The Smoking Thread Freija General Discussion 24 10-25-2010 10:09 PM
cutlerly in dorm??? fusionorchid Residence & Housing 8 08-24-2010 11:01 PM

Smoking up in your Dorm

Old 07-17-2011 at 06:53 PM   #16
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintos View Post
Omg guys guess what. This one guy, smoked pot, then died.

Long story short don't smoke pot. It's literally the most useless thing anyone can do. If you want a high... go running, it doesn't kill lung or brain cells and you can't get arrested and a mark on your record which will f*** up your entire life.

Im pretty sure we can't open our windows farther than 4" because of dumbsh***that smoke pot then think they can fly. Spoiler, it doesn't end well.

Oh, and PS with the residence handbook you get it literally says you WILL get kicked out of McMaster University if they catch you with illegal substances... Which weed DOES fall under. And good luck getting into any other university with that on your transcript... MAYBE Guelph or Laurier, but like is practically over by then anyways.
Can't tell if you're serious but it reminded me of :

I wouldn't risk smoking in the dorm room, find somewhere safer to do your business.
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:55 PM   #17
Jo Wai

Liked: 0 Times

Some ppl in my res decided to do just that and as a result, the fire alarm went off and everyone had to evacuate the building. This was at night in winter and everyone had to go outside for two hours (which sucked). Many of us had tests in the morning so let's just say that nobody was pleased with those who couldn't just go smoke outside.
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:55 PM   #18
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisoBill View Post
I'd like to know your sources for these pieces of information...
The first line was a joke relax, and I guarantee I can find SOMEONE who has smoked pot then died... use your "engineering" brain.

Pot itself doesn't kill brain cells, but it will prevent you from forming new memories... the drugs they use to make it grow fast and prevent bugs from attacking it WILL kill brain cells. When they want to make as much as possible as quickly as possible they will not give a shit about what they are spraying on it.

And running does not kill brain cells... and helps lung cells if anything. If you say that pot doesn't hurt your lung cells... sorry but you will not last long in engineering.

Again they never said what the student was doing when he jumped to his death... but its a pretty good guess.

Here's my "sources" took two seconds of google Scholarto find it. http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/275/7/521.short

Even talks about college students.

Last edited by Sintos : 07-17-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2011 at 06:57 PM   #19
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKG5 View Post
How common is smoking marijuana with a friend or two (literally one or two other people) in your dorm? Are people frequently caught or is it a rarity when compared to the amount of people that partake? I don't mind a good sesh every once in a while but I'm going to refrain if I know that the chances are very high that I will be caught. Thanks for any help!
lol @ first year n00bs

Old 07-17-2011 at 07:11 PM   #20
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisoBill View Post
Huh... I've always read that as "her bullshit", like "her B.S.". Needless to say, I always thought the user was a girl... weird
I get that often (the first part).
Old 07-17-2011 at 07:20 PM   #21
Mohit
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

"marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke."

Still wanna smoke up bro?

For people that are interested:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

Biochem47 says thanks to Mohit for this post.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 07-17-2011 at 07:25 PM   #22
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohit View Post
"marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke."

Still wanna smoke up bro?

For people that are interested:

http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html
It may contain more carcinogens but last time I checked there isn't anyone that smokes a pack of joints a day. Just by volume alone, you're doing more damage smoking tobacco (assuming you smoke an average amount of cigarettes per day).

Marijuana is also relatively safe when compared to alcohol (correct me if I'm wrong there but everything I've seen seems to agree with that statement) so I don't see a problem with smoking weed.

Old 07-17-2011 at 07:28 PM   #23
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Marijuana shouldn't be one of your priorities for first year.. but maybe that's just me -_-.

Old 07-17-2011 at 07:49 PM   #24
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Pro-tip from someone who had a pot smoking room mate: that stuff smells. Your CAs can and will smell it from the hallway and you will get a major infraction on your rez record. Enough of those get you kicked out of rez, no refunds. (pot isn't enough to get you kicked out of school though) Some CAs might even call the campus cops on you and you are old enough that it sticks on your permanent record. It's really not worth it.

