MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mayor Responds to Student Concerns about Stadium finklej MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-04-2010 04:32 PM
Questions!!! Pinakin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-11-2010 12:55 AM
What are your biggest concerns/worries for this new school year? b_sunshine55 General Discussion 132 09-06-2009 01:39 AM
Residence Concerns (2009) lorend Residence & Housing 368 09-03-2009 09:59 AM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM

Some questions...and concerns

Old 02-13-2011 at 05:42 PM   #1
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Some questions...and concerns
I'm hoping to go to mac, but I just got my first semester marks back and got 81 in Bio, 83 in Advanced Functions and 87 in Chemistry....Thats 83.67. I will probably get a high 80 average at midterm for 2nd semester. I was wondering if its good enough to get into Life Sciences at Mac or Waterloo even. And I was also wondering because if its not good enough, could I change my application to Environmental Science or something easier because I hear first year is same for all sciences pretty much anyways or is it too late for that?
Old 02-13-2011 at 05:59 PM   #2
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

You can easily switch between the Sciences at Mac, just make sure you take the required courses needed to switch. And its definitely not too late, but make sure to make a decision.
Old 02-13-2011 at 07:53 PM   #3
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I'd definitely apply to both life science and enviro sci as a back-up if I were in your position(I did it too). With either one, if you pick your courses wisely you can enter into any second year science course (with the exception of math & stats / comp sci which are only included in teh faculty of science since they don't have their own faculty yet).

Also if you really do want to get into science, I suggest trying your hardest for Mac over Waterloo. Don't get me wrong, Waterloo is a wonderful school if you like math/engineering that is. They aren't exactly known for science and their science faculty is much smaller compared to ours. You'd get a better science education here at Mac, especially in your upper years.
Old 02-13-2011 at 08:09 PM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Thanks, but I mean like, I applied already and everything. I'm in my final semester at high school, but I don't know if I will get in to Life Science. I was wondering if its still possible to apply to Environmental Science because the deadline was early January. I'm confident my overall average will be around 85, but I'm not sure if its good enough.
Old 02-13-2011 at 09:00 PM   #5
REPLEKIA/.

oh sorry, I must have skimmed over it a little too fast... life Sci is usually 84-86.. so you would have a decent shot at getting in with an 85.

I'm not sure if it is possible to change admission applications at this point. You should talk to your Councillor at your school
Old 02-13-2011 at 09:01 PM   #6
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

i was told i wouldn't get into life sci with an 85.66 and i was told to apply to enviro sci because you take the same courses and within 2 days of applying i was accepted! So if you really wanna go to mac and your average isn't high enough, definitely apply for enviro sci and just take the courses a life sci student takes! It says you need to take 2 enviro sci courses but if you have no intention of graduating with a degree in enviro sci you can take 2 electives instead!

Last year the cutoff for life sci was 87 i believe!
Old 02-13-2011 at 09:12 PM   #7
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

You can even do Soc Sci and switch in to Science, which is what I'm doing.
Old 02-13-2011 at 09:16 PM   #8
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

last years cut off was 87 correct
Old 02-13-2011 at 09:46 PM   #9
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times

Ultimately, it's down to how hard you work. As current students, we can give you our general ideas about your possible options, but your best bet in this case would be to really put in that extra effort to bring your marks up this semester. A lot of 80-average students have the abilities to be 90-average students, they just have to push themselves to do better.

Is life sci the only program you applied to at Mac?

Good luck with the rest of the semester!
Old 02-14-2011 at 08:58 AM   #10
Silver
Elite Member

Yea, life science was all I applied for. I had a 90 average at the end of December which is why I applied to life science, but basketball brought be down greatly. Well, I also got lazy too lol. So there's no way for me to get into Mac or change my application to something easier? Danggg
Old 02-14-2011 at 09:00 AM   #11
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
I know a guy who got in with an 85.4 average, so I doubt that 87 is correct. I would be willing to bet, that if anything, the 87% is the cut off for the first rounds of admissions, and it gets lowered for the second round of admissions.

As far as I know the cut off is never publicly released, so don't trust anyone who gives you an exact number on admission averages.
Old 02-14-2011 at 09:02 AM   #12
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

it was for sure 87 last year because i got a letter saying that i wouldn't be accepted because the cut off was 87
Old 02-14-2011 at 09:05 AM   #13
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebenyovi View Post
it was for sure 87 last year because i got a letter saying that i wouldn't be accepted because the cut off was 87
Yet your status says you're in first year life sci??

Also, I'm fairly sure the rejection letters don't mention the admission cut off.
Old 02-14-2011 at 10:44 AM   #14
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Yet your status says you're in first year life sci??

Also, I'm fairly sure the rejection letters don't mention the admission cut off.
If you read her posts she says she is technically in enviro sci and shadowing life sci...she probably just set her thing to say life sci since that is what she wants to go into.
Old 02-14-2011 at 11:37 AM   #15
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
I know a guy who got in with an 85.4 average, so I doubt that 87 is correct.
You should take note of the fact that the average required to get into a particular program is different depending on your high school. When I applied, the so called 'cutoff' was mid 80's but I had an 83 average, but I was still admitted. At the same time, I heard of students from different schools that weren't accepted who had an average that was higher than mine.
If your school school has a reputation for being easy, then you probably need a higher average, and conversely, if your school has a reputation for being hard, then your average probably doesn't need to be as high.