MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Fail??? mfattal General Discussion 23 09-20-2010 02:51 PM
To fail, or not to fail? That is the question... sniderj Academics 13 04-22-2010 06:09 PM
what happens if you fail a course.. xsanx Academics 13 04-21-2010 09:57 PM
Fail, Fail, Fail??? nikJ Academics 1 01-03-2010 01:52 AM
fail?? nikJ Academics 5 10-26-2009 09:05 PM

So what exactly happens when you fail a course?

Old 11-25-2012 at 05:42 PM   #1
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

So what exactly happens when you fail a course?
My average so far is around 50%, so it's not absolutely certain that I'll fail the course, but just in case.. I'm curious to know what would happen..
So this is just an elective, and I don't need it as a prerequisite to get into my second year program.. but I know this is gonna affect the amount of credits.. so would I be able to get into a second year program with only 27 credits? ... and if I decide to take the course in the summer, approximately how much would that cost? .. and will 1 failed first year elective affect my chances of getting into grad school too much, or do most grad school place more emphasis on how well you do in your majors in upper years?

p.s.. hopefully I'll pass and won't even need to know this info,
wish me luck!
Old 11-25-2012 at 05:52 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
My average so far is around 50%, so it's not absolutely certain that I'll fail the course, but just in case.. I'm curious to know what would happen..
So this is just an elective, and I don't need it as a prerequisite to get into my second year program.. but I know this is gonna affect the amount of credits.. so would I be able to get into a second year program with only 27 credits? ... and if I decide to take the course in the summer, approximately how much would that cost? .. and will 1 failed first year elective affect my chances of getting into grad school too much, or do most grad school place more emphasis on how well you do in your majors in upper years?

p.s.. hopefully I'll pass and won't even need to know this info,
wish me luck!
You can usually get into 2nd yr with 27 units, but you will have to make up those units at some point. You could do it next term if you want, or any time thereafter. Double check with an adviser that you can enter your 2nd yr program of choice, though.
The per-unit cost charts are on the student accounts and cashiers website. Prob between $550-$650.
If you fail, it counts as a 0 towards your CA.
If you have one failed course and its clearly an anomaly, you should be fine.
Old 11-25-2012 at 05:54 PM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

1. Yes, you can be accepted to a second year program with under 30 units - the minimum is 24.

2. It will cost the same amount to make up a course in the summer as it did this time around
- tuition is charged per unit.

3. Grad schools will primarily look at your final two years but some will ask you to explain failed marks in early years.