MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software and Embedded 2nd Year kanishka Academics 0 08-16-2010 07:22 AM
Switching from Software Engineering to Game Design Rail24 Academics 6 06-15-2010 01:44 PM
McMaster Software Engineering Game Design andru Gaming 7 01-09-2010 10:42 PM
GPA for software-embedded? nikJ Academics 7 10-20-2009 03:51 PM
Mac's Software engineering and game design program rick Academics 5 09-09-2009 09:22 PM

Software Embedded versus Game Design?

Old 03-16-2009 at 08:04 PM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

What's wrong with Software?

I never really wanted to do engineering that much, and was originally contemplating computer science, but Software is like computer science + an engineering degree + awesome.

Just because it has a low entrance average doesn't mean it sucks...
Old 03-18-2009 at 06:47 PM   #17
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

software has a low entrance average because not a lot of people want to go into software... it doesnt mean that its easier or less valuable...

its actually better for the people that WANT to go into software because they are almost certain to get in...

i personally dont like the game design stream.... everyone eventually grows out of computer games... i would not want to work for a gaming industry because games dont accomplish anything... they're just for fun... metaphorically, game designers are strippers in the computer world... they're there just for fun...

Also, the stream of JUST software engineering is not bad... i personally dont care what my marks are.. i just want to get as much as i can from my studies... so taking less courses.. or taking extra electives such as Economics seems to me as a waste of my time....

This is why i chose embedded systems... Not only you do EVERYTHING that just software stream does, you get to learn the hardware which i think is very important to make efficient software...

here is a good example: everyone wants to crack hashes like MD5 as quickly and efficiently as possible... and someone in europe.. i cant remember the country, found out that the cpu on a specific video card actually computes the hashes much faster than an intel or amd cpu.. this was along the lines of that the cpu's on the video card used more rounded numbers which made the cpu very efficient to the computation of the hash... this means that intel/amd cpu's did extra unnecessary work, slowing down the whole process..

-snaps
Old 03-18-2009 at 07:52 PM   #18
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

So in other words, Software Engineering is serious business.
Old 03-18-2009 at 09:37 PM   #19
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

woah woah, everyone grows out of computer games? It seem like the gaming industry is growing exponentially. Game design has all the elements of engineering, and every aspect. For example, engines, physics, animation, AI, shadering, control systems and stuff like nartual motion dynamics (very sexy).

Old 03-18-2009 at 09:51 PM   #20
snaps

lol.. i just think that there is no real point in making games so some thirty year old that hasn't grown up yet can stay at home and play WOW... playing games once in a while isnt bad.. but some people i know do nothing else...

and also i think there is a big difference between "Game Design" and what you described: "engines, physics, animation, AI, etc.." because thats actually very interesting.. doesnt have to be used just for games... its like paying a stripper and telling her to do your laundry...
Old 03-18-2009 at 10:09 PM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
and also i think there is a big difference between "Game Design" and what you described: "engines, physics, animation, AI, etc.." because thats actually very interesting.. doesnt have to be used just for games... its like paying a stripper and telling her to do your laundry...
My boss over the past summer (software engineer) said game design is probably the most intense out of all the streams within software since you are literally designing a physical environment within a computer. Online MMORPG type games on the server side are apparently some of the most sophisticated and complex programs ever created, since they're literally networking thousands of players and allowing them to interact simultaneously in real time.

I'm confused why you wouldn't think that game design would include physics, animation or AI, considering that a lot of games are animated physical 3D environments normally including players controlled by the computer :p.

Embedded does sound somewhat interesting and all, but I have a feeling I would get bored too easily in that. Circuits and stuff is pretty cool, but I don't think I'm interested enough to want to do that as a career.

P.S. Everybody loves video games in some form or another.
Old 03-18-2009 at 10:24 PM   #22
snaps

everyone prefers something different...

its not that i dont think game design includes the things listed... i just think its a waste to use those things for our own amusement... artificial intelligence, virtual environments, virtual physics can all be used by other engineering streams for research etc... but like i said before... using virtual physics to simulate someone getting his fukin brains splattered on the wall seems retarded..

i am not saying that everyone should stop making games because its useless... I am just giving you my own personal reason why i dislike game design and chose embedded...

you know we are basically in the same faculty and we still manage to criticize each other.. lol
Old 03-18-2009 at 10:40 PM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

You aren't a very fun person, are you...
Old 03-18-2009 at 10:42 PM   #24
snaps

and youre that person that plays wow during class eh..
Old 03-18-2009 at 10:43 PM   #25
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
and youre that person that plays wow during class eh..
I've never played WoW in my life.
Old 03-18-2009 at 10:46 PM   #26
snaps

and you are in game design? lol
Old 03-18-2009 at 10:50 PM   #27
snaps

stick to one side.. first you try to say how game design is sweet and now you are trying to defend yourself that you NEVER played some game... ur an idiot...
Old 03-18-2009 at 11:08 PM   #28
Penguin

Liked: 1 Time

that has got to be THE most faulty logic I have ever heard. Those two things don't even relate, smart guy. What are you trying to pull?
Old 03-18-2009 at 11:16 PM   #29
snaps

a person that doesnt play games and a person that wants to make them i think relates...

i dont really want to argue anymore.. lets just leave it at this... i hate arguments on the internet coz you cant see who you are arguing with..
Old 03-18-2009 at 11:20 PM   #30
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
stick to one side.. first you try to say how game design is sweet and now you are trying to defend yourself that you NEVER played some game... ur an idiot...
No, I have seriously never played World of Warcraft or any MMORPG for that matter. Unless you count Neopets, which I only played when I was maybe 10 or 11, but that's besides the fact.

I don't actually play games much at all; it died down for me years ago. That doesn't mean I can't like the idea of them. I'm interested in programming and simulation of things like graphics and artificial intelligence, and game design is the closest thing to it. I would hardly call that a waste of time.

I don't know what's up with you. There can still be innovation from designing games in the real world - those algorithms used for controlling virtual players can also be used for actual artificial intelligence (assuming that ever happens).

And no, I'm not in Game Design. I'm in first year engineering and am at the moment considering all my options for second year. Please refer to the beginning of the thread.

Being stuck in a state of dogma isn't going to get you anywhere in life...