd like to point out that everyone is arguing that the typical rapist that jumps out of dark alleys is a rational, sane, stable human being, and that his sane and capable logic is to blame.......

That's the ONLY point I am making on this whole topic because shit's gonna get real on here.
The typical rapist doesn't jump out of dark allies. 77%-90% of victims know their attacker (depending which study you trust).
About 10% of men have committed a sexual assault or rape. (http://www.sexualassault.arm y.mil/...FACT_SHEET.pdf)
The idea that there are just a few crazies who jump out of allies and rape women is flawed.

Kathy2, Revolution1 all say thanks to amyf for this post.

Revolution1 likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:20 PM   #20
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Related to the semi-related stuff. I find this hilarious.

As an aside...I fit the qualifications for a slut according to this, so I'm deff not looking down on sluts. ..before anyone goes all feminist on me..

Last edited by crazyfree : 03-30-2011 at 08:25 PM.

andrew22, Eternal Fire like this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:22 PM   #21
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
The typical rapist doesn't jump out of dark allies. 77%-90% of victims know their attacker (depending which study you trust).
About 10% of men have committed a sexual assault or rape. (http://www.sexualassault.arm y.mil/...FACT_SHEET.pdf)
The idea that there are just a few crazies who jump out of allies and rape women is flawed.
Old 03-30-2011 at 08:40 PM   #22
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
PHLN, I think I know where you're going with this;

Old 03-30-2011
PHLN
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:00 PM   #23
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

While I don't believe that rape victims, male or female, should ever be blamed for what happened to them, one should never just toss precautions to the wind.

Last edited by Amaryll : 03-30-2011 at 09:04 PM.

alh24, amyf, justinsftw like this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:10 PM   #24
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

Quote:
I would not.
But sharks are predatory beings incapable of feeling sympathy for their prey. I expect more of human beings, and I think everyone should.
psychopaths are incapable of feeling sympathy...or emotions in general...
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:15 PM  
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Last edited by Toast : 03-30-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:15 PM   #25
amyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
This is a separate branch of raping that goes under false accusation. Note the significant of such claim, that victims know their suppose "attacker".

It make no logical sense on why the attacker would choose a victim that can oust them.

If one were to scrutinize the study further, one would find that most allege rape cases involved alcohol and the phenomenon of misleading or deceptive conduct.
Statements such as this one perpetuate rape culture:

"Rape culture is pervasive insistence that false reports are common, although they are less common (1.6%) than false reports of auto theft (2.6%). Rape culture is pervasive claims that women make rape accusations willy-nilly, when 61% of rapes remain unreported."

Why would a man risk attacking a woman who could identify him? 61% of women don't report, and the vast majority (about 85%) of reported rapes don't result in conviction. Our culture makes it appallingly easy to get away with rape.

Saying that all acquaintance- and date-rapes must be false accusations is ridiculous.

Amaryll says thanks to amyf for this post.

Amaryll likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:22 PM   #26
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Agree? Disagree? Who is wearing the T-shirt?
Where did that second quote come from ("if God does not want women to be raped...")? And did you seriously just try to start a discussion about agreeing or disagreeing with it? That is, quite honestly, one of the most ****ed up things I've heard.

Last edited by alh24 : 03-30-2011 at 09:36 PM.

amyf, Revolution1 like this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 09:23 PM   #27
amyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
My point was that women who willingly partake in these activities increase the risk of being raped, just as tanning increases our chances of getting cancer. You read too much into issues of inevitability, which has nothing to do what I was trying to get across.

I love how people always structure their arguments with blanket morality statements like, "Women should be able to drink and go to parties just like men do, without being at risk of someone raping". Obviously I'm not going to disagree with you. The reality, however, is that rape does occur, whether you think it should or not.

If you do not want to be raped, it is your responsibility to take appropriate precautions. I'm not talking about staying home- go party if you want, but think twice about getting so drunk you have no idea where you are or who you're with, or about sleeping with a new person each night, or about prostituting yourself. I am not characterizing all women, I simply responded to your phrasing of "without exception" by pointing out that some women have a responsibility to take these precautions. Should they have this responsibility? Of course not. But that is the world we live in.
I realize what point you were attempting to make, I was simply pointing out that the comparison you used to support said point was flawed. Rape is not comparable to skin cancer.

I do agree that rape is a reality in the world we live in. I just don't think we should accept it. I think we need to change our attitudes so that rape is less accepted, so that hopefully it will become less common and appropriately punished.

"If you do not want to be raped, it is your responsibility to take appropriate precautions."
Rape is one of the only crimes where people think that it is the victim's responsibility to prevent the crime. Just because many women do take precautions in response to living in a rape culture, it does not mean it is their responsibility. Why is placing the responsibility on the victim only acceptable when the crime is rape?
http://thegloss.com/culture/what-hap...her-than-rape/

Last edited by amyf : 03-30-2011 at 09:26 PM.

jamescw1234 likes this.