MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course selection dilemma larizhou First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 06-23-2011 05:14 PM
elective dilemma Chevalier Academics 5 06-05-2011 06:09 PM
Math dilemma Europe1010 Academics 13 02-09-2011 01:25 PM
dilemma sana.banana Academics 26 01-20-2011 01:13 PM
Level II dilemma..... please help jeff87 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-23-2009 11:54 AM

A Sniffling Dilemma

Old 12-18-2011 at 05:45 AM   #1
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

A Sniffling Dilemma
Hi,
Yesterday I had an exam, and I really had to blow my nose during the exam, but I hadn't brought tissues because I thought that if I just took out a tissue the invigilator might think I was cheating. If I asked and showed them the tissue before I used it, do you think that would be all right? Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2011 at 05:56 AM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Are you serious?

I brought an entire roll of toilet paper to an exam last year. And used it all.
And I didn't ask for permission to blow my nose.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-18-2011 at 06:59 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

bring a toilet roll/kleenex box. bring ur own trash can. ppl wont look at u
Old 12-18-2011 at 10:28 AM   #4
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

My roomate had this problem last week and he was fine, so don't worry.
Old 12-18-2011 at 12:53 PM   #5
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Hi,
Yesterday I had an exam, and I really had to blow my nose during the exam, but I hadn't brought tissues because I thought that if I just took out a tissue the invigilator might think I was cheating. If I asked and showed them the tissue before I used it, do you think that would be all right? Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Yeah, you're being way too overcautious. In general, most invigilators won't call you out or approach you unless it's extremely obvious you're cheating or you look suspicious multiple times, because their job is also to minimize disturbing the other students as much as possible.

Like, if you think they'd suspect you of cheating, what could the invigilators reasonably do? If they'd call you out, there's a high chance of them being wrong and embarrassing themselves, and no one wants to do that

p.s. that blonde invigilator in IWC1 is kind of a jerk, she might call you out. I had my eye on her for a small chunk of the exam anyway, but not because I was afraid I'd get caught.

Zebedee says thanks to Entropy for this post.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 12-18-2011 at 01:18 PM   #6
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

If anything they will come over and look at your kleenex on their own without saying anything then go away when they realize you aren't cheating.

In exams I ADD out or get hot and put on a jacket and then take it off and put it back on and put my hood up and down etc. An invigilator will come by and obviously look at me almost every time i fidget but since its obvious I'm not cheating they aren't going to do or say anything. As long as you aren't cheating you aren't acting suspicious and you won't even get called out.

Zebedee says thanks to TroubleStorm for this post.
Old 12-18-2011 at 01:51 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post

p.s. that blonde invigilator in IWC1 is kind of a jerk, she might call you out. I had my eye on her for a small chunk of the exam anyway, but not because I was afraid I'd get caught.

Old 12-18-2011 at 04:20 PM   #8
olive2

Liked: 29 Times

the second my butt hit the seat in an exam my hand is in the air, when they come over I ask for kleenex and they deliver a box and let you take as many as you want. if you tell them you are sick and not feeling good, they keep an extra close eye on you and throughout the exam as your desk kleenex supply gets low they bring you more. its like being catered to during an exam.... I just like to get the most out of my tuition $$$$$$

Old 12-18-2011 at 04:57 PM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

On a related note,

For the love of God, if you have a cold BLOW YOUR NOSE SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO SNIFFLE EVERY 15 SECONDS. I promise everyone will forgive you for the 30 seconds of noise you make.
Old 12-18-2011 at 06:17 PM   #10
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

i take 2 advil cold&sinus about 20 minutes before the exam and it drys my nose right up

BlueWave likes this.
Old 12-18-2011 at 06:32 PM   #11
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Was in your situation last year. Really bad cold last year. I thought I could handle it but half way through it was just pouring mucus out my nose like nobody's business. After both my face and hands were drenched I had to get some kleenex which the invigilator provided.

BlueWave likes this.
Old 12-18-2011 at 07:38 PM   #12
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post

Lmao. There's another one in IWC, she wears a scarf. So freak'n rude. She held people's wrists to stop writing right when the clock ticked the last minute allowed for the exam.

Was sitting on the first seat, facing her. No wonder why I wasn't getting any ideas for the essay section.
Old 12-20-2011 at 01:02 PM   #13
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Last year I had an awful cold and despite the cold meds, needed a small support section for symptoms. My rt corner had ID and extra pen. My left corner had cough drops, kleenex and chap stick. No one cared and the older woman came by about 3 times during the 3 hr exam just to ask if I needed anything. She's adorable.

BlueWave likes this.
Old 12-21-2011 at 11:31 AM   #14
cucuz

Liked: 0 Times

it's cool, they won't care
Old 12-21-2011 at 11:56 AM   #15
PinkiePie

Liked: 6 Times

Bring tissues, but I would avoid the box. I would also show the invigilator before the exam starts, if nothing else it will put you at ease. Also bring something to put the used tissues in that won't block the isle, doesn't have writing on it, and doesn't make noise when you use it. GOOD LUCK!