It might also set off a fire alarm from the smoke unless you tamper with the fire alarm, but if you are caught with a tampered fire alarm they make a HUGE deal about that. That's a serious fine. I think my roomie got over $500 for it. And if it does set off the alarm, the fire department has to find the source of what set off the alarm and they will find your room and they will report you to the proper authorities for marijuana use.

TL;DR Don't do it. You almost certainly will be caught, and depending on how strict your CAs are you could be charged legally, or written up on your school record.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 07-17-2011 at 08:06 PM   #25
SydWitches
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

I cant believe the number of stupid comments here, most of you just seem to be against marijuana, not what the kids is actually asking. let me go over where everyone is wrong

@ replekia, sure the stuff smells, thats why you make sure you blow smoke out the window. if you use an airfreshner the remaining smell will be gone by the hour, I smoke in my bathroom a lot, my parents who are very strict have no clue

@Sara, you don't seem remotely involved in that stuff, how would you know whether a person could function or not if they used it responsibly, not from personal experience of course

@Mohit, the amount of carcinogens is almost negligible, marijuana has been smoked since ancient times, where are all the people with cancer?

@ Jo Wai, its called a grocery bag over the smoke detector, never had a problem

adaptation likes this.
Old 07-17-2011 at 08:11 PM   #26
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydWitches View Post
I cant believe the number of stupid comments here, most of you just seem to be against marijuana, not what the kids is actually asking. let me go over where everyone is wrong

@ replekia, sure the stuff smells, thats why you make sure you blow smoke out the window. if you use an airfreshner the remaining smell will be gone by the hour, I smoke in my bathroom a lot, my parents who are very strict have no clue

@Sara, you don't seem remotely involved in that stuff, how would you know whether a person could function or not if they used it responsibly, not from personal experience of course

@Mohit, the amount of carcinogens is almost negligible, marijuana has been smoked since ancient times, where are all the people with cancer?

@ Jo Wai, its called a grocery bag over the smoke detector, never had a problem
I believe that your decision to smoke is a personal choice, and as long as you are using your substances responsibly, really a decision for the individual.

The problem occurs when your personal enjoyment begins infringing on public safety, like people who smoke and drive.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-17-2011 at 08:15 PM   #27
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:

that works fine for one person, but if you have friends with you chances are it's not going to. That stuff spreads quickly and in no time at all. My roommate tried all the same precautions, I'm telling you it's not going to work, especially since the wind blows INWARD when you open a window...
and air fresheners only work for small areas and really do nothing to cover the smell. I'm sure to people who are used to it and have acclimatized to the smell a little febreeze makes it go away, but to those who are not, they can still smell it through your crappy air fresheners. If your floor has CAs who don't suck at their job you are going to get caught, that's all there is to it.

And you're an jerk if you smoke and put a bag over the fire alarm. You've become twice as bad a fire hazard. Like a said earlier, that one is a huge fine and is taken WAY more seriously than even the smoking is. That being said, I did have to use my fire extinguisher once because my roommate started a fire and he had his alarm covered. In the end he was kicked out of Mac.
Old 07-17-2011 at 08:16 PM   #28
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:

You're right, most of the comments are against marijuana itself not responding to the question(s). I'm not, and that's not the point. But anyway, I should have elaborated. All I was implying is that there are much more important things to worry about in first year besides weed. And yes, it is a personal choice, but with just a little bit of simple logic, it should be obvious that there smoking indoors isn't exactly ideal. and a simple solution to that, would be to do so outdoors. That way, the individual can do all they want without running the risk of getting fined, getting into trouble by the CAs, or inflicting their personal choice upon those around them, who have equal rights as the individual.

Old 07-17-2011 at 08:17 PM  
AKG5

Liked: 0 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 07-17-2011 at 08:20 PM   #29
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Dude buy a ****ing vape, problem solved.

EDIT: Less unhealthy, no danger regarding fires, no smell. ez-pz